The Student Room Group

Why are you NOT a feminist?

Scroll to see replies

Because I don't want to work I believe it's the mans job to grind and take care of his family financially.
Because I'm allergic to hair dyes.
Feminism is Haram

Anyway, the only feminists I've heard about are atheists
Original post by F.Nietzsche
I'm not a feminist - I'm an egalitarian. I don't like how feminism is one-sided but also how modern feminism has stopped the real conversations. Celebs can campaign on banning the word bossy but didn't campaign for women's rights in the middle east for example. I don't care what the definition of feminism is, as long as it has a gendered pronoun it is biased. I am for equality.

So what's your reason for not being a feminist? (:

The term 'egalitarian' is so vague it's almost meaningless. It could refer to equality of anything against: racism, disablism, ageism, homophobia etc. Whilst all of these movements are important, by not referring specifically to the desire for gender equality, you are failing to highlight the struggle of unequal treatment of the sexes.
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Just because two things are not the same doesn't mean they aren't equal. People have different skin tones, surely that doesn't make them any less equal.

But does 'equal' here mean "interchangeable"?...
Because identity politics is tedious and I like to actually enjoy life.
What a lot of people don't understand is that one can be for equal rights AND be a feminist, but you don't have to accept the label of feminist just because you're for equality, because it is a gender biased term (for good reason). A lot of people like to try to hog all the victim cards, saying "I'm for equality... and we can only achieve it by having all those over-privileged *gender 1*s fixing all of *gender 2*s problems that *gender 1* caused" then getting angry if the other gender mentions problems they have, and I've seen a lot of feminists outright demanding that anyone who's generally for equality must call themselves feminists... and that being a feminist means fixing all the world's worries by fixing problems women face and everything else will magically click into place/ women are the only ones with inequalities so they're the only ones worth paying attention to. It's a shame, but the pendulum never stops right at the bottom: People treat women like crap for years, then when we finally realize that's wrong, people think "Oh ok, so we need to treat them like Gods, right?" and suddenly women can cry sexism at the slightest thing while men are told to man up if they face sexism.

However, I'm hopeful that the day where the majority understand that both genders can have their problems acknowledged will come sooner rather than later. One actually can be a feminist (one that deals with women's issues) while still supporting male attempts for equality in areas where they're disadvantaged, and one can also be a 'meninist' or whatever the word would be while still supporting female attempts for equality in areas where they're disadvantaged, or you could be both if you have enough time on your hands. It's like how a fireman isn't also a policeman, but isn't going to demand the police stop doing their jobs because they consider fire to be a bigger problem. As far as I'm concerned, to be a feminist, you have to specifically do something towards women's rights rather than just think "yeah I like equality", but that's just down to labels, you can be for equality and not actively campaign etc.
are we not part of a race labelled mankind? sounds a bit like this one has a gender biased pronoun too but you don't hear people complaining over that
Equality doesn't mean justice... women and men are biologically different. It is wrong to fight for equality when it doesn't mean justice nor that women/men will be equally respected
Reply 30
I'm a woman, but honestly, I don't care that much about feminism, because in today's day and age were treated similarly enough to men for it not to affect or bother me.

So there you have it.

I don't care 😄
Feminism is about white middle class women, not representative at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Texas.
Exactly *standing ovation*

I'm not a feminist because in the workplace I think on average a male candidate will be better than a female candidate, but that's because society is still very much structured such that women dont need to be as qualified as men because men are still mostly expected to be the providers.

This problem is actually being made worse by feminism because of the positive discrimination you get today where a lot of companies are hiring women just for the sake of filling quotas and being seen to be diverse, even though these women are often not as qualified as their male counterparts.

Someone should be hired simply because they were the best candidate, not because they have a vagina.

And if women really want equality, then it has to be total equality (not the biased "equality" that modern feminism espouses), and they have to stop expecting men to provide for them, and accept relationships based on equal contribution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally couldn't agree more with this. Especially around the companies quota filling to achieve some sort of 50:50 ratio. if one sex are being positively discriminated for there has to be a trade off, so now men are being negatively discriminated in these situations I.e they were better than a female candidate but didn't get the job because they had a penis. that's not feminism, because it's not equality of the sexes.

Also think as OP said, a lot of modern feminism is wasting time on the wrong things and things that aren't really issues considering there are places in the world where gender equality is still so absent.

DOI: I'm female
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vixen47
I like being objectified by men and I wanna be a homemaker because I find that more fulfilling than anything. Feminism takes the fun out of being a woman. :unimpressed:

U legend!!
People who say they aren't feminists are either misogynists or think that because misogyny doesn't affect them it can't affect anyone.
Original post by Texas.

I'm not a feminist because in the workplace I think on average a male candidate will be better than a female candidate, but that's because society is still very much structured such that women dont need to be as qualified as men because men are still mostly expected to be the providers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wtf where do you get that idea? A workplace isn't allowed, due to the Equal Rights Act, to choose a man over women due to their gender, especially if a woman is more qualified. Why do women not need to be as qualified as men, can you explain your point?
Reply 36
Original post by bethwalker85
Wtf where do you get that idea? A workplace isn't allowed, due to the Equal Rights Act, to choose a man over women due to their gender, especially if a woman is more qualified. Why do women not need to be as qualified as men, can you explain your point?

I did explain my point.

Do you even Key Stage 2 comprehension?
Original post by Texas.
I did explain my point.

Do you even Key Stage 2 comprehension?

No you just said because they're expected to provide, can you elaborate?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by bethwalker85
No you just said because they're expect to provide, can you elaborate?

Men are expected to be breadwinners & providers, and a man's earnings frame a key part of his attractiveness to women. Because women still largely expect men to provide for and support them financially, they dont need to invest time in their education/career as much as men do, and thus by and large they are less qualified relative to their male counterparts. There's a lot of research out there that shows this (I'm at work right now, but I'll dig smth up later and post in here).

Then my further point was that, if women want equality it has to be total equality and they have to stop being dependent on men,and relationships should be based on equal contribution. But today, most women are still content to rely on men, because that's how society has been structured for centuries, so the only way to get real equality is to change the social conditioning that emphasizes women depending on men.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would class myself as a feminist, however like you I feel like the world implies and inclines one-sided-ness. I am for equality, however there are prominent female issues such as the women in middle eastern companies and wage gaps. But there are also prominent male issues, such as people dismissing males being sexually abused, for example.

Quick Reply

Latest