The Student Room Group

The School For Scandal help!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
thanks very much:biggrin: well yeah its quite squished thats true but it was just to show my ideas etc nt to actually outline them in detail. but however i need help for techniques sheridan uses coz thats the point im struggling with a bit. and structur : is there anything particular i have to focus on?? help would be realy appreciated!:confused:
Reply 21
I have to be honest, I'm not very confident about this text.
However some techniques of Sheridans', correct me if i'm wrong please.

- A major division of drama is the five act structure to the play existing of the Exposition, Complication, Climax, Falling Action & Catastrophe

-Use of stereotypical characters and what is referred to as 'comedy of manners' which is where the names reflect the character's attributes.
E.g. mr Premium related to money, Mrs Sneerwell who 'sneers well', Surface brothers who are to an extent superficial and interested in appearance. Joseph can be seen as trying to hold strong on his 'sentiments' in order to appear moral and hide the truth of his character - 'you are going to be moral, and forget that you are among friends'

You could also mention the definate seperation between good characters, evil characters and vulnderable young women.

-Satire. Sheridan satirises a society that is so shallow that gossip and slander become forms of entertainment.
Reply 22
Does anyone know:

what are dramatic effects?
Reply 23
Themes, characters, costumes etc
Reply 24
THis has helped me loads.
However has n e one got n e ideas on the questions that ae more likly to come up on tomorows exam?

I know that generations cam up in January so thats less likely to come up.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Also, any essay plans that could be used for most type of questions.
<3
Thanks.
Reply 25
Sarah_x
THis has helped me loads.
However has n e one got n e ideas on the questions that ae more likly to come up on tomorows exam?

I know that generations cam up in January so thats less likely to come up.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Also, any essay plans that could be used for most type of questions.
<3
Thanks.

Did generations come up this January??!! Because it came up in my paper as well, June 2006...:confused:

For essay plans, look at this thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=333792. Lots of different ideas for planning essays.
Reply 26
Oo interesting.
Erm its just what my teacher had said.
And thankyou.
Reply 27
Sarah do you know what Act and scene came up in the January paper because that would be immensely useful to know?!
Reply 28
For those interested in knowing what was on the January 07 paper:

3 Explore the ways Sheridan presents the hypocrisy of eighteenth century society in The School for Scandal.

OR

4 Remind yourself of Act IV Scene iii, which begins “No letter from Lady Teazle?” and ends “The man who shuts out conviction by refusing to–”.

What is the importance of this scene in the context of the whole play?
In your answer, you should consider:
! the presentation of the main characters
! the dramatic effects Sheridan creates
! Sheridan’s references to eighteenth century manners and codes of behaviour.
Reply 29
rosie86uk
For those interested in knowing what was on the January 07 paper:

3 Explore the ways Sheridan presents the hypocrisy of eighteenth century society in The School for Scandal.

OR

4 Remind yourself of Act IV Scene iii, which begins “No letter from Lady Teazle?” and ends “The man who shuts out conviction by refusing to–”.

What is the importance of this scene in the context of the whole play?
In your answer, you should consider:
! the presentation of the main characters
! the dramatic effects Sheridan creates
! Sheridan’s references to eighteenth century manners and codes of behaviour.

Bah, I wish I'd got that question (no 3)...that's a fab one!
Reply 30
Hello guys. I need help on The School for Scandal. I need to find some examples of pun and double entendre in the play. Could you please help me? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest