The Student Room Group

University disability service and social anxiety?

Reply 1
Any experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by number23
Any experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just get support
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
Just get support

What kind of support?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of support?

Posted from TSR Mobile

from your uni counselling service. They're not allowed to judge you.
Reply 5
I've heard all good things about the support at Winchester University for anyone with physical and psychological difficulties. I'm stuck between my unis and I'm deciding which one to attend on the basis on which one I think would be ideal for support.

Lots of universities provide a lot of student support in this area, they have talk about it extensively on their websites.

When I visited Winchester on an open day, I spoke with a woman who worked in student support and I barely needed to tell her anything and it seemed like the KNEW exactly what I would need! It was amazing! I have 100% confidence you would get all the support you need there :smile:
Reply 6
Im already a fourth year, ive left it really late to get help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Im already a fourth year, ive left it really late to get help

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is certainly not too late - you are entitled to just as much help as a first year :smile:
Reply 8
What do you want to know? It isn't too late to get some help. Speak to student support at whatever uni you go to - they can advise you. You can access the university counselling service or see your GP for help. You could also apply for DSA if you have a diagnosed disability.
Reply 9
I'd start with your uni's counselling service. It's paid for out of your tuition fees, so you're fully entitled to use it. Mine was invaluable when I ran into problems. As well as providing help with your issues, they can advise on how to access other forms of help, such as DSA.
Reply 10
Original post by Jenx301
What do you want to know? It isn't too late to get some help. Speak to student support at whatever uni you go to - they can advise you. You can access the university counselling service or see your GP for help. You could also apply for DSA if you have a diagnosed disability.

Ive been to counselling, they only provide a limited amount of sessions and she directed me to seek help from the disability service on the basis of social anxiety

I have never been to the doctor so have no diagnosis

I wanted to know what support to provide if you have social anxiety

Its a bit nerve wracking but I may go in tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Klix88
I'd start with your uni's counselling service. It's paid for out of your tuition fees, so you're fully entitled to use it. Mine was invaluable when I ran into problems. As well as providing help with your issues, they can advise on how to access other forms of help, such as DSA.

Yeh thanks

I used the sessions provided and am recommended to go to disability on the basis of social anxiety

Was wonderimg other peoples experiences before i go...

Ty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive been to counselling, they only provide a limited amount of sessions and she directed me to seek help from the disability service on the basis of social anxiety

I have never been to the doctor so have no diagnosis

I wanted to know what support to provide if you have social anxiety

Its a bit nerve wracking but I may go in tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case you should probably see your GP because
1) They can refer you on to more counselling if you need it
2) Usually support offered by student support is funded through DSA which needs medical evidence.

For example I get support for my mental health problems: I have a support worker who I meet every week. I get extensions on assignments, I get taxi fares paid for me, I get funding for a studio flat, I got a laptop, a printer, books paid for, a dictaphone, a note taker etc.

However, all the support that I have is paid for through my DSA and I had to provide evidence of my mental health conditions to get it. I think you should book an appointment to see both your GP and student support. It may be that student support can offer you something without needing DSA but it depends how things work at your university.

Also bare in mind that I have more diagnosis than just anxiety so you may not get the same level of things that I have as my condition is quite severe. It's just to give you an idea of the kind of help that people with mental health problems may get.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Jenx301
2) Usually support offered by student support is funded through DSA which needs medical evidence.

For example I get support for my mental health problems: I have a support worker who I meet every week. I get extensions on assignments, I get taxi fares paid for me, I get funding for a studio flat, I got a laptop, a printer, books paid for, a dictaphone, a note taker etc.

However, all the support that I have is paid for through my DSA and I had to provide evidence of my mental health conditions to get it. I think you should book an appointment to see both your GP and student support. It may be that student support can offer you something without needing DSA but it depends how things work at your university.

Also bare in mind that I have more diagnosis than just anxiety so you may not get the same level of things that I have as my condition is quite severe. It's just to give you an idea of the kind of help that people with mental health problems may get.

Thanks very much for your advice

I had 6 sessions with a counsellor and she said she would write a letter of support if needed, but she really encouraged me to go to the disability office

So I am going to see them today, and see what they say, about the diagnosis too

Now that I have accepted the problem, I would not mind going to the GP so will see what the disability support people say, amd if I meed a diagnosis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Jenx301

Also term ends in like 2 days so I just want to pop into the disability service for advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest