The Student Room Group

Making uni friends in second term

I feel like I didn't try enough in my first term of uni and am really regretting it. I have 2 flatmates who I get on with and 1 friend on my course, but apart from that not any proper friends and I feel quite lonely a lot and get bored from being in my room too much. I'm thinking of joining some sport societies in the 2nd term but am worried it's too late as everyone will have their friend groups and I'm quite shy and not good at sports - I just want to do something to get out the flat, exercise and meet people. Is anyone else in this position? Would anyone else consider joining societies in the 2nd term?
Reply 1
I think I'm gonna join a sports society in second term. No harm in trying :h:
A lot of Uni's have 2nd term Fresher's Fairs, so if yours has that expect plenty of new recruits at societies. Honestly, unless you're incredibly unlucky, it's hard not to make friends at Uni, it forces you into social situations :smile:
It's not too late. I don't know if your university accepts Erasmus/study abroad students, but at my university some of them join university for the second semester and join societies then. So you would definitely NOT be the odd one out joining societies in the second semester.
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree with the peeps opinions, trying to join in societies or organizations at the start of the second semester wouldn't harm. Just to make you feel better, you'll gain instant companions at the second semester. Why? Almost all of the members of each societies are already friends, and knowing that the second semester means fresh meats are coming, they will make you feel welcome to their society (Still depends on the environment and the nature of the society). Just a piece of advice, choose your society wisely. There are societies that are really political. Choose something that you think will benefit you and give you the right social needs. Good luck my friend

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending