The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Game Art Design 2016

So I'm pretty that there's not a thread for game art! I'm a first year currently on the course, we had one last year and it was really useful. So If you have any questions about the course if you're applying or thinking of applying just have a chat in here and I can answer some. :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there!
I'm considering applying for this course because it looks really fine. My question is: is it worth to study in there? What does it looks like? Of couse I saw "what you'll learn here" thingie, but every uni looks great and shows off with useful stuff...is games art at DMU really as good as it looks? I'd be thankful if you could tell me about classes and so on from your own perspective. You can pm me if you want : D
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
hey! so i am a first year on the course and honestly its so much better than i thought it would be! It focuses quite heavily on the 3d side and they do really work to push us which is stressful at times but also means we are producing great things! The classes are normally in groups of about 15 and are 90- 180 minutes long normally which means you get loads of contact time which is really great. The tutors are all really helpful and chilled and it is a super friendly course where everyone just helps everyone. Really you would be coming on this course to create a portfolio as in my opinion a degree in this industry isnt worth that much but the contacts and portfolio makes it worth it. But yeah if its concept art and 2d art you are into i do think there are better places to do it but for 3d it is pretty good :smile: if you have any questions pm me :smile:
Reply 3
Hi this ive applied for the games art course at dmu but a bit worried about my portfolio here is what I have at the moment https://www.flickr.com/gp/138619619@N04/19GTk7 any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Reply 4
I've also applied to do the Game Art Design for Sep 2016 entry! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Alfie_
So I'm pretty that there's not a thread for game art! I'm a first year currently on the course, we had one last year and it was really useful. So If you have any questions about the course if you're applying or thinking of applying just have a chat in here and I can answer some. :smile:

What's the first few weeks like? What projects/tasks are you given? Any team-building exercises at the beginning?
Original post by ThreeCal
Hi this ive applied for the games art course at dmu but a bit worried about my portfolio here is what I have at the moment https://www.flickr.com/gp/138619619@N04/19GTk7 any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Hey I just had a look and it looks fab! super good work! Only thing I would say is download 3DS max 2016 and have a go at making something! But that's purely something extra totally not essential! You have a good mix of traditional and digital :smile:
Original post by VanessaLDS
What's the first few weeks like? What projects/tasks are you given? Any team-building exercises at the beginning?

Hi! First few weeks were crazy for me. We were given sorta basic tasks to get us used to the software which then built up to more complex things but it was quite a quick process and they pushed us pretty hard! I think we started with a table and chairs and then within 7 weeks we were making a whole diorama.

We did do a few team building things which mainly involved throwing balls of wool at each other and making a human knot which was horrifically awkward but a lot of fun in the end. However the course has a pretty strong community spirit and so within the first week two welcome parties were held for us by the second and third years and they still regularly are so it was pretty easy to get to know people especially as you will spend all day with them nearly every day. Plus everyone is very keen to have a friendly atmosphere so there is lots of older years coming and helping when you are stuck etc.
Reply 8
Original post by honor.dunham
Hi! First few weeks were crazy for me. We were given sorta basic tasks to get us used to the software which then built up to more complex things but it was quite a quick process and they pushed us pretty hard! I think we started with a table and chairs and then within 7 weeks we were making a whole diorama.

We did do a few team building things which mainly involved throwing balls of wool at each other and making a human knot which was horrifically awkward but a lot of fun in the end. However the course has a pretty strong community spirit and so within the first week two welcome parties were held for us by the second and third years and they still regularly are so it was pretty easy to get to know people especially as you will spend all day with them nearly every day. Plus everyone is very keen to have a friendly atmosphere so there is lots of older years coming and helping when you are stuck etc.

Thank you for the detailed answer. That sounds really exciting! :biggrin: Hard but exciting. It's great to hear that everyone gets along well. Are the societies good? Many events?

I do have a question of the portfolios, how did you do your digital & physical portfolio for when you applied? I'm having a hard time picking pieces of work. I've looked at the portfolio guidance they have on the website but still not sure.
Reply 9
I just received an offer, and DMU is my no1 choice, so looks like I'll be joining in September :smile: I have a friend on year one, so I know a bit about the course already, but I'm more interested in getting talking with people who I'll be in class with. Anyone else joining, holler at me!

