The Student Room Group

Supporting an average team nowhere near you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TornadoGR4
Its not right in itself, but it's more right than supporting a top team that you live nowhere near.

Similar to people who support their nearest PL team, even if that PL team is 60 miles away & they have half a dozen lower league clubs closer to them. Just don't.

To be honest it doesnt matter me newcastle was the first team i liked so i guess its going to be that way lol
Original post by scriggy
Aye, pick out the game ear marked for protest after we lost 6 games in a row for the first time ever; conceding 17 and scoring 1 in the process. That game also went on to become his only win in 15 games, and his 5th in 10 months.

But yeah, use a home win against a relegated side to show how well he was doing. Brilliant.

That was the worst incident. It was notable, because they won the game convincingly (regardless of opposition) yet the sh*t Geordies were still whinging about Pardew DURING THE GAME. Regardless, the second half of that season wasn't that bad when Newcastle fans never fell out of the top half, unable to accept the concept their club may have periods where it doesn't overachieve. You don't even see Chelsea fans demanding Mourinho's head in the same way Newcastle fans were after Pardew.
Original post by Diego Costa
You don't even see Chelsea fans demanding Mourinho's head in the same way Newcastle fans were after Pardew.

K well maybe if Pardew had delivered 3 league titles to Newcastle their fans would have given him the benefit of the doubt
Original post by MagicNMedicine
K well maybe if Pardew had delivered 3 league titles to Newcastle their fans would have given him the benefit of the doubt

I agree. Winning the Premier League was a really realistic ambition for Newcastle United. It's not as though Mourinho inherited better squads or had more money.
I agree. Winning the Premier League was a really realistic ambition for Newcastle United. It's not as though Mourinho inherited better squads or had more money.

The difference with Mourinho is he achieved significantly better results than previous Chelsea managers.

A better comparison for Newcastle fans would be Keegan or Robson. They didn't win the league but they consistently did pretty well in the context of Newcastle history and hence the fans stuck with them when there were a few sticky patches.

With Pardew basically he had one good season, 2011/12. Then a bit of an iffy season in 2012/13. Then a disastrous collapse in the second half of 2013/14. Yes he then won 6 games on the run in late 2014 but either side of that the form was indifferent too. The further in to the past your 'relative success' slips the more the crowd turn.

Mourinho delivered the title a few months ago so he still has plenty of credit in his account with the Newcastle fans. But consider this scenario: lets say in 2015/16 he finishes 12th with Chelsea. Then in 2016/17 he finishes 5th. Then in 2017/18 Chelsea have a bad start to the season. Will the fans still be chanting "Jose Mourinho" or will a lot say thanks for the memories but we need to move forward.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
The difference with Mourinho is he achieved significantly better results than previous Chelsea managers.

He had far more money and inherited a better squad than any other Chelsea manager. I could say that Mark Hughes was a more successful Man City manager than anyone else before him, but he still wasn't a success.

A better comparison for Newcastle fans would be Keegan or Robson. They didn't win the league but they consistently did pretty well in the context of Newcastle history and hence the fans stuck with them when there were a few sticky patches.

With Pardew basically he had one good season, 2011/12. Then a bit of an iffy season in 2012/13. Then a disastrous collapse in the second half of 2013/14. Yes he then won 6 games on the run in late 2014 but either side of that the form was indifferent too. The further in to the past your 'relative success' slips the more the crowd turn.

He did well in 2010/11 to continue to get them to 12th when they lost Carroll, who their entire game was built on. 11/12 was a great season, I wouldn't just say good. For a club like Newcastle to get 5th and finish ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea was a huge accomplishment. I don't think it was that bad of a collapse, if they consistently remained in the top half of the League.

Mourinho delivered the title a few months ago so he still has plenty of credit in his account with the Newcastle fans. But consider this scenario: lets say in 2015/16 he finishes 12th with Chelsea. Then in 2016/17 he finishes 5th. Then in 2017/18 Chelsea have a bad start to the season. Will the fans still be chanting "Jose Mourinho" or will a lot say thanks for the memories but we need to move forward.

Newcastle United fans weren't saying "thanks for the memories" it was far more severe than that. Pardew achieved far more than anyone in the previous decade, but was hounded far worse than anyone there. Finishes of 5th, 16th, 10th and 10th again (before he left), are more than acceptable for a club that finished 12th, 13th and 18th the seasons before he took them over. When you consider how little he spent in his time there, it really does show how much he had against him.
That was the worst incident. It was notable, because they won the game convincingly (regardless of opposition) yet the sh*t Geordies were still whinging about Pardew DURING THE GAME. Regardless, the second half of that season wasn't that bad when Newcastle fans never fell out of the top half, unable to accept the concept their club may have periods where it doesn't overachieve. You don't even see Chelsea fans demanding Mourinho's head in the same way Newcastle fans were after Pardew.

16 points from 19 games isn't "not that bad" haha that's bottom of the table form. That off the back of nearly getting relegated the previous season with the worst home form in the league. No one has a problem with being 10th per se it's just the way it happened. Even the good run we had at the start of that season felt in spite of him, rather than because of. I could throw you a whole load of stats showing why else the fans were pissed off but I think you've already made your mind up regardless.
Original post by scriggy
16 points from 19 games isn't "not that bad" haha that's bottom of the table form. That off the back of nearly getting relegated the previous season with the worst home form in the league. No one has a problem with being 10th per se it's just the way it happened. Even the good run we had at the start of that season felt in spite of him, rather than because of. I could throw you a whole load of stats showing why else the fans were pissed off but I think you've already made your mind up regardless.

Yup. I was defending my position agains "revisionist claims".

My initial point was that they had sh*t ungrateful fans and you claimed I was rewriting history. I didn't see lynch mobs against Carver when he got nine points from 17 games prior to the last game of the season. Look at McClaren, he's doing a worse job than Pardew ever did.

It seems that because Pardew overachieved the dumb fans thought they deserved top 6 every season.
Yup. I was defending my position agains "revisionist claims".

My initial point was that they had sh*t ungrateful fans and you claimed I was rewriting history. I didn't see lynch mobs against Carver when he got nine points from 17 games prior to the last game of the season. Look at McClaren, he's doing a worse job than Pardew ever did.

It seems that because Pardew overachieved the dumb fans thought they deserved top 6 every season.

You were rewriting history in claiming he was getting "good results." That's all I was refuting. If you think the way the fans treat him was unjust then fair enough, but there's no way on Earth you can argue that he was getting good results. I'm just sick of this fallacy that he was doing well for us and we were lucky to have him.
There are allegedly around 600 million people who follow an average team nowhere near where they live- Manchester United.

Quick Reply

Latest