The Student Room Group

Spanish courses with low entry requirements?

I'm looking at universities particularly in Leeds and want to study Spanish. I have my eye on Spanish, Portugese and Latin american Studies and the entry requirements are ABB. Honestly i just really don't think that I'm going to get that, does anyone know any courses/unis in that area with really low entry requirements? atleast BCC???

I'm also studying 2 A levels (Spanish and Art) a BTEC Levels 3 Subsidiary Diploma (ICT) and doing EPQ.

I would need to be looking at universities that are local to me, in the Leeds area as due to financial reasons moving away wouldn't really be an option for me
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you have Spanish at A level?

You could go on UCAS, search for the course and go through the requirements of the unis. It'll take a while though. Maybe someone else has another idea.

Canterbury Christ Church does spanish and ask for 280 UCAS points, which is around BBC I think?
Reply 2
Original post by evanescxe
I'm looking at universities particularly in Leeds and want to study Spanish. I have my eye on Spanish, Portugese and Latin american Studies and the entry requirements are ABB. Honestly i just really don't think that I'm going to get that, does anyone know any courses/unis in that area with really low entry requirements? atleast BCC???

I'm also studying 2 A levels (Spanish and Art) a BTEC Levels 3 Subsidiary Diploma (ICT) and doing EPQ.

Hi,

I'm not sure if by "area" you mean geographical area or subject field?

If you're stuck on that particular geographical area, you could take a look at Hull. They have lower entry requirements.

This was my daughter's insurance choice last year for French and Spanish with Translation Studies. They don't offer an identical course to the one you're looking at at Leeds (for example, Portuguese is only offered up to intermediate level and you may not be able to incorporate it into your course), but they do have a lot of options.

We visited the university twice, once for an open day and then subsequently for an applicant day. We both liked the department, its facilities and the staff.

If you were willing to move farther afield, you could look at Essex. This was my daughter's firm choice and where she is currently enjoying her first year. They offer a course called Modern Languages with Latin American Studies, which allows you to take Spanish and Portuguese. They offer Portuguese all the way up to degree level and have a very flexible structure with a lot of choice.

Although their requirements are roughly the same as Leeds (ABB-BBB) they are known to be pretty flexible about accepting students who miss their offers.

I know neither of these is particularly well-known for languages; I very rarely see people asking about them specifically on here for languages, but that could also work in your favour. Just because they are not particularly well-known for the subject doesn't mean they're no good. As I mentioned, my daughter is very satisfied with her course so far and as a linguist myself I thought the language departments at both were very satisfactory.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by FionaMG
Hi,

I'm not sure if by "area" you mean geographical area or subject field?

If you're stuck on that particular geographical area, you could take a look at Hull. They have lower entry requirements.

This was my daughter's insurance choice last year for French and Spanish with Translation Studies. They don't offer an identical course to the one you're looking at at Leeds (for example, Portuguese is only offered up to intermediate level and you may not be able to incorporate it into your course), but they do have a lot of options.

We visited the university twice, once for an open day and then subsequently for an applicant day. We both liked the department, its facilities and the staff.

If you were willing to move farther afield, you could look at Essex. This was my daughter's firm choice and where she is currently enjoying her first year. They offer a course called Modern Languages with Latin American Studies, which allows you to take Spanish and Portuguese. They offer Portuguese all the way up to degree level and have a very flexible structure with a lot of choice.

Although their requirements are roughly the same as Leeds (ABB-BBB) they are known to be pretty flexible about accepting students who miss their offers.

I know neither of these is particularly well-known for languages; I very rarely see people asking about them specifically on here for languages, but that could also work in your favour. Just because they are not particularly well-known for the subject doesn't mean they're no good. As I mentioned, my daughter is very satisfied with her course so far and as a linguist myself I thought the language departments at both were very satisfactory.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :smile:

thank you so much i've found this very helpful however by area i meant geographical as it is not an easy option for me to decide to move away from home due to financial reasons
Hello,

I have an offer from Leeds for Spanish and Italian at AAB. They have an Access to Leeds programme that might be useful to you, it lowers an offer by two grades, so for you it would be BBC which could be more attainable? One of the requirements is that you have to study in that location for a reason. It's worth applying :smile:

My insurance is Aberystywyth for Romance Languages at 280 points which is around BCC I think!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending