The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick PPE Offer Holders + Discussion!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rowanmary
the two universities are equally good in terms of the course (I have even heard people say Durham is better) so it was basically the characteristics and culture that attracted me. For instance Durham is similar with Oxford in so many ways but less scary and competitive: their college system, tutorial system (in which Durham has this small-group teaching and I'm a fan of that), the history and Durham culture in general. Obviously I'm keeping both offers but I would have a hard time choosing if I got UCL's offer (and only if :wink: )

I'm from Hong Kong international school, you?

I have heard people say Warwick is better, but I suppose it depends on whether you are more interested in Economics (in which case Warwick is great) or more equally in all three disciplines (in which case Durham is great). Yes, I visited Durham and I really liked the feel (and tutorials do seem great) - it's just so far from London! Well, unlike you, I may not even have the chance to make that choice, but still interesting to hear your point of view :smile: Did you visit Warwick and Durham (and which college did you apply at for Durham)?

I'm from Germany, not quite as exotic as your location I'm afraid :tongue:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hey everyone, I'm currently in my 2nd year doing PPE at Warwick. :smile: Just saw this thread, so if you have any questions about the programme feel free to ask!
Original post by jmd04
I have heard people say Warwick is better, but I suppose it depends on whether you are more interested in Economics (in which case Warwick is great) or more equally in all three disciplines (in which case Durham is great). Yes, I visited Durham and I really liked the feel (and tutorials do seem great) - it's just so far from London! Well, unlike you, I may not even have the chance to make that choice, but still interesting to hear your point of view :smile: Did you visit Warwick and Durham (and which college did you apply at for Durham)?

I'm from Germany, not quite as exotic as your location I'm afraid :tongue:

I applied for St. Mary's and I told my uni counsellor that's a good pun since my name is Mary :biggrin: No I have not visited any campus, UK is too far away from Hong Kong and I didn't have the time. It would be perfect if Durham was closer to London but... sigh. I'm sure you will get your offers in a short time, good luck!
Reply 23
Original post by rowanmary
I applied for St. Mary's and I told my uni counsellor that's a good pun since my name is Mary :biggrin: No I have not visited any campus, UK is too far away from Hong Kong and I didn't have the time. It would be perfect if Durham was closer to London but... sigh. I'm sure you will get your offers in a short time, good luck!

Hahaha I visited St. Marys and it's really nice, I almost applied there too - so good choice (rooms are decent, nice architecture, nice dining hall, nice people from what I could tell, bar is not so nice though) Yeah I guess they are a little far away from HK. Durham as a town is really nice though; super small but it looks almost artificial because it's so quaint, there's good food, the cathedral is beautiful :smile:

Anyways, thanks for the good luck :tongue: Good luck with UCL!
Reply 24
Original post by Buttercup26
Hey everyone, I'm currently in my 2nd year doing PPE at Warwick. :smile: Just saw this thread, so if you have any questions about the programme feel free to ask!

Hi! I'm currently holding an offer for PPE at Warwick :smile: how math heavy would you say the economics part of the course is / is it doable, as Warwick has such a great reputation for maths and economics I imagine it's quite difficult. Also, I know it probably says it somewhere on the website, but I've been unable to find it - how many exams are there a year and when do they take place (i.e. Before or after breaks?) Lastly, how would you rate each of the three disciplines in terms of teaching quality?

thank you!! :smile:
Original post by jmd04
Hahaha I visited St. Marys and it's really nice, I almost applied there too - so good choice (rooms are decent, nice architecture, nice dining hall, nice people from what I could tell, bar is not so nice though) Yeah I guess they are a little far away from HK. Durham as a town is really nice though; super small but it looks almost artificial because it's so quaint, there's good food, the cathedral is beautiful :smile:

Anyways, thanks for the good luck :tongue: Good luck with UCL!

Good food? Yas! That's my first priority haha. Which college did you apply for?

AND since I feel bad for so much discussion on Durham - Warwick is a great school!
Reply 26

Hey! Thank you for your help
I'm holding an offer for PPE at Warwick.

I was wondering if you could tell me something about exchanges because I have been told it is really competitive to get in :smile:

In addition to this, do you think it is so difficult to get a first? I'm international and I'm a bit worried about studying in english etc

Thank you again :biggrin:

Thank you for your help! I am holding a Warwick offer and very excited about it. Can you please explain how the bridge model project works and how it requires ppe? Also any useful preparations we could do beforehand? And any advices in general would be awesome, thanks :smile:
Reply 28
A 3rd Year PPE Student at Warwick answering questions I had.
FYI - The Italics is me.

Hey,

I'm currently on my gap year with an offer for PPE from Warwick. I really like the look of the course, and am seriously considering it. I was hoping you could answer some questions about the program and uni. I'm an international student, for context.

1. I'm really interested in going into the Economics BSc and Politics stream of PPE. Do i need specific math qualifications before I do this?

2. What is your opinion on the Economics BSc and Politics stream of PPE - i've heard that the philosophy department is not great, and politics is quite good, but economics is amazing. I'm most interested in Economics and intend to take most option courses with that department. (However, I am interested in PPE because I can understand the philosophical and political links and therefore really like how the 3 disciplines are integrated.)

3. How would you compare Warwick's PPE with UCL's PPE program in terms of employment, student life and postgraduate opportunities?

4. How is the course, actually? Are you enjoying it? I plan to work really hard in uni, and I really hope there is a good environment at Warwick for that specific course.

5. How's Warwick University in terms of social life? Which hall would you recommend if i want to work hard (quiet space) and also have a good social life?

6. I'd like to go into banking or something in the field of finance. I understand that Warwick is a "target" uni, but is it actually recognized in a sector that is declining?

Hey!

To answer your questions in order:

1) I am currently partaking in the pathway you mentioned (BSc PPE, with Economics major, Politics minor), and there is no mathematics qualification needed to embark upon this pathway. You don't actually start your pathway until second year anyway, and for first year, as long as you hold an offer, you're fine. There are two separate maths courses on offer for PPE, an easy and a difficult option, aimed at those who have either done a Maths A-Level (or equivalent) or not done a Maths A-Level (or equivalent)

2) As reputation goes, I guess you are not mistaken, but I can 100% say, all three departments are excellent. If Economics is your passion, you will thrive in the course. Before I joined the PPE course, I also had the idea that I would enjoy Economics and Politics and hate Philosophy, but actually, Philosophy is an incredibly interesting subject, taught by leading academics! So I would by no means say the Philosophy department "is not that great". Politics is also a subject that 'ranks highly', and is also an interesting subject, but I would personally say, a little too theoretical in first year. From first year onwards, the options within Politics are great - very thought provoking!

3) UCL's PPE course is relatively new, so as PPE as a degree goes, Warwick gains more recognition than UCL. I would probably also go as far as to say, the students at Warwick are more down-to-earth and humble than UCL, but this is of course dependent on who you potentially meet at either university. Employment is 100% not an issue. Both Universities are target universities for firms, and if they see either on your CV, they will be impressed. Having met multiple recruiters and firms on campus, there is genuine enthusiasm from large corporations to recruit from Warwick because of the practical/theoretical blend that students tend to get more of than at other universities. In addition, postgraduate options are not held back in the slightest. I have liaised with Oxford post graduate admissions staff personally, and they take students regularly from Warwick. In the main, the university of your undergraduate has less bearing on your postgraduate studies than people tend to think.

4) The course, as you'd probably expect me saying, is amazing! It is very thought provoking and if you are intellectually curious, you will maximise your passion within the course material. Within first year, you learn about a variety of aspects of micro and macro economics (e.g. Consumer Choice Theory, Revenue/Cost structures, EAPC, Neo-classical assumptions etc.), a wide range of political topics (e.g. "what is politics?", ideologies, depoliticisation, globalisation etc.) and in Philosophy, you learn about various scholars (Descartes, Hobbes, Mill etc.). The students are intelligent, as is everyone at the University! PPE cohort are probably known for their intellectually-stimulating conversations as we can offer viewpoints from three different disciplines. And the working environments at Warwick make you feel as if you are at University to work, which I personally feel is great, because when there is a lot of work to do, the general aura will motivate you to work. I must warn you, PPE, being three disciplines, has more credits than most courses at the University, and there is a lot of work involved compared to other subjects, but if you engage well with the content, and learn how to efficiently study, you will very much enjoy the course!

5) Social life, in general, is as good as you make it. There are some halls that are known to be unsociable, and others where there is a party every day. The nightlife is good as you have the option of Leamington Spa or Coventry, but do not expect the variety of clubs you get if you were in a city such as Manchester. As you asked about UCL earlier, just as a side note, the University experience in London is VERY expensive, and even if you can afford to go out, the likelihood is that others can't as often. So although there are many clubs to go within the city of London, the time that you'll spend in them is less than what people usually think.

In terms of the ideal halls for you, it seems Arthur Vick (where I stayed) or Jack Martin are the best options for you, as people are sociable and friendly and usually want to have a good time, but it can also be quiet because people are conscientious of their work. People seem to have the best balance in either Arthur Vick or Jack Martin. Although on the pricier side, Bluebell is also good for this, as people tend to concentrate on "working hard and playing hard". I would not recommend Rootes as people are usually very loud and are constantly out in clubs. But if you state in your accommodation application that you want a quiet working space, then you can also be allocated to the quiet floors of Rootes, where I suppose you can have the best of both worlds. Just remember, Arthur Vick, Jack Martin and Bluebell are ensuite rooms, making them quite attractive options indeed.

6) What do you mean by "recognized in a sector that is declining"? As in, is Warwick declining in the views of recruiter? In which case, 100% no! But in the main, I assume you're wondering whether PPE at Warwick can get you a finance job potentially, and I would 100% tell you, that you have nothing to worry about. Banks no longer discriminate against undergraduate courses, but even if they did, an Economics major in a course as prestigious as PPE would stand you in good stead with many employers!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask
Hey guys!
I recieved a conditional offer about 1 month and half ago, but I have decided (well, at least I think I have) that I will firm it, as the only condition is to send a copy of my qualifications to the Uni and Warwick is absolutely awesome for that kind of degree (3rd best department of Economics and 3rd for Politcs according to The Times and the Sunday Times league tables).
We are going to have a great time in the midst of "nowhere"!
Original post by dhaonr
A 3rd Year PPE Student at Warwick answering questions I had.
FYI - The Italics is me.

Hey,

I'm currently on my gap year with an offer for PPE from Warwick. I really like the look of the course, and am seriously considering it. I was hoping you could answer some questions about the program and uni. I'm an international student, for context.

1. I'm really interested in going into the Economics BSc and Politics stream of PPE. Do i need specific math qualifications before I do this?

2. What is your opinion on the Economics BSc and Politics stream of PPE - i've heard that the philosophy department is not great, and politics is quite good, but economics is amazing. I'm most interested in Economics and intend to take most option courses with that department. (However, I am interested in PPE because I can understand the philosophical and political links and therefore really like how the 3 disciplines are integrated.)

3. How would you compare Warwick's PPE with UCL's PPE program in terms of employment, student life and postgraduate opportunities?

4. How is the course, actually? Are you enjoying it? I plan to work really hard in uni, and I really hope there is a good environment at Warwick for that specific course.

5. How's Warwick University in terms of social life? Which hall would you recommend if i want to work hard (quiet space) and also have a good social life?

6. I'd like to go into banking or something in the field of finance. I understand that Warwick is a "target" uni, but is it actually recognized in a sector that is declining?

Hey!

To answer your questions in order:

1) I am currently partaking in the pathway you mentioned (BSc PPE, with Economics major, Politics minor), and there is no mathematics qualification needed to embark upon this pathway. You don't actually start your pathway until second year anyway, and for first year, as long as you hold an offer, you're fine. There are two separate maths courses on offer for PPE, an easy and a difficult option, aimed at those who have either done a Maths A-Level (or equivalent) or not done a Maths A-Level (or equivalent)

2) As reputation goes, I guess you are not mistaken, but I can 100% say, all three departments are excellent. If Economics is your passion, you will thrive in the course. Before I joined the PPE course, I also had the idea that I would enjoy Economics and Politics and hate Philosophy, but actually, Philosophy is an incredibly interesting subject, taught by leading academics! So I would by no means say the Philosophy department "is not that great". Politics is also a subject that 'ranks highly', and is also an interesting subject, but I would personally say, a little too theoretical in first year. From first year onwards, the options within Politics are great - very thought provoking!

3) UCL's PPE course is relatively new, so as PPE as a degree goes, Warwick gains more recognition than UCL. I would probably also go as far as to say, the students at Warwick are more down-to-earth and humble than UCL, but this is of course dependent on who you potentially meet at either university. Employment is 100% not an issue. Both Universities are target universities for firms, and if they see either on your CV, they will be impressed. Having met multiple recruiters and firms on campus, there is genuine enthusiasm from large corporations to recruit from Warwick because of the practical/theoretical blend that students tend to get more of than at other universities. In addition, postgraduate options are not held back in the slightest. I have liaised with Oxford post graduate admissions staff personally, and they take students regularly from Warwick. In the main, the university of your undergraduate has less bearing on your postgraduate studies than people tend to think.

4) The course, as you'd probably expect me saying, is amazing! It is very thought provoking and if you are intellectually curious, you will maximise your passion within the course material. Within first year, you learn about a variety of aspects of micro and macro economics (e.g. Consumer Choice Theory, Revenue/Cost structures, EAPC, Neo-classical assumptions etc.), a wide range of political topics (e.g. "what is politics?", ideologies, depoliticisation, globalisation etc.) and in Philosophy, you learn about various scholars (Descartes, Hobbes, Mill etc.). The students are intelligent, as is everyone at the University! PPE cohort are probably known for their intellectually-stimulating conversations as we can offer viewpoints from three different disciplines. And the working environments at Warwick make you feel as if you are at University to work, which I personally feel is great, because when there is a lot of work to do, the general aura will motivate you to work. I must warn you, PPE, being three disciplines, has more credits than most courses at the University, and there is a lot of work involved compared to other subjects, but if you engage well with the content, and learn how to efficiently study, you will very much enjoy the course!

5) Social life, in general, is as good as you make it. There are some halls that are known to be unsociable, and others where there is a party every day. The nightlife is good as you have the option of Leamington Spa or Coventry, but do not expect the variety of clubs you get if you were in a city such as Manchester. As you asked about UCL earlier, just as a side note, the University experience in London is VERY expensive, and even if you can afford to go out, the likelihood is that others can't as often. So although there are many clubs to go within the city of London, the time that you'll spend in them is less than what people usually think.

In terms of the ideal halls for you, it seems Arthur Vick (where I stayed) or Jack Martin are the best options for you, as people are sociable and friendly and usually want to have a good time, but it can also be quiet because people are conscientious of their work. People seem to have the best balance in either Arthur Vick or Jack Martin. Although on the pricier side, Bluebell is also good for this, as people tend to concentrate on "working hard and playing hard". I would not recommend Rootes as people are usually very loud and are constantly out in clubs. But if you state in your accommodation application that you want a quiet working space, then you can also be allocated to the quiet floors of Rootes, where I suppose you can have the best of both worlds. Just remember, Arthur Vick, Jack Martin and Bluebell are ensuite rooms, making them quite attractive options indeed.

6) What do you mean by "recognized in a sector that is declining"? As in, is Warwick declining in the views of recruiter? In which case, 100% no! But in the main, I assume you're wondering whether PPE at Warwick can get you a finance job potentially, and I would 100% tell you, that you have nothing to worry about. Banks no longer discriminate against undergraduate courses, but even if they did, an Economics major in a course as prestigious as PPE would stand you in good stead with many employers!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask

*Second year student; hehe. But yes, I answered such questions, and am happy to answer any other questions people may have. Alternative, you can direct message me. All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest