The Student Room Group

I'm really stuck on what career path to take...any advice??

Poll

What do you think

Hi everyone! I'm really stuck on what career to choose.. I know no one on here knows me but I thought I'd ask for advice because I'm going crazy not being able to decide!

I've basically narrowed it down to Medicine or accountany. I know they sound very different but I'm genuinely interested in them both, and I have good reasons it's not just for ££ I swear.

Accountancy appeals to me because I like solving problems, interested in looking at accounts, I like working in a team and also the ability to travel is appealing...

Medicine appeals to be because I am fascinated with anatomy and how the body works. I'd also like to help people and feel this career would be rewarding. I also think I have a better chance of getting into medical school than I have on getting a big 4 training contract due to my past experience and my scientific degree and the masters I am currently doing.

Dentistry seems like a bit of a middle man as it has buisness aspects to it and is also very biologically based though I'm not sure whether I'd find it as interesting as medicine or accountancy. However the more normal working hours are a definite plus.

I have already got some medical work experience but not for accountancy or dentistry. This would be very almost impossible for me to get due to work commitments and my course keeping me busy pretty much 24/7.. I would probably have to drop my masters in order to do some which I wouldn't mind if I was sure I wanted to apply to dentistry/ accountancy but presently I can't decide which. I really want to apply this year too (to start in 2017) due to being 25 atm so don't want to leave it much longer

I know all these jobs are very competitive, I am normally a very decisive person so I think this is why its stressing me out so much.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thank you in advance
Original post by pipp
Hi everyone! I'm really stuck on what career to choose.. I know no one on here knows me but I thought I'd ask for advice because I'm going crazy not being able to decide!

I've basically narrowed it down to Medicine or accountany. I know they sound very different but I'm genuinely interested in them both, and I have good reasons it's not just for ££ I swear.

Accountancy appeals to me because I like solving problems, interested in looking at accounts, I like working in a team and also the ability to travel is appealing...

Medicine appeals to be because I am fascinated with anatomy and how the body works. I'd also like to help people and feel this career would be rewarding. I also think I have a better chance of getting into medical school than I have on getting a big 4 training contract due to my past experience and my scientific degree and the masters I am currently doing.

Dentistry seems like a bit of a middle man as it has buisness aspects to it and is also very biologically based though I'm not sure whether I'd find it as interesting as medicine or accountancy. However the more normal working hours are a definite plus.

I have already got some medical work experience but not for accountancy or dentistry. This would be very almost impossible for me to get due to work commitments and my course keeping me busy pretty much 24/7.. I would probably have to drop my masters in order to do some which I wouldn't mind if I was sure I wanted to apply to dentistry/ accountancy but presently I can't decide which. I really want to apply this year too (to start in 2017) due to being 25 atm so don't want to leave it much longer

I know all these jobs are very competitive, I am normally a very decisive person so I think this is why its stressing me out so much.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thank you in advance

WOW! Its quite scary that you and I are in the exact same situation. I am currently studying A levels and this issue is killing me!!. I also have narrowed it down to Medicine, Dentistry and Accountancy/Finance. If don't mind me asking what do you have a degree in? Also can't you get a Big 4 training contract with a science degree? Or do they prefer applicants with a degree in Economics or Accountancy and Finance?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DeadEnd_96
WOW! Its quite scary that you and I are in the exact same situation. I am currently studying A levels and this issue is killing me!!. I too also have narrowed it down to Medicine, Dentistry and Accountancy/Finance. If don't mind me asking what do you have a degree in? Also can't you get a Big 4 training contract with a science degree? Or do they prefer applicants with a degree in Economics or Accountancy and Finance?

Haha i feel your pain! Its so stressful not knowing what to do! I did biology after swapping from psychology, and doing a masters in psychiatry atm (so very medically related)
Reply 3
Also I wouldn't worry tooo much about your future pre uni. Pretty much all courses have transferable skills that would help if you decided to go into any career later. I'm just panicking cos I've done my degree :P
Reply 4
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending