The Student Room Group

What qualifications do you need to mark university level papers?

There is a lecturer on my course who has not completed a degree in the subject I am studying, yet she still marks the papers and gives out official grades. According to some other students I've spoken to, this is supposedly illegal - but I can't find anything about it on Google, so I wondered if anyone on here might know?
Reply 1
Original post by ashgallant
There is a lecturer on my course who has not completed a degree in the subject I am studying, yet she still marks the papers and gives out official grades. According to some other students I've spoken to, this is supposedly illegal - but I can't find anything about it on Google, so I wondered if anyone on here might know?

There's nothing illegal about it and there's no set qualification necessary for marking at uni. As a lecturer, this person will have a level of subject knowledge which is acceptable to your university. Every uni can set its own processes. Plenty of staff mark coursework in topics outside their immediate degree subject.

There is a system of double marking to ensure that errors are corrected before marks are finalised. At my uni, the top and bottom five percent of papers were automatically second marked, with a random ten percent of papers from the remaining band of marks. In addition, marks contributing to your final degree grade will be externally moderated by an academic outside your own uni, and marks will be ratified by your uni's internal Exam Board. There are plenty of safeguards.

If you still have concerns about the way that marking is handled where you are, you should raise these via your Student Union. They will identify any irregularities and follow them up with the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending