The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick PPE Offer Holders + Discussion!

Hey guys!

Received an unconditional offer (gap year) a while ago. I'm really excited by this program, and wondering about others' opinions of it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heh you must be one of the lucky few! I doubt there are too many offer holders for this course yet. Sent my app in october and still haven't heard from any schools! (most likely because I'm applying with a foreign qualification).

What were your grades and when did you get your offer?

Definitely going to join the discussion if I get an offer :3. Warwick PPE is probably gonna be my firm.
(edited 8 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Hey guys,

I'm holding a conditional offer too :smile:

Have you ever been to Warwick? As an european applicant I'm waiting for my other choices and then I'm going to visit all my offers
Reply 3
Original post by Ibac
Hey guys,

I'm holding a conditional offer too :smile:

Have you ever been to Warwick? As an european applicant I'm waiting for my other choices and then I'm going to visit all my offers

Hi! Received a conditional offer last Friday :smile: I've visited Warwick and really loved it - I'm also a European applicant but just did a tour of a couple of UK unis before applying. For being such a new university it's actually quite pretty - lots of green and modern "sleek" builidings. Everyone I met seemed really friendly and there's lots going on with the student union which is great!

Are you planning on going to an offer holder event?
Reply 4
Original post by jmd04
Hi! Received a conditional offer last Friday :smile: I've visited Warwick and really loved it - I'm also a European applicant but just did a tour of a couple of UK unis before applying. For being such a new university it's actually quite pretty - lots of green and modern "sleek" builidings. Everyone I met seemed really friendly and there's lots going on with the student union which is great!

Are you planning on going to an offer holder event?

That's great! Where else have you applied? Are you going to firm Warwick?

I'd like to, but I'm planning to go there after I have received all my offers. What about you?
Reply 5
Original post by Ibac
That's great! Where else have you applied? Are you going to firm Warwick?

I'd like to, but I'm planning to go there after I have received all my offers. What about you?

I've applied at Oxford (sadly, but not surprisingly rejected) Durham, KCL for PPE and at Edinburgh for Politics and Economics - have yet to hear back from the latter three. At this point I think I'm pretty likely to firm Warwick but that might also be because I've done ton of research on it now, I guess it'll depend on the other offers I (hopefully) get. I've also applied in the US and Canada so that's also something I'll need to consider...

I'll probably go to the offer holder event in February but it depends on whether I'll miss anything important at school if I do 😁

Where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jmd04
I've applied at Oxford (sadly, but not surprisingly rejected) Durham, KCL for PPE and at Edinburgh for Politics and Economics - have yet to hear back from the latter three. At this point I think I'm pretty likely to firm Warwick but that might also be because I've done ton of research on it now, I guess it'll depend on the other offers I (hopefully) get. I've also applied in the US and Canada so that's also something I'll need to consider...

I'll probably go to the offer holder event in February but it depends on whether I'll miss anything important at school if I do 😁

Where else have you applied? :smile:

Same as you, but instead of Durham and KCL UCL and St Andrews (eco&IR)

I think I'm going to apply also to some universities in France, Italy and Netherlands. American universities are too expensive (and I don't wanna study for the SAT :biggrin:)
Reply 7
UCL now has its own PPE course so goodbye Warwick
Reply 8
Original post by Yael
UCL now has its own PPE course so goodbye Warwick

I applied to it but it's really tough to get in. However it's a new course and it doesn't seem to have much flexibility (you cannot even do exchanges)
Reply 9
Original post by Ibac
I applied to it but it's really tough to get in. However it's a new course and it doesn't seem to have much flexibility (you cannot even do exchanges)

Yeah that's why I didn't apply... I feel like the course is too new and I visited UCL and didn't really like it (maybe that's just because I don't really want to live in London as a student)
Reply 10
Original post by Ibac
Same as you, but instead of Durham and KCL UCL and St Andrews (eco&IR)

I think I'm going to apply also to some universities in France, Italy and Netherlands. American universities are too expensive (and I don't wanna study for the SAT :biggrin:)

Do you think you'd choose UCL or St. Andrews over Warwick?

And yeah, American universities are super expensive and the SAT is terrible - in my opinion it's a bit of excessive and doesn't measure study skills or intelligence but whatever works for them I guess.

Also, are you doing the IB by any chance?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jmd04
Yeah that's why I didn't apply... I feel like the course is too new and I visited UCL and didn't really like it (maybe that's just because I don't really want to live in London as a student)

I'd love to live in London but at the same time studying would be rather difficult ahahah
Reply 12
Original post by jmd04

And yeah, American universities are super expensive and the SAT is terrible - in my opinion it's a bit of excessive and doesn't measure study skills or intelligence but whatever works for them I guess.

Honestly I don't know because I haven't visited them yet... however Ucl and Warwick economics department are really good and I would like to go into banking

What about you? Did you visit St Andrews and Edinburgh?

Also getting into top american universities is really tough, whereas it's different with the british ones.

No, I'm not. I'm doing the italian diploma, you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Ibac
Honestly I don't know because I haven't visited them yet... however Ucl and Warwick economics department are really good and I would like to go into banking

What about you? Did you visit St Andrews and Edinburgh?

Also getting into top american universities is really tough, whereas it's different with the british ones.

No, I'm not. I'm doing the italian diploma, you?

Same here - they're definitely great for getting into the finance sector.

I haven't been able to visit any of the unis in Scotland but I have a friend studying at Edinburgh (philosophy and politics) and she absolutely loves it. My sister has also been and says it's really beautiful and there's lots of stuff to do - so lots of positive feedback. Apparently St. Andrews is really beautiful but it's literally in the middle of nowhere and there isn't thaaaat much to do... Like you, I'd probably have to go visit Edinburgh if I receive an offer. I have been to KCL and Durham though - and quite liked both (especially Durham!)

Ahh okay, I'm going the IB, I was wondering whether your username was hinting at you doing it too... Guess not :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by jmd04
Same here - they're definitely great for getting into the finance sector.

I haven't been able to visit any of the unis in Scotland but I have a friend studying at Edinburgh (philosophy and politics) and she absolutely loves it. My sister has also been and says it's really beautiful and there's lots of stuff to do - so lots of positive feedback. Apparently St. Andrews is really beautiful but it's literally in the middle of nowhere and there isn't thaaaat much to do... Like you, I'd probably have to go visit Edinburgh if I receive an offer. I have been to KCL and Durham though - and quite liked both (especially Durham!)

Ahh okay, I'm going the IB, I was wondering whether your username was hinting at you doing it too... Guess not :tongue:

I regret applying to Oxford instead of another university like Durham. I got rejected without an interview and I spent a lot of time (and money) for it!

Another thing about Scottish unis is that I don't pay tuition fees as I'm european - and this is great if maybe you wanna do a master in the US!
Reply 15
Original post by Ibac
I regret applying to Oxford instead of another university like Durham. I got rejected without an interview and I spent a lot of time (and money) for it!

Another thing about Scottish unis is that I don't pay tuition fees as I'm european - and this is great if maybe you wanna do a master in the US!

I regret applying at Oxford instead of UCL, so I know exactly how you feel. Yeah same here, I'm from Germany so tuition would be free for me too in Scotland :smile: but I don't think I'll base my decision on that, academics/environment still come first and a masters in the UK is great too! Also, that factor makes Scottish universities super competitive with soo many applicants which is kind of a downside I guess (fingers crossed!).

So many decisions to make but I guess that's a privilege too :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by jmd04
I regret applying at Oxford instead of UCL, so I know exactly how you feel. Yeah same here, I'm from Germany so tuition would be free for me too in Scotland :smile: but I don't think I'll base my decision on that, academics/environment still come first and a masters in the UK is great too! Also, that factor makes Scottish universities super competitive with soo many applicants which is kind of a downside I guess (fingers crossed!).

So many decisions to make but I guess that's a privilege too :tongue:

Fingers crossed!

it definetely is :smile:
Original post by jmd04

dude hi5! Studying IB and rejected by Oxford! i got offers from manchester warwick and durham, still waiting for UCL but probably going to Durham :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by rowanmary
dude hi5! Studying IB and rejected by Oxford! i got offers from manchester warwick and durham, still waiting for UCL but probably going to Durham :smile:

Hi!

Yay to the IB and being rejected by Oxford :tongue:

Congrats on all the offers! I thought Durham only started processing applications in January (at least that's what they wrote in their e-mail) but I guess not- well done you!

Would you mind telling me why you would choose Durham over Warwick? And are you from the UK or elsewhere?
Original post by jmd04
Hi!

Yay to the IB and being rejected by Oxford :tongue:

Congrats on all the offers! I thought Durham only started processing applications in January (at least that's what they wrote in their e-mail) but I guess not- well done you!

Would you mind telling me why you would choose Durham over Warwick? And are you from the UK or elsewhere?

the two universities are equally good in terms of the course (I have even heard people say Durham is better) so it was basically the characteristics and culture that attracted me. For instance Durham is similar with Oxford in so many ways but less scary and competitive: their college system, tutorial system (in which Durham has this small-group teaching and I'm a fan of that), the history and Durham culture in general. Obviously I'm keeping both offers but I would have a hard time choosing if I got UCL's offer (and only if :wink: )

I'm from Hong Kong international school, you?

Quick Reply

Latest