The Student Room Group

Need help with oxidation number

In this equation, mn has been reduced from +7 to +2 but for o it has been oxidised but I don't quite get it because o is -2 in 4h2o. Why are h2o2 and 5o2 the only one considered not 4h2o ? Thanks 14501181515911513070327.jpg
oxygen is always -2 but mn is an element that's oxidation number can differ from reaction to reaction
Reply 2
Your equation is all wrong, I think you're trying to combine MnO4- -> Mn2+ - the reduction of mangante(VII) with H2O2 -> H2O + O2 - the disproportion of H2O2 (i.e. the reaction catalysed by MnO2).

You want the overall equation for the reactions: MnO4- ->Mn2+ vs H2O2 -> O2 (no water)
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
Your equation is all wrong, I think you're trying to combine MnO4- -> Mn2+ - the reduction of mangante(VII) with H2O2 -> H2O + O2 - the disproportion of H2O2 (i.e. the reaction catalysed by MnO2).

You want the overall equation for the reactions: MnO4- ->Mn2+ vs H2O2 -> O2 (no water)

Hi, this is a question from an OCR exam paper. In the mark scheme it only says that o is oxidized but it didn't mention that the oxidation number is -2 in 4h2o. Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by JakeLivingstone
oxygen is always -2 but mn is an element that's oxidation number can differ from reaction to reaction

I don't quite get it because o is -2 in 4h2o. Why are h2o2 and 5o2 the only one considered not 4h2o for oxidation ? Thanks
Reply 5
Since O in H2O is in its lowest oxidation state, that is where it is most reduced.

O2 = 0
H2O2 = -1
H2O = -2

Getting to H2O must be reduction (for the O)
Original post by coconut64
In this equation, mn has been reduced from +7 to +2 but for o it has been oxidised but I don't quite get it because o is -2 in 4h2o. Why are h2o2 and 5o2 the only one considered not 4h2o ? Thanks 14501181515911513070327.jpg

A few things: firstly if you check your equation it doesn't balance - you need 8 H2O on the right hand side. Also it's important to appreciate that oxidation states are not additive - you don't add up the oxidation states of elements on each side of the equation. It is better to think of only certain components as playing a role in the redox reaction, and other components exist as acid/base components to balance the equation. Here it is the oxygen in peroxide that gets oxidised - the oxide ions of permanganate and water are known as spectator ions and only serve to balance the equations.

I have shown below a way to work out the redox reaction. Firstly you should determine which of the reactant species are being reduced and which are being oxidised. Here MnO4- is being reduced into Mn2+ (+7 -> +2), whilst the oxygen in hydrogen peroxide is being oxidised to oxygen (-1 -> O).

Write out these as two 'half equations'...

REDUCTION: MnO4- -> Mn2+

OXIDATION: H2O2 -> O2

Now balance for oxygen atoms by adding water to the appropriate sides. Only the first reaction requires that here, as the number of oxygens on each side of the equation balance in the second equation...

RED: MnO4- -> Mn2+ + 4H2O

OX: H2O2 -> O2

Now balance for hydrogen atoms by adding H+ to the appropriate sides...

RED: MnO4- + 8H+ -> Mn2+ + 4H2O

OX: H2O2 -> O2 + 2H+

Finally balance for charges on each side of the equation by addition of e-...

RED: MnO4- + 8H+ + 5e- -> Mn2+ + 4H2O

OX: H2O2 -> O2 + 2H+ + 2e-

Now we need the numbers of electrons in each half equation to be equal, so multiply the first equation through by 2 and the second by 5 so each involve 10 electrons...

RED: 2MnO4- + 16H+ + 10e- -> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O

OX: 5H2O2 -> 5O2 + 10H+ + 10e-

Add these two equations...

REDOX: 2MnO4- + 16H+ + 10e- + 5H2O2 -> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O + 5O2 + 10H+ + 10e-

Cancelling excess H+ and cancelling the e- gives...

REDOX: 2MnO4- + 6H+ + 5H2O2 -> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O + 5O2

It should now be easy to see that no atoms in H+ and H2O are involved in the core Redox process - we simply include them as acid/base components to balance the reaction. Mn is reduced, and O in peroxide is oxidised.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by JakeLivingstone

Oxygen is present in the -2 oxidation state in the oxide ion. It can be present in the 0, -1 or -2 oxidation state. The above reagent - peroxide - is such a case where it exists in the -1 oxidation state as the ions involved are 2 x H+ and 1 x O22-. Therefore the oxygen atom in peroxide bears -2/2 = -1 oxidation state.

Molecular oxygen is the 0 oxidation state as it is neutral.

Quick Reply

Latest