The Student Room Group

So ****ing sleep deprived!!!

I AM SICK TO THE ****ING DEATH OF THIS ****!

EVERY ****ING NIGHT there's just SOMETHING that either keeps me awake or wakes me at the crack of ****ing dawn and PERSISTS for HOURS.

I cannot EXPLAIN how sleep deprived I am at the moment and EVERY ****ING NIGHT THERE'S JUST SOMETHING. I thought after returning home from uni things would be better since I live in the country-side NOPE. Be it birds, drunks, construction, SOMETHING is going to keep me awake and PERSIST FOR MOTHER ****ING HOURS!!!

When I got home, it's just a whole NEW list of things to keep me awake for hours, such as our ****ing CAT who starts meowing at the top of her lungs at 7:30am and won't ****ING SHUT UP!

And now YET AGAIN, I've only managed to get 5 hours of sleep thanks to the MOTHER ****ING NEIGHBOURS doing ****ing construction work on something. Woken at 7:50am by THUNK THUNK THUNK SAW SAW SAW, 8:30, 9:00, 9:30am it's STILL ****ING GOING RIGHT NOW!!!

If things carry on like this, I am going to get ill, ME or something. I was REALLY hoping for a full night's sleep, but I haven't had one since the start of the month when my sleep schedule got ****ed over when an accident sent me to the hospital. Every night since I've not been able to go to bed any earlier than like 3am, then at the crack of dawn, SOMETHING has to kick up and persist for ****ING HOURS, just to prevent me from getting back to sleep!

And no, I have no earplugs available, and I can't even sleep with those in! And to top it off, I have ****ing EXAMS in less than a month! I am just so ****ing fed up of this happening EVERY NIGHT. I am NEVER going to catch up on sleep because tomorrow it will be the church bells or the neighbour's ****ing dog or SOMETHING. The world will find SOME way to further worsen my state, which is now worsening night by night!!!!

If you read this entire rant, congratulations. If you find this funny then **** you. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please, tell me what to do! I am really stuck here!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sleep over with a friend?
Go and buy some earplugs?
Original post by simbasdragon
Go and buy some earplugs?

Clearly you didn't read all of it. I can't SLEEP with earplugs in!

And sometimes even THEY can't block out the noise. One morning the seagulls were so loud they penetrated them completely.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
what about earphones/ headphones
It sounds like you're already stressed, which won't help your sleep whatsoever as your brain will be on the look out for those noises.

Either get some ear plugs, or another option might be to go and see a doc who can refer you on to somebody to deal with your stress.
Original post by Roving Fish
It sounds like you're already stressed, which won't help your sleep whatsoever as your brain will be on the look out for those noises.

Either get some ear plugs, or another option might be to go and see a doc who can refer you on to somebody to deal with your stress.

I seriously cannot sleep with earplugs in. These noises aren't just something that happens, no no they persist for hours preventing any chance of falling back to sleep :frown:
Herbal sleeping pills?
Herbal sleeping pills?

Can recommend some that my sister got me from Holland & Barrett called Melissa Dream. They're like £14 but so worth it.

Original post by Minecraft27
I seriously cannot sleep with earplugs in. These noises aren't just something that happens, no no they persist for hours preventing any chance of falling back to sleep :frown:

Like I said, it sounds like you're stressed for one reason or another which is further amplifying any sounds as your brain is still in light sleep (REM).
Herbal sleeping pills?

Those could work I guess, but my issue isn't going to sleep, it's that I'm being woken up early by noises that persist for hours. And some of these noises are so loud and grating that i think it would probably penetrate these.
Start going to sleep earlier and then when you're woken up early, you'll still have got enough sleep.
Original post by Roving Fish
Can recommend some that my sister got me from Holland & Barrett called Melissa Dream. They're like £14 but so worth it.

Like I said, it sounds like you're stressed for one reason or another which is further amplifying any sounds as your brain is still in light sleep (REM).

cool name, I wonder how they came up with it?
Original post by robinfr
cool name, I wonder how they came up with it?

To appeal to poncey middle class ladies. I am all of which.
Why not get sleep tablets

And now YET AGAIN, I've only managed to get 5 hours of sleep thanks to the MOTHER ****ING NEIGHBOURS doing ****ing construction work on something. Woken at 7:50am by THUNK THUNK THUNK SAW SAW SAW, 8:30, 9:00, 9:30am it's STILL ****ING GOING RIGHT NOW!!!

I am sympathetic but my maths suggest that 7:50 am with 5 hours sleep means you went to bed at nearly 3 in the morning. How about going to bed earlier?
Original post by Sparster
I am sympathetic but my maths suggest that 7:50 am with 5 hours sleep means you went to bed at nearly 3 in the morning. How about going to bed earlier?

My body clock is janked, that's why. At the beginning of the month, for some reason, there was a night where I didnt fall asleep till almost 6am. The next night, I was looking for an early night, but I had an accident that sent me to the hospital. I ended up having another 6am night that night. Since then my body clock has been wrecked.
Hello,

Have you considered to take some natural sleeping pills until your sleep becomes...well, real?!
No side effects and you can at least, find a normal balance :wink:
As Sparster said, going to bed earlier might help - if you're being woken at 7.30, but you've gone to bed at 10.30/11pm, you won't feel as tired, versus going at 3am and then being woken. Unfortunately the world starts to become particularly active from about 7am onwards, so trying to catch up on sleep into the late morning can be tricky. It can be hard to break out of the routine of going to bed late, but make yourself do it for a few nights - no phone/laptop in the room, read a book for a bit before sleeping, etc. And get up at a reasonable time in the morning, even if you haven't slept brilliantly, and then go to bed early again, your body will start to adjust.

I know you said you don't like earplugs, but have you tried the silicone ones? I hate foam earplugs and find them useless for blocking out noise, plus they always move or fall out. The silicone ones are fantastic, they don't go in your ear - rather, they block the entrance to it, and you can seal them really tight by pressing the edges against your outer ear. I've been using them for about two years now - last year I lived in a house on a very busy street, and they blocked out the traffic noise brilliantly, while this year we have very noisy neighbours, and they also work for that. I get mine from Boots. They're reusable, and I actually find that I can break one plug into two, and that's enough for both ears - maybe I just have small ears though? Try them and see, they're not nearly as annoying as the foam ones!
Original post by gutenberg
As Sparster said, going to bed earlier might help - if you're being woken at 7.30, but you've gone to bed at 10.30/11pm, you won't feel as tired, versus going at 3am and then being woken. Unfortunately the world starts to become particularly active from about 7am onwards, so trying to catch up on sleep into the late morning can be tricky. It can be hard to break out of the routine of going to bed late, but make yourself do it for a few nights - no phone/laptop in the room, read a book for a bit before sleeping, etc. And get up at a reasonable time in the morning, even if you haven't slept brilliantly, and then go to bed early again, your body will start to adjust.

I know you said you don't like earplugs, but have you tried the silicone ones? I hate foam earplugs and find them useless for blocking out noise, plus they always move or fall out. The silicone ones are fantastic, they don't go in your ear - rather, they block the entrance to it, and you can seal them really tight by pressing the edges against your outer ear. I've been using them for about two years now - last year I lived in a house on a very busy street, and they blocked out the traffic noise brilliantly, while this year we have very noisy neighbours, and they also work for that. I get mine from Boots. They're reusable, and I actually find that I can break one plug into two, and that's enough for both ears - maybe I just have small ears though? Try them and see, they're not nearly as annoying as the foam ones!

Man 11:30pm is so early... I think this entire year I've only gone to bed before 12 on about two occasions.
Man 11:30pm is so early... I think this entire year I've only gone to bed before 12 on about two occasions.

Which might help explain why you're so tired, and have a whacked-out sleeping pattern :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending