The Student Room Group

If I was prime minister....

What would you do?

My list:
Avoid increasing NHS funding and put restrictions on what treatments can be offered
Make visas more difficult to get so only the highly skilled workers are eligible for them
Stay in the EU so the relationships with other EU countries is kept good
Deport those that have been out of work for over 5 years(this is per household so one permanent resident over 18 working full time is minimal)
If one person has no evidence of them looking for a job, they will gain no financial support from the government
Shut the EuroTunnel and ferry service indefinitely
Increase funding in Police, fireman and army services
Ban the Burka
Ban all Middle East migration, anyone without written permission found to go to warzones will not be allowed into the country
Adopt Australia's point system for British citizenship
Make divorce settlements become "you get what you paid for" so the owner of the house will get the house

This might mean rising tax rates for a bit however they would go down, the major danger I see in rising tax levels is deflation and increase in poverty
(edited 8 years ago)
"Deport those that have been out of work for over 5 years"

^moronic.
Reply 2
Original post by Raymat
"Deport those that have been out of work for over 5 years"

^moronic.

I'm not prepared to pay for those that just live on benefits and offer nothing to the country, the government spending is high enough as it is already, as I said if there is evidence that they have been applying for jobs then they can stay here otherwise they can piss off
Original post by Will98765
I'm not prepared to pay for those that just live on benefits and offer nothing to the country, the government spending is high enough as it is already, as I said if there is evidence that they have been applying for jobs then they can stay here otherwise they can piss off

Flawed policy, where will you deport them to?
Reply 4
Original post by Raymat
Flawed policy, where will you deport them to?

It will be impossible for uk citizens, I was directing it more to migrants, in which it would be where they came from.
Make black tie compulsory at Covent Garden

Scrap the position of Justice secretary and re-locate the Lord Chancellor to the Woolsack in the House of Lords
Original post by Will98765

Avoid increasing NHS funding and put restrictions on what treatments can be offered

That's right, so people who can't afford health care should suffer and not be able to get treatment due to limits on treatment available and low funding

Deport those that have been out of work for over 5 years(this is per household so one permanent resident over 18 working full time is minimal)

Hmm and let other countries foot the bill of British people who don't work? (a) as if those countries would let those people in indefinitely without any job or means to look after themselves and (b) we, as a nation, can't just palm off our problems onto other countries; we need to deal with the cause of these problems

Shut the EuroTunnel and ferry service indefinitely

Why?
Reply 7
Original post by Sazzy890
That's right, so people who can't afford health care should suffer and not be able to get treatment due to limits on treatment available and low funding

Hmm and let other countries foot the bill of British people who don't work? (a) as if those countries would let those people in indefinitely without any job or means to look after themselves and (b) we, as a nation, can't just palm off our problems onto other countries; we need to deal with the cause of these problems

Why?

The NHS is mismanaging their funding, we should stop supplying plastic surgeries, fat removal operations etc. Emergency treatment and other treatments for diseases such cancer will be free, if the NHS is managing their funds properly then funding will increase

We can't deport British people without any agreement with other countries. I don't give a toss about what countries do about this issue, it's time our government grew some balls. Other countries are palming their problems to us with mass immigration, we're an island, space is limited.

To control illegal immigration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending