The Student Room Group

Choices..

OK, I want to put sussex as my firm, and have decided thats where i want to go. I already have my grades (and slightly missed the requirements by one grade) and so am unsure if i will get in.
I have an unconditional offer from another university (that i don't particularly want to go to), but think i should maybe put it down as my insurance just incase.
Oh, and the course I applied for is available on extra, so does that mean its undersubscribed at this moment in time?

Any advice is greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Well it depends on what course you have chosen at sussex and whether there were lots of succesful applicants for that course so if there is a lot that met the requirement then you may not get in.

If you really dont want to go to the 2nd UNI then dont put it down as long as you are prepared to go into clearing or possibly a gap year if you dont get what you want.

IF the course is in extra it just means that they have some places that they are still considering on and they want more people to apply so they can choose possibly better students but it could mean that there are a fair number of places left.
As long as the course isn't really competitive, which it doesn't sound like it is if it's in Extra, most unis are lenient if you only miss the offer by a grade. Of course, there are no guarantees, but I don't think it'd be worth having the other uni as an insurance if you don't really want to go there. At least if you had to go into Clearing, you could apply to a uni you like.
Reply 3
well i'm applying for Philosophy and English.. is that a course that is particularly competitive?
I emailed the admissions tutor about 2 weeks ago and she said they never accepted people who missed the grades last year, but that may not neccessarily be the case this year..
thanks for all the advice so far x
Reply 4
keep you uncoditional as your 2nd if you only want to go there as a last choice if you dont get your offer they may let you in
maddox19
well i'm applying for Philosophy and English.. is that a course that is particularly competitive?

Straight English is, but I'm not sure about joint with philosophy.

Latest

Trending

Trending