The Student Room Group

Am i allowed to discuss Cambridge interviews?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah, it's not as if they have complete and utter power over the outcome of Applicant X's application or anything...

How likely is it that an admissions tutor would find out about applicant X's friend posting interview questions online and tracing the source back to applicant X?

In the ridiculously unlikely event that this ever happened, applicant X's actions and their unfortunate repercussions may indeed provoke the admissions tutor not to offer them a place. But if applicant X has already been given a place, Cambridge can't revoke it because technically applicant X hasn't broken any rules.
The arrogant careers officer at my school sent round a form to all Oxbridge applicants asking for specific details about exactly what questions were asked in each interview. I referred him to the data protection agreement I had entered in to which got him off my back... Really, this is a man who claims to have studied LAW at CAMBRIDGE!

It's not so much that I think telling anyone would be likely to have any negative consequences for me. It just feels disingenuous somehow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
ill play it completely safe and just keep my mouth sealed tight :biggrin:
Original post by Snufkin
Your assumption that "or" refers to non-candidates seems pretty unlikely in my opinion

This is a simple exercise in reading comprehension. I make no assumptions; I merely accurately read what is written.

Original post by Snufkin

With regards to indirect communication, it states clearly that this only applies to email, websites, chat rooms and text messages - if it meant spoken conversations it would have said so.

Again, simple reading comprehension: the word "including" indicates that there are other modes of communication that are not in the list. This is reinforced by "any breach" (note, not "any breach except chats with friends") so oral communication is obviously included.

This is not a very difficult text to parse, and is really very clear and unambiguous.
Original post by kelefi
ill play it completely safe and just keep my mouth sealed tight :biggrin:

Very wise.
Reply 25
Original post by Snufkin
The OP didn't say other applicants, he said teachers/people at school. There's nothing wrong with talking about your interview in person with friends, just don't talk about it online. OP, you can, ignore h3110.

And what if those "teachers/people at school" pass on info to other applicants? Applicants the OP is in direct competition with...

As others have said - it's really not a good idea.
Original post by Good bloke
Again, simple reading comprehension: the word "including" indicates that there are other modes of communication that are not in the list. This is reinforced by "any breach" (note, not "any breach except chats with friends":wink: so oral communication is obviously included.

This is not a very difficult text to parse, and is really very clear and unambiguous.

It seems we're not likely to agree. I don't see much point debating the finer points of the wording because it isn't relevant to the OP. A conversation between friends is not public therefore the OP can talk about his interview with them.
Original post by Snufkin
A conversation between friends is not public therefore the OP can talk about his interview with them.

It isn't public, but it is covered as a breach of confidentiality.

A bigger question is whether a contract of confidentiality exists at all between the candidate and the college. But, even if it does not, the college has the ability to avenge itself on those who don't comply, in a pretty brutal way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Snufkin
How likely is it that an admissions tutor would find out about applicant X's friend posting interview questions online and tracing the source back to applicant X?

In the ridiculously unlikely event that this ever happened, applicant X's actions and their unfortunate repercussions may indeed provoke the admissions tutor not to offer them a place. But if applicant X has already been given a place, Cambridge can't revoke it because technically applicant X hasn't broken any rules.

The college can take whatever action it likes. They could for example refuse to award the degree or revoke the degree at any time. (However unlikely that it, it's still within their remit.)

And Applicant X would also be helping their competition (unintentionally or otherwise).

Don't forget that Admissions Tutors and other Cambridge academics do monitor and participate in these threads.

Eitherway the sensible solution is not to share the info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kelefi
Hey all,

I finished my Cambridge Interview and i was wondering; can i discuss the questions which came up with my classmates and teachers or am I not allowed to?

I vaguely recall something about not being allowed but cant remember.

Once the interview round is finished you are no longer covered by any confidentiality clause.
Before the interview round the risk is that you help those in competition for your space.
The reason colleges ask you not to is so that you do not give an unfair advantage to anybody. ("Allowed" is a different question to get caught or get sanctioned.)

TSR tends to feel stronger about this because it has such a wide audience, than schools who want to get the maximum number of pupils in-even if they give advantage to a fellow student over you.
Original post by Colmans
Once the interview round is finished you are no longer covered by any confidentiality clause.

No, not the interview round - the admissions round. The Trinity College form states:

I understand that the College expects me to retain confidentiality and not to share interview questions and unseen work with other applicants, or to discuss them publicly before the admissions round is complete at the end of August
Original post by Good bloke
No, not the interview round - the admissions round. The Trinity College form states:

I understand that the College expects me to retain confidentiality and not to share interview questions and unseen work with other applicants, or to discuss them publicly before the admissions round is complete at the end of August

Yes agreed.
Why would anyone disclose what questions they were asked at interview? If that information makes its way back to someone also going for interview, by whatever means, and they then perform better than you as a result that could be your place at Cambridge lost.
Reply 33
Original post by kelefi
Hey all,

I finished my Cambridge Interview and i was wondering; can i discuss the questions which came up with my classmates and teachers or am I not allowed to?

I vaguely recall something about not being allowed but cant remember.

I vaguely remember having to sign something saying I wouldn't discuss my interview until August 2015
It's difficult but the best thing to do is to not discuss questions in detail. We do want teachers to learn about the interview process (this is one of the reasons we prefer to send feedback to your UCAS referee) but the questions asked are confidential. It is in any case unlikely that any questions (or indeed similar one) will come up with a school's applicants in future and, contrary to what you may think, knowing the exact details of questions asked isn't all that helpful to a school in preparing candidates next year (indeed it may be counterproductive as they will over-prepare and focus on those questions and styles of questions when they are quite likely to be asked something different). Please do feel free to share your feelings on your interview with your teachers - how you found the pre-reading, how much you were asked about your personal statement etc., but please don't share full details of questions/exam papers.

All UK schools are linked with a Cambridge College, who will have a Schools Liaison Officer who can help with information and details about the interview process and preparing competitive applications. Whilst it may be tempting to think that there are lots of secrets about the interview process, and that extensive debriefs of candidates are important, this really isn't how we operate!
Reply 35
Original post by Snufkin

Thoughts on the above post? ^ @Snufkin
Original post by h3110
Thoughts on the above post? ^ @Snufkin

Since you asked, I feel that my original post has been vindicated since even the admission tutor can't say it's definitely not allowed.
Reply 37
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
... but the questions asked are confidential. ... but please don't share full details of questions/exam papers.

Original post by Snufkin
Since you asked, I feel that my original post has been vindicated since even the admission tutor can't say it's definitely not allowed.

?

The AT says they are confidential.
Absolutely not. It is deemed a crime by the TSR police.
Original post by jneill
?

The AT says they are confidential.

Peterhouse Admissions did not say applicants are not allowed to discuss their interview with their friends/teacher, he only recommends that they refrain from doing so/giving too much information away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending