The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Got tickets for England's warm-up against Holland at Wembley in March. Hope to see some exciting young players starting - namely Alli and Kane.
Original post by 6thformer25
I understand what you are trying to say but making that statement is pointless since that will never happen and we have to stop comparing to Bayern... Yes he has Lewandoski alongside him to help but i think Germany have better midfielders to assist him like Kroos , Schweinstieger, Ozil, Gotze, Schurlle, Reus and Draxler
(...)

The midfield is the showpiece of the German squad. All what we need is a striker who is able to score after good assists. Müller is very effective in it, although he is rather a midfielder (has qualities of a striker nevertheless). But what comes next to Müller? maybe Kruse? would give Volland credits too.
Original post by Kallisto
The midfield is the showpiece of the German squad. All what we need is a striker who is able to score after good assists. Müller is very effective in it, although he is rather a midfielder (has qualities of a striker nevertheless). But what comes next to Müller? maybe Kruse? would give Volland credits too.

Yeah that was my point that due to the strength of the mid you dont need the best striker.. And none of them compare to muller
I aint a german fan btw xD
Thoughts on the Englad squad? Can't believe Walcott is in. Would've had Antonio over him, personally.
Walcott is straight up stealing a living atm
Original post by The Wavefunction
Thoughts on the Englad squad? Can't believe Walcott is in. Would've had Antonio over him, personally.

Moussa Sissoko always gets picked for France even when playing for a relegation-threatened club...
Reply 106

More concerned about the dreadful kit, mate. What are Nike playing at?
Original post by shawn_o1
Moussa Sissoko always gets picked for France even when playing for a relegation-threatened club...

Yeah, that's baffling in itself, but France, at least on paper, look very strong. Midfield of Pogba, Matuidi and Diarra/Payet/Kante looks daunting. Plus their kit is unbelievably gorgeous.

Original post by Mackay
More concerned about the dreadful kit, mate. What are Nike playing at?

Think it looks decent, personally.
Reply 108
Yeah, that's baffling in itself, but France, at least on paper, look very strong. Midfield of Pogba, Matuidi and Diarra/Payet/Kante looks daunting. Plus their kit is unbelievably gorgeous.

Think it looks decent, personally.

It would look decent if they swapped the socks around.
In a 4-4-1-1

Butland

Flanagan/Stones/Smalling/Shaw

Barkley/Dier/Wilshere/Alli

Sturridge/Kane

The plan would be that as Alli and Barkley aren't natural wide players, we used Flanagan and Shaw as the width and use Dier to cover, with Wilshere as the pivot in the midfield.

Possible issues:

Shaw not recovered in time- Ryan Bertrand would be my back up.

Flanagan not selected by Roy- Clyne would come in.

Wanting to play with a 5 man midfield- In this case Sterling would have to come in for Sturridge or Kane.
Reply 110
Bale to miss Wales' friendlies, because Real Madrid demanded so. Ha.

Also interesting that Diego Costa has been omitted by Spain.
Original post by richpanda
In a 4-4-1-1

Butland

Flanagan/Stones/Smalling/Shaw

Barkley/Dier/Wilshere/Alli

Sturridge/Kane

The plan would be that as Alli and Barkley aren't natural wide players, we used Flanagan and Shaw as the width and use Dier to cover, with Wilshere as the pivot in the midfield.

Possible issues:

Shaw not recovered in time- Ryan Bertrand would be my back up.

Flanagan not selected by Roy- Clyne would come in.

Wanting to play with a 5 man midfield- In this case Sterling would have to come in for Sturridge or Kane.

Were you drunk when you picked that team? Assuming you had to be to pick Wilshere.

Original post by Mackay
Bale to miss Wales' friendlies, because Real Madrid demanded so. Ha.

Also interesting that Diego Costa has been omitted by Spain.

Think it's the right decision. The only thing that matters is that he's in the squad come June/July. Although the whole "it was a joint decision by both Real and the FAW" is funny.

Nice to see Aduriz get picked, though.
Were you drunk when you picked that team? Assuming you had to be to pick Wilshere.

Nope perfectly sober:wink: a fit wilshere played in his correct position is England's best player. Let's see your preferred line up then, assuming every player is fit.
Nope perfectly sober:wink: a fit wilshere played in his correct position is England's best player. Let's see your preferred line up then, assuming every player is fit.

Fit Wilshere is a bit of an oxymoron though. The man's legs are made of glass.

Being Welsh my preffered line up would be something a lot different, but I think the best XI would be;

Hart,
Walker, Stones, Smalling, Cresswell.
Sterling, Henderson, Alii, Antonio
Kane, Sturridge.

I think Roy will go with something similar to that but with Bertrand, Milner, and he'll play Rooney.
Fit Wilshere is a bit of an oxymoron though. The man's legs are made of glass.

Being Welsh my preffered line up would be something a lot different, but I think the best XI would be;

Hart,
Walker, Stones, Smalling, Cresswell.
Sterling, Henderson, Alii, Antonio
Kane, Sturridge.

I think Roy will go with something similar to that but with Bertrand, Milner, and he'll play Rooney.

I think I can see a West Ham fan? I can't believe you've put Henderson in, the fact that he's even near the squad is a disgrace, absolute fraud, I'm dead serious. I agree with the centre back pairing and the strikers though. Knowing Roy, this will be our line up (which you'll love)

Hart

Clyne, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines

Milner, Delph, Henderson, Welbeck

Walcott, Rooney
I think I can see a West Ham fan? I can't believe you've put Henderson in, the fact that he's even near the squad is a disgrace, absolute fraud, I'm dead serious. I agree with the centre back pairing and the strikers though. Knowing Roy, this will be our line up (which you'll love)

Hart

Clyne, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines

Milner, Delph, Henderson, Welbeck

Walcott, Rooney

Nah, not a West Ham fan. Been a fan of Cresswell since his Ipswich days, and picked Antonio as I like a genuine winger playing out wide, and he's probably the second best that England have at the moment.
Picking Henderson is more of a reflection on the quality of central midfielders at England's disposal. The best of a mediocre bunch!

Can't see him playing Walcott ahead of Kane/Vardy/Sturridge. Bale would tear that left hand side a new one.
Reply 116

Think it's the right decision. The only thing that matters is that he's in the squad come June/July. Although the whole "it was a joint decision by both Real and the FAW" is funny.

That was more what I was getting at. So, basically, Real demanded he didn't play. Haha!
What I think should be our Euro 2016 Starting XI:

Butland
Clyne Smalling Cahill Gibbs
Milner Drinkwater
Townsend Sterling Oxlade-Chamberlain
Vardy

Probably won't be, Woy will probably start Hart and Wooney regardless of form
Reply 118
Original post by TheGiantPunkGooner

Butland
Milner Drinkwater
Vardy

Haha.
Original post by TheGiantPunkGooner

Butland
Milner Drinkwater
Vardy

Obvious biased Arsenal fan. What have Chamberlain and Milner done to play ahead of Alli and Dier?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest