The Student Room Group

I Would Appreciate Some Advice on Mobile Phones

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad

Thank you! Added to list of considerations (although traditionally I hate Motorollas).

You're welcome:smile:. Another great thing about the moto G is the fact that is runs stock android. This means you will definitely get the new android updates very quickly compared to other phones like Samsung & LG etc.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
If you have the time, could you explain what bloated software means?

In short it means they have loads of unneeded or wanted apps that slow down the phone because its using cpu power, so because of the extra usage it wears down the battery faster too.

The common consumer would either think its acceptable or think the phone is slow and buy a newer one assuming the phone itself is the problem.

Think of it like Windows, imagine installing it with nothing bar internet explorer and so it uses minimal space so you can install what you want.

Samsung like many companies puts loads of junk software on such as their own messaging apps and they cant be manually removed so slow down the phone hugely.

A custom firmware which is perfectly legal just installs nothing apart from play store and internet browser and I think gps so uses far less space on the built in memory card and makes the phone run far faster.

Its all about are you bothered about a phone taking like 5 seconds to load a app or 2 seconds, are you bothered if a phone lasts 2 days instead of 3 days with no usage etc.

The other thing is the official firmware is locked down so you cant install free (not illegal) software such as home made ones

Other things are always disable mobile data unless you need it, my phone lasts just under or over a week with data and 3G turned off if I make no calls, with both turned on lasts about 2 days even with no calls.

If you want purely the best but non mainstream phone get the oneplusone seriously spec wise its better than almost everything out there but as its not a big name its ignored camera is fantastic, high storage, good firmware etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Imo, you can't really go wrong with phones these days because in terms of speed, most phones have hit the max. My phone which is an S6 still crashes quite often when running some apps like hearthstone. At this point its probably something wrong with hearthstone but no matter which phone you get you probably will have the same experience.

Cameras are roughly the same although I do believe the S6 has a better camera than most. I like the pictures I take with it for sure.

For the average person, you don't really need the SD card slot, I got a 64gig phone and i basically don't have any problems with storage. You don't really need that extra little bit of speed from a clean version of android, in general, any phone even if its a year or two old should satisfy you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending