The Student Room Group

Hitlers titles.

can some one please confirm something.

after Hitler lost the Battle of Moscow, he fired Brauchitsch and quoting wiki: "took personal charge of the Wehrmacht,[49] effectively taking control of all military decisions and setting most experienced German officers against him".

it says that Brauchitsch had previously been the "commander-in-chief". so is this the title Hitler gave himself?

in a book i have it says that he made himself: Army Chief in Command (as well as being Head of State and Supreme Commander).

which one is correct?

thanks for the help to whoever answers :smile: (i ask because googling "Army Chief in Command Hitler" didnt produce what i was looking for)..

edit: also, would it be correct to say that Hitler first adopted his new title (by firing the previous person in charge) and THEN gave the "Stand fast" order?
Hitler appointed himself the head of the OKW (Oberkommando das Wehrmacht) so would, I THINK, have been Oberbefehlshaber der OKW or something. It's been too long since I did this!

I suppose you've got problems translating the German terms into English; a different translation would mean a different title being quoted by thehistorian in question. Perhaps you could leave the title in the original German so that it's as free from this bias/taint/whatever as it can be?

Latest

Trending

Trending