By the by, I made a facebook group for the September 2016 joiners to get to know one another; https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688235314759768/ :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by lyzac
I just received an offer, and DMU is my no1 choice, so looks like I'll be joining in September :smile: I have a friend on year one, so I know a bit about the course already, but I'm more interested in getting talking with people who I'll be in class with. Anyone else joining, holler at me!

By the by, I made a facebook group for the September 2016 joiners to get to know one another; https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688235314759768/ :smile:

Hey i got an offer on the course too :biggrin: Look forward to meeting you all on September!
I got an interview invitation - really excited as DMU is my first choice whereas Staffordshire Uni is my second. I have a similar question regarding the portfolio - I do have the guide, however i'd like to know if they prefer more traditional mediums like sketches/paintings/etc? I've been so used to digital, I want to get back into traditional sketching but I miss my ctrl+z :P

I was also wondering when showing digital stuff can you show them your online portfolio like Artstation? or does it have to be a physical copy printed off along side your sketchbook? if anyone has advice on presenting your portfolio that would be awesome. :smile:

I look forward to the possibility of meeting you all.
Reply 12
Original post by r_davies94
i'd like to know if they prefer more traditional mediums like sketches/paintings/etc? I've been so used to digital, I want to get back into traditional sketching but I miss my ctrl+z :P

I was also wondering when showing digital stuff can you show them your online portfolio like Artstation? or does it have to be a physical copy printed off along side your sketchbook? if anyone has advice on presenting your portfolio that would be awesome. :smile:

Number one thing they look for is life drawing and other observational stuff, which is typically traditional, but there's no reason it can't be digital.

And yes, my interview was conducted in a computer room and the guy interviewing me logged onto one of the computers for me to pull up my portfolio - I didn't bring my physical one because it didn't contain any artwork that wasn't already in my digital one, which I sent them. They still wanted to look through it, though.

My only advice is, if you have anything in your portfolio that can be fobbed off as life drawing (such as if it was from a photo), do it. They looooove life drawing. But maybe that's just a little dishonest... :wink:
Original post by lyzac
Number one thing they look for is life drawing and other observational stuff, which is typically traditional, but there's no reason it can't be digital.

And yes, my interview was conducted in a computer room and the guy interviewing me logged onto one of the computers for me to pull up my portfolio - I didn't bring my physical one because it didn't contain any artwork that wasn't already in my digital one, which I sent them. They still wanted to look through it, though.

My only advice is, if you have anything in your portfolio that can be fobbed off as life drawing (such as if it was from a photo), do it. They looooove life drawing. But maybe that's just a little dishonest... :wink:

Thanks for your reply and advice :smile: I'll throw a few sketches of still life in there - most of my work is digital based anyway. That's great that they can look at your online portfolio - good to have as backup. Cheers
Reply 14
Original post by r_davies94
Thanks for your reply and advice :smile: I'll throw a few sketches of still life in there - most of my work is digital based anyway. That's great that they can look at your online portfolio - good to have as backup. Cheers

Good luck with your interview! :biggrin:
Cheers! :smile:
Thanks for making the Group! I can't wait to meet everyone in September :smile:
Reply 17
Hi, I just signed my Sheffield unconditional ( I hope its not too late) so hopefully We will meet in September! Nice to meet you all!
Reply 18
Original post by Alfie_

Hi, I've just seen your thread and am starting Game Art at DMU in September and wondered if you could help with a few questions? I am not sure if I should take a laptop (or PC?) with me to to Uni to help with working outside hours. Did people on your course take laptop/pcs (and if so was there a popular kind?) and what programs did they have on them? Any help you can give would be most appreciated...
Original post by Reyalin
Hi, I've just seen your thread and am starting Game Art at DMU in September and wondered if you could help with a few questions? I am not sure if I should take a laptop (or PC?) with me to to Uni to help with working outside hours. Did people on your course take laptop/pcs (and if so was there a popular kind?) and what programs did they have on them? Any help you can give would be most appreciated...

There's a game art group on facebook you can find which is called DMU Game Art 2017. There's people on there who'll answer any questions or concerns you may have about the course. The group also has 3rd year students who have more experience, so it's not just a group of first years and freshers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending