The Student Room Group

Let's Bring Aya to America

If you follow Humans of New York, you know that Brandon is currently telling the stories of 12 refugee families who have recently been offered asylum in America. He is also telling the story of a woman named Aya, who has suffered the consequences of both the Iraq war and the Syrian civil war, and was rejected asylum in the US.

He created a petition to convince President Obama to let Aya enter the United States, which you can sign here: https://www.change.org/p/president-barackobama-bring-aya-to-america-friendsofaya

If you want to know more about Aya's story, you can read the posts on her here: https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork

If you'd like to watch her interview with Fareed Zakaria, from CNN, you can watch that here: http://cnn.it/1QmVOX4

I did not create this thread to start a debate of any sort, in fact you don't have to reply at all, I just wanted to spread the petition.

Scroll to see replies

Signed :smile:
Already signed. Her story is heartbreaking
Wow that's horrible signed the petition , praying she makes it !
Shall we start a petition for every refugee who gets rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

We could
Why her, why just her? Hundreds of thousands are struggling to claim asylum, hundreds of thousands more have suffered far worse than her...
Reply 7
Original post by SgtHaytham
Why her, why just her? Hundreds of thousands are struggling to claim asylum, hundreds of thousands more have suffered far worse than her...

Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that she is not the only refugee in this situation, but sometimes people are at a loss of how to help refugees, and this is one way of doing so. It may not be much, but at least it's something. At least you're taking an initiative to potentially change one person's life, rather than doing nothing at all.
Original post by BookBird
I know that she is not the only refugee in this situation, but sometimes people are at a loss of how to help refugees, and this is one way of doing so. It may not be much, but at least it's something. At least you're taking an initiative to potentially change one person's life, rather than doing nothing at all.

Why was she rejected in the first place?

If you want to help immigrants, you have to help them all, not just one because her story is "heartbreaking".
Reply 9

If you want to help immigrants, you have to help them all, not just one because her story is "heartbreaking".

Would you like Brandon to start a petition for every refugee refused entry? I would love to help all immigrants, but that isn't practical, especially with the rise of Islamophobia after the Paris attacks. You can provide refugees with clothes and food, but how do you help them when they're not wanted by a country? I think spreading Brandon's posts is an effective way of showing people what these refugees go through, and that they're human, and tearing down the fear and anger that people have towards them is a way of helping them.

Why she was rejected? She mentions it in one of her posts, something about "security related reasons".

This.
Would you like Brandon to start a petition for every refugee refused entry? I would love to help all immigrants, but that isn't practical, especially with the rise of Islamophobia after the Paris attacks. You can provide refugees with clothes and food, but how do you help them when they're not wanted by a country? I think spreading Brandon's posts is an effective way of showing people what these refugees go through, and that they're human, and tearing down the fear and anger that people have towards them is a way of helping them.

Why she was rejected? She mentions it in one of her posts, something about "security related reasons".

What idea do you think this is giving to the thousands of a compatriots and companions attempting to seek refuge in the West?! "Why not us/me?"

Why is she being privileged and not the others? Is it because she's a woman? Is it because she's pretty? Is it because she makes good Tajines? why??
Reply 12
What idea do you think this is giving to the thousands of a compatriots and companions attempting to seek refuge in the West?! "Why not us/me?"

Why is she being privileged and not the others? Is it because she's a woman? Is it because she's pretty? Is it because she makes good Tajines? why??

Of course I know that! I don't know why her story is being recognised, just like I don't know why Brandon chose those specific 12 refugee families to interview. What I do know is that I would rather help someone than no one.
Of course I know that! I don't know why her story is being recognised, just like I don't know why Brandon chose those specific 12 refugee families to interview. What I do know is that I would rather help someone than no one.

By helping her, you're not helping the thousands of others, so, by extention, you're helping no one.

If you really want to help out, go to sites promising aid to families of refugees, not just one woman.
Nice emotional argument.
Reply 15
By helping her, you're not helping the thousands of others, so, by extention, you're helping no one.

If you really want to help out, go to sites promising aid to families of refugees, not just one woman.

How do you know? I can donate money to provide food, water, etc for refugees any day of the week. Do I think that is enough? Not at all. This petition isn't just a means of helping her and her family get to the US, it's a wake-up call for Obama, for Islamophobes, for whoever decides who gets entry to the US, that these people that they are rejecting have a story. They're not just a name on a page or potential "threats". Aya's story is meant to act as an example of the thousands of other refugee stories, to emphasise that people who have been through similar or worse than her, who are genuinely bloody good people, are still being turned away, and the question to ask is why.

If you don't agree with this petition, then you don't have to sign it. x
I think she should got to Israel. I hear the are VERY progressive and love immigrants.
Reply 17

In other words, Uncle Sam thinks she may be a security risk. In which case, they made the right decision by keeping her out.
If you follow Humans of New York, you know that Brandon is currently telling the stories of 12 refugee families who have recently been offered asylum in America. He is also telling the story of a woman named Aya, who has suffered the consequences of both the Iraq war and the Syrian civil war, and was rejected asylum in the US.

He created a petition to convince President Obama to let Aya enter the United States, which you can sign here: https://www.change.org/p/president-barackobama-bring-aya-to-america-friendsofaya

If you want to know more about Aya's story, you can read the posts on her here: https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork

If you'd like to watch her interview with Fareed Zakaria, from CNN, you can watch that here: http://cnn.it/1QmVOX4

I did not create this thread to start a debate of any sort, in fact you don't have to reply at all, I just wanted to spread the petition.

What gives her a right over everyone else. There are 100s of millions not even in a position to take a photo like that.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Wow that's horrible signed the petition , praying she makes it !

Original post by Student403
Signed :smile:

Original post by teenhorrorstory
Already signed. Her story is heartbreaking

It says she was rejected because she was a security risk. They made the right decision, we can not just let security and terror threats into our countries. It is too risky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending