The Student Room Group

Resolution 2007/21: Concerning the emergency search and rescue services.

This poll is closed

Do you support my resolution?

Why Not100%
No0%
Abstain0%
Total votes: 5
Committee: Social, Cultural, and Humanitarian
Submitted by: Liechtenstein

The General Assembly of The United Nations,

Noting that emergency search and rescue services on land and sea (within this resolution limited to deep water search and rescue, coastal search and rescue, lifeguards, coastguards, mountain, desert and forest search and rescue and urban search and rescue) are often under funded, under-equipped and poorly managed,
Noting that in some areas there is no such force stationed,
Noting that incidents across a border can lead to delays,
Noting that if climate change occurs as predicted the number of incidents will increase due to a greater frequency of ‘freak’ weather conditions,
Convinced that a UN program would at least in part solve these programs, by improving collaboration and communication between the services,
Confident a program such as this could drastically reduce the number of fatal accidents at sea and on the mountains.

1. Proposes the creation of the United Nations Emergency Services Programe, comprising of a committee of 50 member states each serving 3 terms, a series of experts, both practical and technical, and an international infrastructure such that training and equipment will be available to any emergency services across the globe;

2. Affirms that this program shall be answerable to the General Assembly, Security Council and the Secretary General;

3. Assures the assembly that existing infrastructure will not be replaced, only given more funding and an international standard set down, that the programme will be guided by the current ASTM and other existing organisations,

4. Calls those member states for which a search and rescue or emergency service of this type is directly relevant and within which such a service does not exist to set up a service answerable to this programme,

5. Requires those existing programs to become answerable to the standards imposed by this programme

6. Recognises that many of those involved are volunteers, all travelling and training expenses will be paid by the programme

7. Requests that the UN provide a budget for the funding of these services, relative to the size and importance in the area, and calls upon member states to do likewise internally if they do not already,

8. Reaffirms the UN’s duty to improve safety to all peoples across the globe.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmm, interesting *strokes stubble*
Reply 2
Hungary first notes the current existence of the International Search and Rescue Advisory Group (INSARAG), an advisory body that seeks to develop methods and standards in urban search and rescue, paticularly in areas hit by earthquakes.

Hungary would secondly dispute whether an emergency and rescue service for land and sea would have any real humanitarian impact, except perhaps in an advisory role. The need for search and rescue response in mountains for example is quite different from the need for search and rescue response in cases of earthquake. In the latter, large numbers of people require aid in areas which due to natural disaster have lost important elements of infastructure, such as communications and water. These events clearly require an immediate international response. In situations such as mountain rescue however, numbers tend to be far smaller, and national services are often well equipped for these instances. This being the case, and recognising the pressures many search and rescue services are under in continuing their operations, both financially and logistically, Hungary questions the value of the creation of such a programme in anything other than an advisory capacity.

The exception to this is, in Hungary's eyes, deep sea rescue operations. Sadly recalling the terrible loss of life on the Kursk in 2000, Hungary cannot help but feel that an ever-ready, politically neutral UN response team might avoid future tragedies.
Reply 3
The United States would like to know why an increase in the INSARAG's budget is not the answer to solving the problems. Accordingly, it would increase the scope of the organisation's range and scope in handling all sorts of emergencies. What is the point in creating another organisation?
Reply 4
Dann
Hungary first notes the current existence of the International Search and Rescue Advisory Group (INSARAG), an advisory body that seeks to develop methods and standards in urban search and rescue, paticularly in areas hit by earthquakes.

Hungary would secondly dispute whether an emergency and rescue service for land and sea would have any real humanitarian impact, except perhaps in an advisory role. The need for search and rescue response in mountains for example is quite different from the need for search and rescue response in cases of earthquake. In the latter, large numbers of people require aid in areas which due to natural disaster have lost important elements of infastructure, such as communications and water. These events clearly require an immediate international response. In situations such as mountain rescue however, numbers tend to be far smaller, and national services are often well equipped for these instances. This being the case, and recognising the pressures many search and rescue services are under in continuing their operations, both financially and logistically, Hungary questions the value of the creation of such a programme in anything other than an advisory capacity.

The exception to this is, in Hungary's eyes, deep sea rescue operations. Sadly recalling the terrible loss of life on the Kursk in 2000, Hungary cannot help but feel that an ever-ready, politically neutral UN response team might avoid future tragedies.

Leichtenstein welcome the valid points made by Hungary. Firstly INSARAG provides the same function as ASTM mentioned in the resoution, that of an advisary and standards authority. This programme would not be setting up standards, but instituting, training, financing and providing equipment for emergency services worldwide.

[OOC] I wasn't really talking about earthquakes, but I probably should have been :redface: Even Urban S&R I was unsure about including, but I thought I would be complete[/OOC]

This reslution was intended to be focused on Deep sea search and rescue, but standardising the equipment and training across the disciplines worldwide would mean a cast improvement in communication between the services and the number of people successfully rescued.

There are not always services avaliable, especially in some of the poorer areas of the world. Unfortunately these tend to be where emergency S&R services would be most welome. This programme would provide equipment and funds to support services in these areas.

Also an inland S&R unt would receive training not only concerning (to take an example) mountainous search and rescue, but also response to landslides and other freak conditions. Similarly with services in earthquake areas.

This programme is intended not as an advisory commitee, but one that actively forms, trains, finaces and maintains emergency services across the globe.
Reply 5
This is an interesting idea....not sure if i will vote for it as yet....well get back to you
Reply 6
ukebert
Leichtenstein welcome the valid points made by Hungary. Firstly INSARAG provides the same function as ASTM mentioned in the resoution, that of an advisary and standards authority. This programme would not be setting up standards, but instituting, training, financing and providing equipment for emergency services worldwide.

[OOC] I wasn't really talking about earthquakes, but I probably should have been :redface: Even Urban S&R I was unsure about including, but I thought I would be complete[/OOC]

This resolution was intended to be focused on Deep sea search and rescue, but standardising the equipment and training across the disciplines worldwide would mean a vast improvement in communication between the services and the number of people successfully rescued.

There are not always services avaliable, especially in some of the poorer areas of the world. Unfortunately these tend to be where emergency S&R services would be most welome. This programme would provide equipment and funds to support services in these areas.

Also an inland S&R unt would receive training not only concerning (to take an example) mountainous search and rescue, but also response to landslides and other freak conditions. Similarly with services in earthquake areas.

This programme is intended not as an advisory commitee, but one that actively forms, trains, finaces and maintains emergency services across the globe.

Hungary appreciates Lichtenstein's quick response. These clarifications satisfy Hungary's initial concerns. It would however ask, as the US representative noted, that such an expansion of UN duties be integrated with the current INSARAG body in the name of economy, and that the resolution be altered to show this.

With this understanding, Hungary would be fully prepared to support the resolution, believing it would be an extremely effective and worthwhile tool in humanitarian efforts.
Reply 7
Dann
Hungary appreciates Lichtenstein's quick response. These clarifications satisfy Hungary's initial concerns. It would however ask, as the US representative noted, that such an expansion of UN duties be integrated with the current INSARAG body in the name of economy, and that the resolution be altered to show this.

With this understanding, Hungary would be fully prepared to support the resolution, believing it would be an extremely effective and worthwhile tool in humanitarian efforts.

Liechtenstein believes that since INSARAG is an advisary group and mainly concerned with Urban S&E, that the existing structure be incorporated into this new programme as an advisory board. the new programme would then be titled the United Nations Search and Rescue Programme, or UNSRP.

If however the wishes of the assembly are that the new programme be under the umbrella of the old then Leichtenstein will cheerfully submit to their wishes :smile:
Reply 8
France is impressed with this suggestion. With regards to pont six, how feasible are volunteers? Surely if this is to be permanent, we'll need to pay them?
Reply 9
brimstone
France is impressed with this suggestion. With regards to pont six, how feasible are volunteers? Surely if this is to be permanent, we'll need to pay them?

At present many of those performing these duties are voluteers, notably the RNLI. This resolution is in part intended to give these people the training and equipment they deserve at no extra cost to the organisation. In some areas of course professionals will be needed, and they will be paid.
China is open to considering the amalgamation of this committee.
Reply 11
Argentina feels that it would be more prudent to augment the existing organisation instead of creating a new one.
We will hold off from deciding just yet.
Reply 12
[OOC] call me picky, but isn't this somewhat outside the remit of the UN? [/OOC]
The Ukraine believes having yet another advisory group present at humanitarian disasters, such as the Boxing Day tsumani, would only increase confusion and red tape. Instead, why not help the INSARAG or Red Cross?
Ethereal
[OOC] call me picky, but isn't this somewhat outside the remit of the UN? [/OOC]

Dammit, you're so frickin' picky!
gemgems89
Dammit, you're so frickin' picky!

[OOC] He's right, and I was thinking it myself. But I'm prepared to go with it this time. Its ukebert's first resolution too! :biggrin:[/OOC]

Spoiler

Craghyrax
[OOC] He's right, and I was thinking it myself. But I'm prepared to go with it this time. Its ukebert's first resolution too! :biggrin:[/OOC]

Spoiler

Yeah exactly. :biggrin: But still, I like taking the mick out of Ethers. :biggrin:
Reply 17
ukebert
At present many of those performing these duties are voluteers, notably the RNLI. This resolution is in part intended to give these people the training and equipment they deserve at no extra cost to the organisation. In some areas of course professionals will be needed, and they will be paid.

Brilliant :smile: France is in favour of this resolution, but will watch the ensuing discussion carefully.
Reply 18
Craghyrax

Spoiler

[OOC]:wink:[/OOC]

brimstone
Brilliant :smile: France is in favour of this resolution, but will watch the ensuing discussion carefully.

Leichtenstein is grateful to France for their support and hopes that support will be continued.

To others, the reason for creating a new organisation and not amalgamating it into the old is that this new programme performs a very different function, and the old is naturally subservient to it, acting in an advisary role only. INSAR-Advisory-Group.

This programme would be active all the year round, not just in major disasters, although obviously it would play a part in them, along with the current bodies.
Reply 19
Germany approves of the sentiment that different countries should co-operate and co-ordinate with one another in such emergencies, especially when lives are in danger. We enjoy a level of such co-operation with Switzerland and Austria in the case of Mountain Rescue operations.
However, Germany remains to be convinced of the need to create such a large over-arching organisation. The reason why Alpine search-and-rescue operations need such effective international co-operation is because they are close to borders, and a geographically specific case. Germany feels that perhaps the actual implementation of emergency services on the ground is best left to national emergency services, and the emergency services of neighbour states. In short, it works better on a regional level.
Germany does however feel that the sharing of expertise on a world level cannot but help. We will vote in favour of a resolution which would lead to greater sharing of expertise, but remain unconvinced of the merits of actually creating a global emergency services.

Latest

Trending

Trending