The Student Room Group

British Biology Olympiad, January 2016

A thread to discuss the upcoming Biology Olympiad for post 16 students in the UK.
I've got mine in 2 days time anyone know any topics important this year?
Original post by Ninjakam119
How was it?

It was really hard much harder than last years one
Could you tell us sth more?
Original post by Hardy jacks
It was really hard much harder than last years one

This was my first one and i found it really hard compared to the past paper (dont know if that is a good comparison as i did that one at home) do you think the boundaries will be as high?
Original post by Chickenfoot20
This was my first one and i found it really hard compared to the past paper (dont know if that is a good comparison as i did that one at home) do you think the boundaries will be as high?

I thought it was very hard , yes the boundaries will probably change but I suspect only very slightly
Reply 6
Hi I just had mine today found it pretty difficult doubt I even got commended ended up guessing loads so I could leave school early lol. Do you know when we get our results back?
I did mine on Wednesday 27th January, it was definitely challenging. A few things I knew for definite, a large amount of educated guesses and more stabs in the dark than I'd like to admit. I'm doing AQA biology at A2 and there were some poor souls doing AS that did the quiz and I could tell just how much they regretted doing it because of the difficulty. Luckily I'd say there was around 4 questions that were listed on the BBO past paper example so I knew them right of the bat since I tried to do the example and checked it against the given syllabus. I've applied for biological science degrees microbiology degrees at university and hopefully this could be something extra curricular that will help me(?).
I knew it was going to be difficult but I had no idea just how bad it would be :| It didn't help either that halfway through the server cut out and my teacher had to ring the organisation and wait for it to come back online.. I'll probably be getting my results Monday 1st February and I honestly couldn't even begin to guess the mark I'll receive. Great to know that others found it really hard because I had the assumption it might be just me :').
Reply 8
Got my results for this today, ended up with 51 which gives me a gold. Only 2 marks off qualifying for the international paper which is a bit annoying.
Reply 9
I'm doing AS so really wasn't expecting anything at all as I found it hard!!
I got highly commended:h:, 2 marks off bronze!!
Reply 10
The boundary for gold is 48, in case anyone was wondering!!
Reply 11
Original post by kawehi
The boundary for gold is 48, in case anyone was wondering!!

Hi do you know what the boundary was for silver?
Hello, I've got through to the next round and wondered if there was anyone else? I really don't know how best to prepare. Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:
Original post by TardigradeFan
Hello, I've got through to the next round and wondered if there was anyone else? I really don't know how best to prepare. Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:

Im through too but this is my first time so id also appreciate any advice anyones got
I got 54 so I'm through, but I'm in year 12 so I don't know what to expect
Original post by Chickenfoot20
Im through too but this is my first time so id also appreciate any advice anyones got

Original post by andrewmoody98
I got 54 so I'm through, but I'm in year 12 so I don't know what to expect

My teacher gave me an undergrad textbook and I'm slowly working through that, but that's all I've done so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TardigradeFan
My teacher gave me an undergrad textbook and I'm slowly working through that, but that's all I've done so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which book is it?
Reply 17
So I got 56 so I think I qualified for the next round :biggrin: First time anyone in my school managed that so 0 clue what's happening now.
I'm the first one from my school to ever get gold, through to the next round as well but no clue of what's happening.
What is the best textbook to use in order to prepare for the BBO?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending