The Student Room Group
University of York
York

What are the lecturers/supervisors like?!

Hi,
I got a conditional offer from York which I'm happy about, but now it's all starting to feel very real :wink:
Can anyone tell me what the lecturers/supervisors are like?
In what way do they teach you - one big lecture room, or a small group of people.....is it similar to a college/A-level lesson or more like watching a talk/lecture?
Also, are the lecturers/supervisors nice? That's probably a stupid question....but all my college lecturers are really nice and approachable and they have a laugh with you as much as help with academic stuff. Are uni lecturers the same??
Do you get treated like a student still? Like are they understanding of the fact that it's your first time living away from home, etc.
I really want to make the most of my time at uni but I'm worried I'll really miss my college because the teachers/lecturers there are all so nice.
Thanks so much for your help!!! :smile:
Original post by MozForever
Hi,
I got a conditional offer from York which I'm happy about, but now it's all starting to feel very real :wink:
Can anyone tell me what the lecturers/supervisors are like?
In what way do they teach you - one big lecture room, or a small group of people.....is it similar to a college/A-level lesson or more like watching a talk/lecture?
Also, are the lecturers/supervisors nice? That's probably a stupid question....but all my college lecturers are really nice and approachable and they have a laugh with you as much as help with academic stuff. Are uni lecturers the same??
Do you get treated like a student still? Like are they understanding of the fact that it's your first time living away from home, etc.
I really want to make the most of my time at uni but I'm worried I'll really miss my college because the teachers/lecturers there are all so nice.
Thanks so much for your help!!! :smile:

Hi there,

Firstly, what have you applied to study?

Thanks,

Helen
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Firstly, what have you applied to study?

Thanks,

Helen

History and French :smile:
Original post by MozForever
History and French :smile:

Hi,

In History you will be taught through a mixture of lectures (50-300 people) and seminars (12-16 people).

Lectures vary in style, but generally do just consist of listening to presentations on particular aspects of History (depending which options you choose). Their primary aim is to introduce students to the key elements of a particular topic and to guide their subsequent reading (because a lot of independent learning takes place outside of the classroom).

Seminars last from 1.5-3 hours and are much more interactive. This is where students get the chance to discuss reading they have done, formulate their own arguments, study primary source material and take part in class debates.

It's a bit different from school (less spoon-feeding, more independent learning, a lot of reading outside class), but staff understand that the transition can be difficult and do their best to assist this. Most students have no problem.

Students also get assigned a personal tutor, or supervisor, who they meet with at least once a term and who is their first port of call if they have any worries, big or small. All of our staff are friendly and approachable.

You might also be interested in reading a recent blog post by Jamie, a second year History student, who talks about studying History in York: http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/author/jw1661/

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Helen Cowie
Undergraduate Admissions Tutor
Department of History

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending