The Student Room Group

Obama has finally confirmed it. It was never, ever about 'equality.'

"In fact, more women as a whole now graduate from college than men. This is a great accomplishment—not just for one sport or one college or even just for women but for America."

#equality

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/06/23/op-ed-president-obama-president-obama-reflects-impact-title-ix

In February 2013, he said this:

“One of the things that I really strongly believe in is that we need to have more girls interested in math, science, and engineering. We’ve got half the population that is way underrepresented in those fields and that means that we’ve got a whole bunch of talent…not being encouraged the way they need to.”

https://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/ostp/women
(edited 8 years ago)
This Obama guy sounds like he knows what he's on about...
"More women than men graduate from college" then "great accomplishment". When there was more men than women graduating it was a symptom if the patriarchy. You're right OP, it's never about equality instead it's about guilting us into giving them what's ours (what we've earned).
Original post by MrKmas508
"More women than men graduate from college" then "great accomplishment". When there was more men than women graduating it was a symptom if the patriarchy. You're right OP, it's never about equality instead it's about guilting us into giving them what's ours (what we've earned).

You two enjoy your mens club meeting. A nice girlfriend would probably sort you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leave Obama alone.
And has he ever considered that the sexes have different intellectual fortes? :sigh: :facepalm:
Original post by BookBird
Leave Obama alone.

Warum?
Seriously, y'all need to chill out. There does need to be a push for women in higher education - you forget women have only just been granted equal rights in the last century, men have had more rights and opportunities for thousands of years, that's why it is a great accomplishment for more women to graduate - for more men to graduate has been the norm for centuries (there are also more women in the world than men, so even a fifty fifty divide in STEM and graduation doesn't quite represent the population, but that's just being finicky)
Original post by Bornblue
You two enjoy your mens club meeting. A nice girlfriend would probably sort you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't disagree with you there.
Original post by Yekaterina1999
Seriously, y'all need to chill out. There does need to be a push for women in higher education - you forget women have only just been granted equal rights in the last century, men have had more rights and opportunities for thousands of years, that's why it is a great accomplishment for more women to graduate - for more men to graduate has been the norm for centuries (there are also more women in the world than men, so even a fifty fifty divide in STEM and graduation doesn't quite represent the population, but that's just being finicky)

3/10

So...to expand on your logic: all men are responsible for the actions of all other men, yes?

Does that mean all women are responsible for the actions of all other women? Does that mean you're responsible for the female child molester who raped an 11 year old boy recently?

I presume this also logically extends to all Muslims being responsible for the actions of all other Muslims, yes?
Original post by TheCitizenAct
So...to expand on your logic: all men are responsible for the actions of all other men, yes?

Does that mean all women are responsible for the actions of all other women? Does that mean you're responsible for the female child molester who raped an 11 year old boy recently?

I presume this also logically extends to all Muslims being responsible for the actions of all other Muslims, yes?

I wasn't meaning to imply that: all that I was trying to say was that women overtaking men in terms of graduation for one year out of hundreds was not some form of matriarchy or proof that women were being helped along by being given what was 'rightfully men's' (which is a ludicrous statement in itself) but instead the product of efforts of the government to try and balance out the gender gap in terms of high education. Yes, it didn't quite work as it should have been fifty fifty, but that should give even more reason for more women to be graduating in STEM subjects, which still have predominantly men graduating. Obama pushed the wrong thing, thinking that it would fix the problem.
By saying that other men have graduated before today's men I am not meaning to disregard today's men's achievements by linking them to their ancestors, nor am I trying to take away the things they have done over the past thousands of years - I am just saying they have traditionally had more support, and although this may not be the case for some men graduating college today, the majority you will find have not come across any sexism which will have affected which course they took.
I AM IN NO WAY MAKING MEN OF TODAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THINGS MEN HAVE DONE IN THE PAST. I was just observing how society still view men as more reliable or traditionally more academic, which is a flaw in society and something which the government need to overcome - and they haven't done it by raising female graduation numbers if people are still having this argument that it is unfair or the women must have been helped out and given things which were given solely for the reason that they are female, unless there is a real issue with a gender gap in that subject.

That's a wild and inaccurate statement. Men haven't all had the vote till the early 20th century, and I don't regard conscription as an "opportunity". Men haven't "all" been able to go university, and the least represented class at university is the white working class male. The same with pretty much all other male issues.

It's not great that women get a better education than men. What are you talking about? Grow up.
(edited 8 years ago)
The Democrats are going to put up Hilary Clinton to be President.

That means there will be 1 female President and 0 male Presidents.

It's not equality it's the feminazi agenda of taking over the world!

Angela Merkul and Hilary Clinton, the two most powerful people in the world will be women :afraid:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Angela Merkul and Hilary Clinton, the two most powerful people in the world will be women :afraid:

They wouldn't be the most powerful people in the world.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
The Democrats are going to put up Hilary Clinton to be President.

That means there will be 1 female President and 0 male Presidents.

It's not equality it's the feminazi agenda of taking over the world!

Yay for deliberately missing the point.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
"In fact, more women as a whole now graduate from college than men. This is a great accomplishment—not just for one sport or one college or even just for women but for America."

#equality

When someone says something like this there's usually two ways to interpret it:

1/ The fact that this is the case means that the forces - sexist and otherwise - that historically prevented women from becoming as educated as men have finally been overturned. Maybe even a little bit too much.

2/ That it's an intrinsically good thing for women to be more successful/happy/better paid than men.

While there are people who hide behind the first interpretation when they really do mean the second (like certain Guardian columnists I could name) I suspect Obama's meaning is better captured by the first analysis.
Who cares what Obama says. He's just at the head of a very long queue that wants to bring down the Man or the white male patriarchy as feminists call it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JuliusDS92
When someone says something like this there's usually two ways to interpret it:

1/ The fact that this is the case means that the forces - sexist and otherwise - that historically prevented women from becoming as educated as men have finally been overturned. Maybe even a little bit too much.

2/ That it's an intrinsically good thing for women to be more successful/happy/better paid than men.

While there are people who hide behind the first interpretation when they really do mean the second (like certain Guardian columnists I could name) I suspect Obama's meaning is better captured by the first analysis.

Either interpretation is sexist and the wrong approach for dealing with sexism. From what I can see, it seems plain that it has always been wrong to to frame sexism as a unilateral thing. Sexism has always had detrimental effects to both women and men.

To women (generally) it has historically robbed them of liberty and treat them as subservient. To men it has placed upon them enormous responsibility to the point where there are points in history where husbands were considered legally responsible for the actions of their wives. As some examples.

If we want to deal with sexism we need to deal with it in a coherent balanced and objective way. Otherwise your approach will be inherently sexist. It's the mistake that both modern feminists and MRAs are making, neither are giving a damn about the other.
This is a textbook example of a politician using strong emotive language to emphasise his successes. Let's not read too deeply into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending