The Student Room Group

Can I go to university with no A-levels?

Hi,
I'm 21. I want to go to university but I have no A-levels. or rather, about a year and a half ago I did my A-levels, failed miserably and never retook them and went travelling to pursue different things instead.

However my perspective on what I want out of life has changed and I would really like to go to university to study either Environmental studies or Psychology.

I have the capability to do well in university, back when I was doing my A-levels I had the wrong mindset about studying and I had picked the wrong subjects which didn't really interest me.

In the last year and a half of travelling I've spent a lot of time working on organic farms as well as environmentally self-sustainable projects, would this experience help me towards getting into university?

I've also looked at the possibility of doing a 1 year intensive course to redo my A-levels, however I feel like this would be a waste of a year, maybe that's the price I have to pay?

any other advise on what my options are would be very much appreciated.
thanks,
redo your a-levels or do an access course. either will prepare you for university
I'd consider re-doing them, you may feel like it's a waste but if you feel strongly about going to uni then it probably won't be a waste as long as you're willing to do them. Access courses/intensive courses may be your best bet. If you don't do significantly well in them, foundation courses are always there once you've done a-levels too.
Reply 3
When you say "failed miserably", do you mean you got all Us, no grades at all? In that case, do what the others suggested.
If you actually have A-Levels, and got Cs or Ds, you could try to get onto a degree with a foundation year instead.
Reply 4
I don't have an A level to my name. I've only got 4 GCSE's (3 Grade C's and 1 Grade D) I never gave a toss about school. I still went to University anyway - slipped in via the back door with BTEC OND and HNC.
Yes. Here is a list of alternative routes into university. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3401311

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending