The Student Room Group

Will I hate uni?

I'm not actually a grumpy or antisocial person but I don't like the student stereotype at all and it's worrying me a bit! :biggrin:
I'm very health conscious and take a lot of care with my diet and exercise, and am very into my healthy cooking, nutrition etc... I don't drink and like to go to bed early and wake up early... I'm a super-budgeter and don't like spending money... I absolutely hate mess and like being tidy... I also like to be very organised...:redface:
The student image is a bit of a concern and I hope people aren't really like that...? I really put a lot of effort into keeping up my lifestyle and so I'm a bit worried.
Do you mean the ever increasing and nauseating lad culture?
If you feel like going to bed early and avoid drinking that's great. Though, you will have to tolerate that you're flat mates will probably drink, make flat parties and go to bed late. But keep your standards and don't let anyone else tell you that you're boring etc. You can still enjoy university. I don't go out drinking and am feeling content at uni.
Reply 3
Original post by a-98
I'm not actually a grumpy or antisocial person but I don't like the student stereotype at all and it's worrying me a bit! :biggrin:
I'm very health conscious and take a lot of care with my diet and exercise, and am very into my healthy cooking, nutrition etc... I don't drink and like to go to bed early and wake up early... I'm a super-budgeter and don't like spending money... I absolutely hate mess and like being tidy... I also like to be very organised...:redface:
The student image is a bit of a concern and I hope people aren't really like that...? I really put a lot of effort into keeping up my lifestyle and so I'm a bit worried.

I'm a bit like you (apart from the bit about being healthy). I've never felt like the student stereotype, assuming you mean the one about people who place a burden on society with their constant partying, is a problem. I know there will be people like me at university. Not everyone is the same. Of course, there will be different percentages of "stereotypical" students at different universities.

What exactly are you worried about? Why would you not be able to continue your lifestyle if there are some people nearby who like alcohol too much?
Reply 4
Sorry, I think my message sounds a bit obnoxious!! :redface: But it's just that... as much as I can get on with people like that, and it's all good fun, I don't want to feel like people would exclude me/not be interested in me if I didn't go along with doing things a certain way? :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a-98

There are thousands of people at university with a variety of different interests etc. At my uni there are healthy eating clubs etc where you can meet people with very similar interests.

if you are going into halls, Im sure there will be people who live a different lifestyle than you, but that doesn't mean that you wont get along with them. I found in 1st year that people were very accepting of one another - much more than at school.

hope this helps !:smile:
Original post by a-98

If you're going to live in halls then I must warn you that your flatmates will most likely be anything but clean. I also like keeping things tidy and sanitary, and our kitchen makes me want to cry every time I walk into it. This is the only aspect you should be worried about, everything else you shouldn't have an issue with maintaining! x
Reply 7
If you're living in a student accommodation, with what you told us about yourself, I think you will.
I live in student accommodation and my flatmates don't party and they're pretty clean, but I guess I just got lucky. When booking my accommodation, it allows you to say whether you're a clean person or not, whether you like to play music or not, what age you are, etc, and I made sure to only pick people that were clean like me and closer to my age (23 when I moved in) rather than younger folk. I dunno if every place is like that though, but something to keep in mind.

Tbh, I like partying myself sometimes, but I will either have quiet drinks in my bedroom with my boyfriend, or just go to clubs, bars and other people's places to party. So don't worry, some of us can be pretty respectable flatmates :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a-98

I halls would not say this but have you considerd living at home? Or the privet sector?
Not at all, there's diversity everywhere. As long as you don't immediately shut someone out because they drink, go out, are messy (not dirty though) then you''ll be fine. Live and let live.
I think your lifestyle is really admirable. I never drink or go out during the semester and I always study. I feel like the "student image" these days is strongly correlated to drinking alcohol and just eating unhealthy but honestly just do you! Who cares about other people's judgment. Their judgment only reflects on themselves not you. I think there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with the lifestyle you have adopted. Everyone lives the life they want to in the circumstances they have. I say continue doing you:clap2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending