The Student Room Group

Applying for physics in the Netherlands- there's no grade requirements.

Hi guys,

I'm a first year AS student, studying Mathematics, Physics, English literature and Biology. At the end of my A-levels i'll be looking to university abroad in the Netherlands, and I'm looking at Groningen and Leiden mainly (Speaking Dutch is not an issue for Leiden.)

I'm looking towards AAA/AAB as grades, but I'm not sure as to what the requirements for uni there are, will AAB suffice, or on a bad sitting ABB? I'm just looking for advice, and I'm not sure if this should be in UCAS/applications but I decided to post it here. AAA/AAB is enough for physics in a few decent places in the UK so is it likely Groningen would would take me on the back of those results?

Cheers!
Reply 1
Have you actually spoken to anyone at the university or asked them what they want from applicants?
Reply 2
I have a friend applying for Leiden, for some sort of politics course, he reckons he will be made a very low offer, something like 3C's. It may well vary depending on the course and the uni and your application. I would also recommend speaking to someone at the universities.
Hello from the University of Groningen! I will gladly try and answer your question. First of all, not speaking Dutch doesn't matter for our university, either. The course and its materials are entirely in English, and no Dutch knowledge is required to live or study in the city.

With regards to admission requirements, we don't need you to have any specific grades; the ones you mention would be great though! The basic requirement that we do have, is that you should have at least 3 A-levels with grade A-C, of which 2 should be mathematics and physics. The admissions board will always look at your application individually and make a decision based on that, but this is a good rule of thumb. More information on the physics application procedure and requirements can be found online on our website. I hope that helps; if you have any additional questions reach us on [email protected]!

Best wishes,
Samantha
Indeed, across all universities in The Netherlands three A-levels with grades of C or higher meet general admission requirements for bachelor's programmes suggested by the Dutch government. Students are admissible, but must pass a requisite number of courses (defined per programme) in order to be allowed to continue - this is called Binding Study Advice.

Some programmes are further selective. This means some programmes will have course requirements, additional documentation or higher grades required. As Samantha said in her post from Groningen about course requirements, the same applies to Leiden - we would want to see two of your A-levels in Math and Physics in order to be considered for admission to the Bachelors in Physics. Your grades look like you would be an excellent candidate.

While we do have a number of English- taught bachelor's programmes at Leiden University, the Bachelor of Science in Physics at Leiden University is taught in Dutch, so you will also need to show proficiency in the Dutch language as part of your application.

You can find more info here: http://www.studereninleiden.nl/studies/info/natuurkunde/

I'm also happy to help - [email protected]

Best regards,
Carolyn
Original post by SnorlaxForQueen
Hi guys,

I'm a first year AS student, studying Mathematics, Physics, English literature and Biology. At the end of my A-levels i'll be looking to university abroad in the Netherlands, and I'm looking at Groningen and Leiden mainly (Speaking Dutch is not an issue for Leiden.)

I'm looking towards AAA/AAB as grades, but I'm not sure as to what the requirements for uni there are, will AAB suffice, or on a bad sitting ABB? I'm just looking for advice, and I'm not sure if this should be in UCAS/applications but I decided to post it here. AAA/AAB is enough for physics in a few decent places in the UK so is it likely Groningen would would take me on the back of those results?

Cheers!

Original post by University of Groningen
Hello from the University of Groningen! I will gladly try and answer your question. First of all, not speaking Dutch doesn't matter for our university, either. The course and its materials are entirely in English, and no Dutch knowledge is required to live or study in the city.

With regards to admission requirements, we don't need you to have any specific grades; the ones you mention would be great though! The basic requirement that we do have, is that you should have at least 3 A-levels with grade A-C, of which 2 should be mathematics and physics. The admissions board will always look at your application individually and make a decision based on that, but this is a good rule of thumb. More information on the physics application procedure and requirements can be found online on our website. I hope that helps; if you have any additional questions reach us on [email protected]!

Best wishes,
Samantha

Original post by Leiden University
Indeed, across all universities in The Netherlands three A-levels with grades of C or higher meet general admission requirements for bachelor's programmes suggested by the Dutch government. Students are admissible, but must pass a requisite number of courses (defined per programme) in order to be allowed to continue - this is called Binding Study Advice.

Some programmes are further selective. This means some programmes will have course requirements, additional documentation or higher grades required. As Samantha said in her post from Groningen about course requirements, the same applies to Leiden - we would want to see two of your A-levels in Math and Physics in order to be considered for admission to the Bachelors in Physics. Your grades look like you would be an excellent candidate.

While we do have a number of English- taught bachelor's programmes at Leiden University, the Bachelor of Science in Physics at Leiden University is taught in Dutch, so you will also need to show proficiency in the Dutch language as part of your application.

You can find more info here: http://www.studereninleiden.nl/studies/info/natuurkunde/

I'm also happy to help - [email protected]

Best regards,
Carolyn

Original post by Alexion
Have you actually spoken to anyone at the university or asked them what they want from applicants?

Original post by Alfpalf
I have a friend applying for Leiden, for some sort of politics course, he reckons he will be made a very low offer, something like 3C's. It may well vary depending on the course and the uni and your application. I would also recommend speaking to someone at the universities.

Hi Snorlax,

Just checking you've seen the replies to this?
Good luck! :smile:
Jack

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending