The Student Room Group

University students: Do you have a disability and does it affect your studies?

This poll is closed

What are your experiences with disability in university?

I have a disability and my university/other students were supportive 63%
I have a disability and my university/other students were not supportive 13%
I don't have a disability and I think enough is being done to support disabled students 25%
I don't have a disability and I don't think enough is being done to support disabled students0%
Total votes: 8
I am struck by the number of university students (both here and irl) with a disability, and the variations in how this has been handled, i.e. in some cases people feel that universities have been accommodating and their fellow students supportive, whereas in others they were met with perplexity or even suspicion.

I'm curious to gauge people's experiences and attitudes, so tell us your story and answer the poll! :smile:
Reply 1
Whilst my disability allowance adviser was lovely, as was the learning support lady I had, my main tutor was not, she went out of her way to make it clear I was just "exaggerating my conditions" have had to recently drop out of uni for a year due to health issues :frown:
im not sure if i have a dsiability but I do suffer from social anxiety disorder in groups (large crowds and 1 on 1 im ok), i have had fibromyalgia since I was 4 years old (now 24), I suffer from psoriasis which was severely exacerbated during my last year at uni due to an adverse drug reaction which caused me to receive 10 weeks UV therapy, I had an eardrum transplant during my 1st year at uni (which has adversely affected my hearing I think) and I had a torn medial meniscus and ACL during my last year at uni. despite all this, and some rather unfortunate circumstances during my life, I was able to get a 2:1 masters degree at the age of 21 (yes I attended graduation when I was twenty-one years old) but was, and stilI am annoyed thatnobody supported me or other people in similar / worse situations to me and more needs to be done to support people who are disabled or with health issues / financial / other issues
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest