The Student Room Group

I want to become a Stock Broker - Can I get a timeline?

I REALLY want to become a stock broker. I'm from the UK and am retaking my A-Levels starting from scratch, this time doing:
- Physics
- Psychology
- History

After college, I'd like to study Finance and Accounting at Brighton University.

After that, what do I do?
What do I need to achieve, to tick of my list to work for the BEST stock brokerage there is?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!
Consider doing maths as an a level or considering at least practising your mental arithmetic because that's pretty important for stockbrokers apparently.

Good degree choice. I am pretty interested in becoming a stockbroker/trader as well.
Reply 2
Original post by Coollad1999
Consider doing maths as an a level or considering at least practising your mental arithmetic because that's pretty important for stockbrokers apparently.

Good degree choice. I am pretty interested in becoming a stockbroker/trader as well.

I couldn't do maths again this year, I was encouraged, by staff members, to call out the awful teaching of my actual teacher - and in return I was silenced by the head of maths and declined the chance to re-do it. :frown:
Reply 3
Anyone?
Reply 4
Bump?
Post this in the investment banking section. It might get more views that way since that thread is more popular.
Original post by Results
I REALLY want to become a stock broker. I'm from the UK and am retaking my A-Levels starting from scratch, this time doing:
- Physics
- Psychology
- History

After college, I'd like to study Finance and Accounting at Brighton University.

After that, what do I do?
What do I need to achieve, to tick of my list to work for the BEST stock brokerage there is?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!

Stock broking is long gone mate, traders have computer programmes to book their trades now. Brokers still exist for less 'liquid' products, especially so for complex derivative products/commodities - no one really needs them for equities (stock).

Tbh, why not just become a trader? A broker is basically the person that listens to a traders instructions, then facilitates the trade.

- Do Maths A-level if you can, get into a top target uni (Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Imperial)/semi-target uni (Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Bath, Edinburgh, KCL etc). I'd probably recommend doing something quantitative, but you're looking for a more sales-y job so it's not that necessary.

- Apply for spring weeks/insight weeks in the Markets (Sales and Trading) division of investment banks + brokerages (i.e. ICAP)

- Convert to a summer internship (or apply again to all the banks and any brokers, if you didn't convert/you recieved 0 spring weeks)

- Convert that summer to a grad job

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Stock broking is long gone mate, traders have computer programmes to book their trades now. Brokers still exist for less 'liquid' products, especially so for complex derivative products/commodities - no one really needs them for equities (stock)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whilst the old stock broker model involving retail investors has been replaced by financial advisors/wealth managers, corporate stock broking does still exist for companies looking to raise equity finance.

Example:
http://www.numiscorp.com/x/corporateBroking.html
Original post by Delirium.
Whilst the old stock broker model involving retail investors has been replaced by financial advisors/wealth managers, corporate stock broking does still exist for companies looking to raise equity finance.

Example:

That's not broking though, that's equity capital markets. ECM is usually within the investment banking/corporate finance division of most IBs.

They're responsible for IPOs, issuing shares to raise capital etc; almost nothing to do with traditional stock broking.
That's not broking though, that's equity capital markets. ECM is usually within the investment banking/corporate finance division of most IBs.

They're responsible for IPOs, issuing shares to raise capital etc; almost nothing to do with traditional stock broking.

I agree, except it is corporate stock broking. On main market the IB involved in ECM as you describe would be termed 'sponsor'. On AIM the term is 'broker'. However, I'm not disputing the content of your post, this is really just a discussion of semantics.

I'll edit just to add on AIM the broker may not be an IB but a corporate finance boutique.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Stock broking is long gone mate, traders have computer programmes to book their trades now. Brokers still exist for less 'liquid' products, especially so for complex derivative products/commodities - no one really needs them for equities (stock).

Tbh, why not just become a trader? A broker is basically the person that listens to a traders instructions, then facilitates the trade.

- Do Maths A-level if you can, get into a top target uni (Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Imperial)/semi-target uni (Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Bath, Edinburgh, KCL etc). I'd probably recommend doing something quantitative, but you're looking for a more sales-y job so it's not that necessary.

- Apply for spring weeks/insight weeks in the Markets (Sales and Trading) division of investment banks + brokerages (i.e. ICAP)

- Convert to a summer internship (or apply again to all the banks and any brokers, if you didn't convert/you recieved 0 spring weeks)

- Convert that summer to a grad job

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Delirium.

Example:

Thank you both so much for your input, I've read it over 5 times. I thought there would be less risk in broking and I could decrease the costs for when I begin trading myself as I could "broke" for myself...

Holy crap that grammar was awful..

Quick Reply

Latest