The Student Room Group

A Level Additional Further Maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanJ42
Yes I am, I don't think there's a rush to go to university. Although I'll see what offers I get, although I wouldn't be surprised to get rejected from my top 2/3

I think a gap year will be beneficial for you, whats the harm in learning more maths? :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Ben4
I think a gap year will beneficial for you, whats the harm in learning more maths? :biggrin:

I like your thinking Ben ;D
I like your thinking Ben ;D

I've taught all 18 Edexcel modules but 'difficulty' is very personal I think - D1 takes a week realistically if you have other things to do. You do need to practise the algorithms and they are more fun at uni - time constraints in the exam limit how complex the questions can be.

If you take a gap year will your teachers help you with STEP?
Reply 23
Original post by Muttley79
I've taught all 18 Edexcel modules but 'difficulty' is very personal I think - D1 takes a week realistically if you have other things to do. You do need to practise the algorithms and they are more fun at uni - time constraints in the exam limit how complex the questions can be.

If you take a gap year will your teachers help you with STEP?

Well I will have a whole to teach myself 6 modules plus prepare for STEP. If I decide to take a gap year I'll be able to start AFM in July so I'll be done pretty quickly

TSR will help me with STEP ;D seriously though I'm not sure, there's plenty of online resources and I'll find a STEP tutor if I really need one

Also I could be wrong here but doesn't STEP test your creative ability and application of maths to solve problems, so you cant really be taught how to do it, you can either do it or you can't?
Well I will have a whole to teach myself 6 modules plus prepare for STEP. If I decide to take a gap year I'll be able to start AFM in July so I'll be done pretty quickly

TSR will help me with STEP ;D seriously though I'm not sure, there's plenty of online resources and I'll find a STEP tutor if I really need one

Also I could be wrong here but doesn't STEP test your creative ability and application of maths to solve problems, so you cant really be taught how to do it, you can either do it or you can't?

You can be taught techniques for STEP - we run a course for our students - and there is this:

http://www.mei.org.uk/stepaea
Reply 25
Original post by Muttley79
You can be taught techniques for STEP - we run a course for our students - and there is this:

http://www.mei.org.uk/stepaea

I'm sure I could find some help somewhere then, to learn these techniques

Thank you very much for that :biggrin:
Reply 26
I'm currently working through FP3 for further maths. M5 seems amazing, but idk how difficult it is (5 is a big number :afraid:)

@Krollo has already studied it - I'll defer to his expertise and let him tell you what it's like. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest