The Student Room Group

DESPERATE!! A Level politics 25 marker

I have just started A level government and politics this september.
I've been given an essay question and have no clue how i should adress it ,what to include etc ??
The essay question is
Discuss whether the additional member system has more advantages than other electoral systems used in the UK (25 marks)

I'd appreciate any sort of help,so worried

thanks guys x:frown:
Reply 1
This is an easy questions because it's an open range answer. you have to use your knowledge on AV, dominant electoral systems which is FPTP. Open with your question ''The AV system (explain what it is) has more advantages than other systems used in the UK such as FPTP (explain what it is)'' and you've just earnt 2-3 marks for showing understanding of the AV system and other systems. Speak about representation, how in a constituency, under the current system in general elections, 3 Candidates can get 20% of the vote and a 4th gets 21%, despite those 3 getting 60% in total the person with 21% wins even though 2/3 people in the constituency don't support them. Then speak about the Scottish and Welsh assembly, addionational members system and SV (used in the London mayor election). You start by showing you understand what they're asking. Then say the advantages of AV and explain and give an example. Then do it for disadvantages. And include many comparisons because not only is it asking for it but it shows understanding, so even if you were asked "explain the benefits of AV" always compare. Finally sum up your points, drop a bomb (an obvious point you've saved throughout and haven't mentioned), wrap it up and conclude. Oh and always define key terms!!!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thankyou so much! I cant stress how much i really appreciate it.For some reason i just couldnt process exactly what they were asking.
Thanks again for all your help! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending