The Student Room Group

Stanford University Requirements for Computer Science!!

Okay, so my friend wants to computer software engineering in Stanford university and has no clue of what to do, and right now she is doing AS level program and she does Biology, Chemistry and Physics and wonders if she should ICT instead of biology and also what she need to get into Stanford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoyNsa
Okay, so my friend wants to computer software engineering in Stanford university and has no clue of what to do, and right now she is doing AS level program and she does Biology, Chemistry and Physics and wonders if she should ICT instead of biology and also what she need to get into Stanford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look on the Stanford website, but they will want SAT/ACT.
Reply 2
Original post by JoyNsa

Posted from TSR Mobile

As the post above me already stated, I think it's best to look at the Stanford website for the entry requirements.

From experience, ICT, Business Studies, and General Studies are regarded as weaker A-levels for some universities, so perhaps, it may be best to have ICT as an additional "4th" a-level, should it go wrong; that way you'll have a back up. However, all universities are different, and it would be best to confirm this with Stanford.
Reply 3
Original post by JoyNsa

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's admirable but just in terms of setting expectations, does she know the success rate for international applicants? It's *much* lower than even Oxbridge.

Also she will almost certainly need Maths A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoyNsa

Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesn't sound promising...
Original post by JoyNsa

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't really apply to a course, you apply to 'Stanford'.

She'll need:
- All As (preferably) to a couple As/Bs in her AS exams, with solid predictions of A/A* for her A2 exams to stand a chance
- Mostly As/A*s at GCSE
- A solid SAT score (i.e. 2200+, 2100 minimum)
OR
- A solid ACT score (i.e. 34+)
- Solid SAT II scores 700+ (mid 700s to 800 preferably)
- Amazing ECs (started a company, ran organisations, led initiatives, built applications, volunteered extensively, national/international level awards or sports involvement)
- Glowing references from 2-3 teachers
- A good CommonApp essay + solid supplement essays

Even then, she'd probably still get rejected as the acceptance rate is c.5%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending