The Student Room Group

Any point in applying?

Or am I just setting myself up for disappointment?

I didn't do as well as I expected in the summer and came out with 200 UCAS points rather than my predicted 300, I didn't get into my unis of choice and due to personal reasons I decided to not apply through clearing and to just reapply for 2016

This year I can't find a university that has requirements below 280 for my course... and that's just one university, everywhere else is at least 300...am I wasting my time by applying or is there any chance they'll look at my personal statement/work experience and perhaps offer me a place anyway?

I've had someone suggest that I apply anyway even though nowhere will accept me, just so that I can apply for clearing in 2016 when offers will be lower, but I'm not sure how that would work with student finance and all...
Original post by GeeSharpe
Or am I just setting myself up for disappointment?

I didn't do as well as I expected in the summer and came out with 200 UCAS points rather than my predicted 300, I didn't get into my unis of choice and due to personal reasons I decided to not apply through clearing and to just reapply for 2016

This year I can't find a university that has requirements below 280 for my course... and that's just one university, everywhere else is at least 300...am I wasting my time by applying or is there any chance they'll look at my personal statement/work experience and perhaps offer me a place anyway?

I've had someone suggest that I apply anyway even though nowhere will accept me, just so that I can apply for clearing in 2016 when offers will be lower, but I'm not sure how that would work with student finance and all...

Have you explored why the results were much lower than predicted? If not, it might be worth talking to school/college about your A-levels, and whether a university course is the best next step.

If it is, have you looked for foundation courses or access courses for your subject?

If you apply now, and do get five rejections (hopefully not :smile:), you could apply through Extra from 25 February, and then if you are unsuccessful there, through Clearing. The main reasons for applying now (you could start the process as late as early September 2016 - there was a post from someone on TSR in September this year who suddenly decided to apply to UCAS that late, and got a place) are that you can work on your personal statement to persuade yourself and the admissions tutors that your chosen subject is the one you want to pursue over the next three years, so that you do not have to rush it next summer, and because some courses will fill up after 15 January 2016.

Don't be disheartened by rejection, almost everyone will be rejected from one or other university, and from almost all of their job applications. You just need to keep moving forward and have plan B available.

For Student Finance, you can state on the UCAS form that you want to apply for finance (to link your finance to your UCAS application), and then make the separate application to the student loans company with any of your open choices from approximately March 2016. That way, if you do go to uni in September, the finance will be ready - you can just move the finance to the right course. No funds are made available until you actually register on a course in September 2016.

Where you need to be careful is accommodation. Some universities can accommodate late applicants, but if yours is not one of these, it would be sensible either to look carefully at local universities, and/or to get in touch with the accommodation office as soon as you have a place.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending