The Student Room Group

Maybe its just me???

Hey just a bit of a random post to announce somthing that kinda pisses me off! Somthing that really annoys me is people posting their GCSE & A-level results as a signature on their post! Like wot is the point? Is it just a chance to show off or intimidate people? I dont get it? Im not jealous because i also did well in my GCSE's but dont feal the need to show it off. I mean they are just exam results and i dont believe they attribute 2 a persons character or anything. So wot is the point?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe they are just proud?

Like I put I'm a teacher in my sig - because I'm proud of my achievement.

(Wouldn't put my GCSE's there though :p:)
Personal preference i guess... although i think if people care enough about that user they will look in their academic info in their profile.... but if they must be in their sig then i don't mind as long as they are in a spoiler/expanding function.
It's because they're proud of it, and more practically, when enquiring in the careers/university section, users can see their qualifications at a glance and tailor their advice accordingly.
Reply 4
I like it, gives me someone to neg.
Hmm, it's actually very useful in certain subforums, e.g. in the Medicine one, everyone always asks what GCSES/Alevels/BMAT did you get, and rather than have to say it each time, it's easier.
Reply 6
:sucks:
:anjurdsg:
Reply 8
:stink:
I want a smilie :frown:
Reply 10
sus_clarke
Hey just a bit of a random post to announce somthing that kinda pisses me off! Somthing that really annoys me is people posting their GCSE & A-level results as a signature on their post! Like wot is the point? Is it just a chance to show off or intimidate people? I dont get it? Im not jealous because i also did well in my GCSE's but dont feal the need to show it off. I mean they are just exam results and i dont believe they attribute 2 a persons character or anything. So wot is the point?

I'm with you bro!!!!!!! I have been railing about this since forever. I have very good results so it isn't a jealousy thing, but I think there is a thing as being quietly confident. Let us not rub salt in the wound of those who may not have done quite so well.

There can be a fair bit of intellectual snobbery on TSR at times.
Fair enough, but for some people it is relevant , i.e. as I said in the Medicine forum so people can get an idea of what you need to get in. Also there's nothing wrong with being happy with what you got - this is the Student Room! So exams are relevant!
Reply 12
icantthinkofacoolusername
I want a smilie :frown:

you can have one:love:

Spoiler

Reply 13
sus_clarke
So wot is the point?

To each his (or her) own. As long as it's not breaking rules/laws or hurting anyone, people are entitled to do what they want.
Reply 14
Philosoraptor
Fair enough, but for some people it is relevant , i.e. as I said in the Medicine forum so people can get an idea of what you need to get in. Also there's nothing wrong with being happy with what you got - this is the Student Room! So exams are relevant!

I'm very happy with my results, but I think you should only mention them when they are relevant. For instance, if posting about whether you might be able to study Medicine with the grades you have, state those grades. That would be totally appropriate.

I'm not really one of those 'mustn't offend' people, but I do think there are some people on here who may not have done as well as they hoped and they might not relish seeing an inordinately long list of A*s. I think the majority of people do this to brag. If the main motive was to receive better advice re. careers etc. from other posters, those with poorer grades would post theirs up, but they rarely do.

It's not as though I hate such people.It's not much of an issue and I can understand why people would be proud of their achievements.I just like more low key pride.

Oh, and like someone else mentioned, writing your grades in your profile is a fair bit better than having them all in your sig.
sus_clarke

I agree.
Im proud of results I have and things ive done or achieved but I actually have no desire to share it with a bunch of randomers on the internet. If its relevent to the conversation, im more than willing to add to the discussion, but having it there constantly for all to see kind of asumes that other people actually care when they probably dont.

I dont believe everyone is 100% honest about what they got anyway.
Well, either that or there are alot or really dim people with poor spelling and bad grammer ect in here all supposidly with A* in English
Hehe I used to have them in my sig :p:
Reply 17
:stink:
Fair enough, but there is an element of modesty here. It's all very good receiving good results for your exams and courses, but it is irrelevant to rub it in the faces of those who may not have done so well, or even to provoke people who have achieved higher and feel the need to taunt or take the piss.
Feel proud of what you achieve but don't brag...
anjurdsg
you can have one:love:

Spoiler

Aww thanks sweetie :love:

Latest