The Student Room Group

Points on licience = Criminal Record?

Do points on your driving licince. e.g. 3 points for speeding (criminal offence). Mean that you have a criminal record?
Reply 1
Strictly yes.

In effect though, not really.
Reply 2
I would have thought that your record gets swiped when your points get wiped though, right?
Reply 3
Lib North
Strictly yes.

In effect though, not really.

Agreed.
You have to declare it on some things under motoring convictions - some jobs ask for it

But i wouldnt put it under general criminal convictions ON AN APP FORM.
Reply 5
Most applications ask you to declare unspent convictions for anything other than minor motoring offences.
Reply 6
No you do NOT have a criminal reccord. Your driving licence and criminal record are two completely separate things which is why on insurance forms they ask you about your driving history and any criminal activity.
Yes, there are occasions where the two may cross over eg if you are caught drink driving, your licence is endorsed and you get a criminal reccord. However, for say doing 36 in a 30 you just get an SP30 put on your licence and nothing added to any criminal reccord you may or may not have.
Reply 7
is any offence other than drink driving a criminal offence?
Reply 8
driving without insurance, Mental speeding (180 down the M6 as an example), dangerous driving, using a vehicle as a deadly weapon.... yeah theres lots.

An SP30 (exceeding the speed limit on a public road) will not get you a criminal reccord though.
Reply 9
Actually... on the isle of man you can be charged with "furious driving" ... i'd LOVE to have that on my licence! :biggrin:
Like JC has said, there things you will get points on your licence for which don't count as a criminal record, and things that do. So it depends what the points are for as to if they are a criminal record or not. Most application forms etc ask about a criminal record but don't include 'minor motoring offences'. Sometimes though, esp if you need a driving licence for the job they specify 'clean' driving licence, or ask about any points etc on your licence.

Also, I can't remember exactly, but isn't there a certain about of time (3 years?) that the points actually 'count' for. But they actually stay on your licence for longer (5 years?), so they are still visable, but don't actually count. If you then want them actually removing from your licence you have to pay to get a new bit without them on. Or am I making all that up?
Cathie. The points are endorsed on your licence for 3 years, and are visible for 4. After that, you can send your licence back to have them removed (At your expense of course!).
^^ I thought it was something like that. It just confused me when I heard it cos I had always thought that they were only 'on' your licence for three years, is seemed strange then visible for longer. But anyway, I guess provided I don't get any points it won't matter :smile:
interesting thread, because i have never thought about it in that way, although dont you get 'driving convictions', which are different to criminal conviction? Im confused.
Reply 14
What is a conviction and when does it become ‘spent’?

You will have a conviction if you have pleaded guilty to a criminal offence or if you have been found guilty of an offence.

The following are not criminal convictions:

Simple caution
Final warning
Reprimand
ASBOs (Antisocial Behaviour Order)
Fixed penalty notices e.g. speed camera fines, littering, petty shoplifting
Points on your driving licence

Although these are not convictions, they will be on your criminal record that is stored on police computers.

For further details and to know when it become 'Spent', please click on this link; http://goo.gl/L8axjU
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by JC.
Actually... on the isle of man you can be charged with "furious driving" ... i'd LOVE to have that on my licence! :biggrin:

You can still be charged with furious driving in England and Wales, and NI too. Full title of the offence is "wanton or furious driving" and is still in force back from the 1860s.

The key difference between it and Dangerous/Careless driving is that it applies to ALL land in England and Wales whereas Road Traffic Act only applies to public places. It can also be used against cyclists who cause death/injury too, as well as horse riders.

Quick Reply

Latest