The Student Room Group

Asexuality petition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katty3
The Equality Act is all about preventing discrimination.

Heterosexual people don't face discrimination because they are the majority. People don't tend to discriminate against what is considered to be the norm.

Currently, I could be fired if my employer knew that I was asexual because there is no law against it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never understood this. How is a law going to change anything???

Employers can fire anyone they want, at any moment. Making a law against doing so for a certain reason doesn't stop people doing it, it just stops people saying that's the reason they did it. If I own a company, I can fire/ hire whoever on earth I want, since I'm paying them.

Stupid laws like these will create so many stupid cases were someone with a really specific obscure gender/ sexuality will be fired, and they'll claim it was because of this specific gender/ sexuality, then get tons of compensation. It's just too many rules, all these pointless ones too.
Reply 21
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I've never understood this. How is a law going to change anything???

Employers can fire anyone they want, at any moment. Making a law against doing so for a certain reason doesn't stop people doing it, it just stops people saying that's the reason they did it. If I own a company, I can fire/ hire whoever on earth I want, since I'm paying them.

Stupid laws like these will create so many stupid cases were someone with a really specific obscure gender/ sexuality will be fired, and they'll claim it was because of this specific gender/ sexuality, then get tons of compensation. It's just too many rules, all these pointless ones too.

Because it says that A cannot be treated less favourably than B due to A being gay. It's not just about employment. It covers everything from businesses to schools to other organisations.

You do need actual evidence. It changes attitudes as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Because it says that A cannot be treated less favourably than B due to A being gay. It's not just about employment. It covers everything from businesses to schools to other organisations.

You do need actual evidence. It changes attitudes as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well exactly. If said person wanted B over A because A was gay, they can do that and just make up and alternative reason. A law saying you can't judge people based off of sexuality will physically change nothing. I guess it could change attitudes, but only to making those who now have more laws just for them feeling better.

Can't wait for the petitions that says you're not allowed to discriminate based off of weight, even if you're a sport coach or something. We need less laws tbh, freedom is slowly dying away.
wtffff that person is a total nutcase

although to be honest, I don't know much about asexuality; I don't really understand what it is, or what it means to be asexual or anything

I'm not hating or anything, I just honestly don't understand it (invitation for people to *calmly* enlighten if you want to do so)
Reply 24
Original post by Milzime

although to be honest, I don't know much about asexuality; I don't really understand what it is, or what it means to be asexual or anything

I'm not hating or anything, I just honestly don't understand it (invitation for people to *calmly* enlighten if you want to do so)

Asexuality means the lack of sexual attraction. This is different to a romantic orientation which means to which gender(s) an individual is romantically attracted.

An asexual person doesn't feel sexual attraction to anyone at any time.

This does not necessarily equal sex repulsion although many asexual people are sex repulsed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I have heard that the Ambidextrous Masturbation Community (AMC) are going to start a petition because they feel that the current legislation doesn't protect them enough from heinous attacks and discrimination.
Original post by Milzime

As Katty3 has already said; it just means we do not experience sexual attraction towards people. We can find them physically attractive (or at least I can) in the same way as you would admire a beautiful art painting or a cute puppy.

Some asexuals can feel romantically towards another person, another can not. Some asexuals have sexual urges even and do self service; but again, the common factor is that they do not desire sex with another person

I hope this helps
Signed.
Original post by Katty3
As some of you may be aware, the Equality Act 2010 protects people who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender from experiencing discrimination due to their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Asexuality is not mentioned in this legislation. This means that people like me who don't experience sexual attraction to anyone at any time are not protected.

This is quite clearly utterly bonkers. Please sign this petition in order to get the government to amend the legislation so that asexuality is covered by the Equality Act.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/115857

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't we also include blondesexual? It's a new sexuality I just made up where you're only attracted to blonde people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Underscore__
Why don't we also include blondesexual? It's a new sexuality I just made up where you're only attracted to blonde people

Posted from TSR Mobile

*sigh* Really?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not even a thing! Just means you don't want to have sex. Why does everything need a label? My grandparents generation had it so much easier because no one wanted to be a special snowflake. I'm sorry but it's true, I don't run around telling everyone I'm straight and that I need special protection so why does everyone else!? If I had a gay employer and he fired me because I was straight, Would that law cover me? Probably not. Would I care? No. I'd just get another job and move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by AdorableDrip
It's not even a thing! Just means you don't want to have sex. Why does everything need a label? My grandparents generation had it so much easier because no one wanted to be a special snowflake. I'm sorry but it's true, I don't run around telling everyone I'm straight and that I need special protection so why does everyone else!? If I had a gay employer and he fired me because I was straight, Would that law cover me? Probably not. Would I care? No. I'd just get another job and move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a real thing. It's not about being a special snowflake. It's about having a word to describe your feelings.

Asexual people feel no sexual attraction. We are in a minority. We make up between one and six per cent of the population.

We aren't asking for much, just to not be discriminated against on the basis of our sexuality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3

You can't just keep adding protected characteristics. If cases of discrimination against asexuals kept coming up then perhaps it would be included but clearly it's not a pressing issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Underscore__
You can't just keep adding protected characteristics. If cases of discrimination against asexuals kept coming up then perhaps it would be included but clearly it's not a pressing issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a matter of principle. We are a minority sexual orientation and we could potentially face discrimination against us because of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, it really wouldn't be.

There is nothing illegal about disliking a particular group. There is nothing illegal about saying that you dislike a particular group. Saying that you dislike a particular group is not in any way discriminating against that group.

If the person in question was hiring for a job and refused to hire somebody on the grounds of their homosexuality then that would be illegal and discriminatory, but I think you'll find that's sure as **** not the same as merely talking about your views on homosexuality.
Original post by Katty3
It is wrong because we aren't immature or prudish. We merely don't find anyone sexually attractive. I don't call heterosexual acts disgusting. I don't want to have sex. It's fine if other people do, but I don't.

No it isn't OK to call gay sex disgusting.

It is very hurtful to say that you hate a certain sexuality. Using acephobic language is wrong. It is like saying that you hate all people of a certain race.

It is blatantly offensive to say that you hate asexual people. It serves no purpose other than to be horrible to a certain group of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not?

You don't seem to understand that people are allowed to hold whatever opinions they like, there is nothing illegal about having an opinion no matter how offensive it may be. Of course it's wrong if people make discriminatory decisions based on those opinions, but there is nothing at all wrong with holding those opinions.

You seem to think that you have the right to stop people from offending you, which is bull****. The joys of free speech, we can say what the **** we like, we can offend who the **** we like, and if somebody says something that you find offensive the correct response is to ignore it, to move on, to not let it bother you, it is not to try and stop them saying it in the first place.
Original post by Katty3
We aren't asking for much, just to not be discriminated against on the basis of our sexuality.

How about you show some proof that it happens then.

Show me one example of a man or woman being passed over for a job, or a promotion, or being fired, purely because they were asexual. If it happens as much as you say it does then surely it should be easy.
Signed
Reply 39
Original post by mackemforever
How about you show some proof that it happens then.

Show me one example of a man or woman being passed over for a job, or a promotion, or being fired, purely because they were asexual. If it happens as much as you say it does then surely it should be easy.

Explain to me why it should be possible to discriminate against asexual people on the basis of our sexuality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending