The Student Room Group

Turkish troops illegally occupy Iraq, but shooting down a Russian jets is ok?

Pure hypocrisy! A few weeks ago Turkey shot down a Russian jet for being too closed to its border, yet now the Turkish army can enter Iraq without permission and set up a base. Not to mention the many years of uninvited Turkish air raids against the Kurds inside sovereign Iraqi territory.

Just what is Turkey playing at?
They're using the 'crossing the border' incident as an excuse to get involved with military action.
Reply 2
Original post by Ambitious1999
Pure hypocrisy! A few weeks ago Turkey shot down a Russian jet for being too closed to its border, yet now the Turkish army can enter Iraq without permission and set up a base. Not to mention the many years of uninvited Turkish air raids against the Kurds inside sovereign Iraqi territory.

The hypocrisy is indeed astounding, but at the same time predictable. This is a clear violation of Iraq's sovereignty and a violation of international law, yet Turkey are allowed, by the West and NATO, to get away with it.

Iraq have every right to attack the Turkish troops and force them out of the country, but this would cause a major incident, so it's right that they're trying to pressure NATO and the UN into doing something. Russia is allegedly in Turkish airspace for 17 seconds and their jets are attacked, while Turkey have now been violating Iraqi sovereignty for days.

And this is, of course, the same Turkey which may have been involved in direct dealings with ISIS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
The hypocrisy is indeed astounding, but at the same time predictable. This is a clear violation of Iraq's sovereignty and a violation of international law, yet Turkey are allowed, by the West and NATO, to get away with it.

Iraq have every right to attack the Turkish troops and force them out of the country, but this would cause a major incident, so it's right that they're trying to pressure NATO and the UN into doing something. Russia is allegedly in Turkish airspace for 17 seconds and their jets are attacked, while Turkey have now been violating Iraqi sovereignty for days.

And this is, of course, the same Turkey which may have been involved in direct dealings with ISIS.

Why would Iraq care?
Reply 4
Given Iraq's inability to control or secure its own borders I don't think it can really complain much about nearby nations taking their security into their own hands.
Original post by Ambitious1999

Russia would happily shoot down any unidentified warplanes entering their airspace.

Russian troops are illegally in Ukraine....
Original post by viddy9

As has Assad.
Reply 7
Original post by Cato the Elder
As has Assad.

I suspect Assad has been dealing with ISIS too, yes, though I haven't looked into it fully.
Reply 9

I haven't looked into it fully because I haven't had time, and I'm already opposed to Assad so learning about this would hardly surprise me.

Thank you for the links.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending