The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Modern Language (foundation entry) and Uni questions

Hi I applied for Modern Language the foundation entry and I got an offer. I just want to know what the course is like? Is the department good?

The university itself seems okay when I went to the opening day, but is the area safe?
I lived very far away so I want to know about the accommodation and I am on a low budget, what are the price ranges? Is the area's living expense high?

Thank you
I don't do languages so I can't comment on your course. Sorry.

The area around the university and Cottingham (where some of the halls of residence are) are fairly safe so you don't need to worry. There are obviously some more run down areas of Hull but as a student you shouldn't have any reason to go there.

For first year, I'd recommend going into Halls. The Lawns in Cottingham is where most students go, there is about £100 a week but this includes all your evening meals and obviously bills/internet so is actually quite good value for money. That works out at about £3500 a year. They are also currently building some new accommodation on campus which will be ready for people starting next year, this is going to be really luxurious, all en suite, double beds ect. so that will be more expensive.

In terms of student housing for your later years, I'd say with bills they are usually around £80 per week and without bills £65/£70 per week. These obviously don't include meals like the Halls do and usually have longer contracts so actually come out more expensive than the Lawns. However this is still much cheaper than at most other Universities as Hull has really low living costs, both in food and house prices.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by Midnight Star
I don't do languages so I can't comment on your course. Sorry.

The area around the university and Cottingham (where some of the halls of residence are) are fairly safe so you don't need to worry. There are obviously some more run down areas of Hull but as a student you shouldn't have any reason to go there.

For first year, I'd recommend going into Halls. The Lawns in Cottingham is where most students go, there is about £100 a week but this includes all your evening meals and obviously bills/internet so is actually quite good value for money. That works out at about £3500 a year. They are also currently building some new accommodation on campus which will be ready for people starting next year, this is going to be really luxurious, all en suite, double beds ect. so that will be more expensive.

In terms of student housing for your later years, I'd say with bills they are usually around £80 per week and without bills £65/£70 per week. These obviously don't include meals like the Halls do and usually have longer contracts so actually come out more expensive than the Lawns. However this is still much cheaper than at most other Universities as Hull has really low living costs, both in food and house prices.

Thank you so much, it sounds really attractive, I might pick Hull as my first choice.

Also can you advise me on the entry requirements, on the offer it says 200UCAS point, is that just A2 or including As grades as well?
Reply 3
Original post by Language student
Hi I applied for Modern Language the foundation entry and I got an offer. I just want to know what the course is like? Is the department good?

The university itself seems okay when I went to the opening day, but is the area safe?
I lived very far away so I want to know about the accommodation and I am on a low budget, what are the price ranges? Is the area's living expense high?

Thank you

Hi.

I can't answer all your questions, but I can give you some insight into the department, since my daughter applied for Modern Languages with Translation Studies at Hull and chose it as her insurance choice last year. We visited the department twice, once on an open day and again on an applicant day.

We both liked the department's facilities and the staff were not only friendly and welcoming, but also seemed very professional (and I say that as a professional linguist myself).

Accommodation-wise, if she had gone to Hull, my daughter would have applied for halls as her first choice, because of the convenience and cost-effectiveness of having dinner included in the price. Additionally, the price for off-campus halls includes a bus pass that gives you unlimited travel between the halls, the university and the town centre.

However, the student houses are also a good option because of the convenience of being within walking distance of campus and, since they are not catered, the greater flexibility in terms of what and when you might want to eat. This could be of importance if you have particular dietary requirements that the halls might not be able to cater for or activities that might not work with a fairly restricted meal time.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest