The Student Room Group

Photography Applicants 2016

Who's applying for photography this year? If so where/have you had any offers yet etc? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi :smile: I'm applying to photography this year and have had two offers from south Wales and London South bank. I have an interview for Falmouth next week and still waiting on UAL :smile: where have you applied? Xx
Original post by sdodoherty
Hi :smile: I'm applying to photography this year and have had two offers from south Wales and London South bank. I have an interview for Falmouth next week and still waiting on UAL :smile: where have you applied? Xx

I applied last year but had to defer, i have an unconditional to start at Falmouth in September :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hi Everyone ,

So, I have interviews at Ulster and Falmouth University for BA Hons in Photography. Can anyone offer me any tips about the photography interview process for either universities or in general ?.

Thanks in advance .

Lise
Hiya :smile: I had an interview at Falmouth on the 22nd of Jan and it was really laid back. The main advice I can give is, make sure you know your personal statement well as they quoted mine :P and know how to talk about your work because they did ask some quite detailed questions, for example they asked me why in particular I used a child in one of my images. When really I used my little sister because no one else was available :P the interview was fine though. Be aware that they do take your work in before you to discuss it without you (which is super scary haha) I didn't think my interview went amazingly but I got an offer the other day! So happy :smile: xx
Reply 5
Congratulations on the offer . Thanks for the tips :smile: My interview is via skype /phone on the 24 th feb . Quite nervous lol
I've applied for photography at UWTSD, Kingston uni and the GSA.
Have an offer from UWTSD, and an interview with GSA tomorrow. Still waiting to hear back from Kingston.

As for interviews, I'd just suggest to sit back, relax and be friendly. Be curios, and ask questions. Don't just sit there quietly and listen. Even though you may not talk a lot, make sure what you say shows some interest in the course.
Also. Know your personal statement well (!). If the uni required another essay, know it just as well as your personal statement.
If they ask about influences, inspirations and famous photographers - be honest! If you don't get inspired by, or know of any famous photographers do say so. They appreciate honesty. Instead, explain where you get inspiration from, and why.
That's all I can come up with, really. I'd say to not let your nerves get the best of you may be the most important, though. Don't get all tongue tied, and you'll be fine.
Hello ☺️, I just today had an interview with UAL Camberwell college of arts. The first thing I would say is check the area out first! You need to know where you will be travelling though everyday. And secondly yes...everyday. Camberwell expect you to attend your course every day of the week, weekends are happily encouraged also! For the interview I had a one on one with the course leader on a singular table, this was around other potential students having a one on one also in the same room. He wanted me to pick what I thought to be my best work, and explain why. You must be very well read mentioning all things that you have read and studied. Reference them ALL! What are your favourite writers? They will ask this and much more behind the history and context of your art subject. After he said he would flick through the rest of my portfolio whilst asking me questions such as, who are you looking at at the moment (photographer wise) also books, videos and exhibitions. Where do you see yourself going? Where will your photography take you? When talking about my strongest photographs he asked, how can you make these better, improve them? What are you planning to do next? After this he said would you like to talk to a current student? Obviously I said yes and he left me with the student. They (as more gathered) were very friendly and helpful, they gave me a tour and offered me cake 🤓 Vibe from them made the place seem great and lively!

I was quite nervous as I know I should have been more prepared. I'm not sure what will happen. I hope this helps anyone who will have an interview for photography there!
Good luck all & stay super confident in what you know and love 🙂
Reply 8
Original post by Gamble1994
Hello ☺️, I just today had an interview with UAL Camberwell college of arts. The first thing I would say is check the area out first! You need to know where you will be travelling though everyday. And secondly yes...everyday. Camberwell expect you to attend your course every day of the week, weekends are happily encouraged also! For the interview I had a one on one with the course leader on a singular table, this was around other potential students having a one on one also in the same room. He wanted me to pick what I thought to be my best work, and explain why. You must be very well read mentioning all things that you have read and studied. Reference them ALL! What are your favourite writers? They will ask this and much more behind the history and context of your art subject. After he said he would flick through the rest of my portfolio whilst asking me questions such as, who are you looking at at the moment (photographer wise) also books, videos and exhibitions. Where do you see yourself going? Where will your photography take you? When talking about my strongest photographs he asked, how can you make these better, improve them? What are you planning to do next? After this he said would you like to talk to a current student? Obviously I said yes and he left me with the student. They (as more gathered) were very friendly and helpful, they gave me a tour and offered me cake 🤓 Vibe from them made the place seem great and lively!

I was quite nervous as I know I should have been more prepared. I'm not sure what will happen. I hope this helps anyone who will have an interview for photography there!
Good luck all & stay super confident in what you know and love 🙂

Have you heard back??
Reply 9
I received an unconditional from Camberwell last Tuesday. I told them I wouldn't be able to come for an interview under the assumption that they would ask me to do a skype/phone interview. Oddly, they emailed me asking instead to upload my portfolio on flickr, to write a few sentences about the photos, to answer some written questions, and attach an essay.. with the deadline being the same day I received the email. I didn't see the email until early evening and managed to finish all of that by 10 minutes to midnight!

In hindsight I wish I went for the interview, as other universities have offered me direct entry into 2nd year after interviewing and seeing that I would be able to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Also, for anyone interested, here is the CCA photography blog. I've been trying to get the best sense of the course and school since i'm kicking myself for not going down for a tour or interview.

http://blogs.arts.ac.uk/camberwell/category/photography/

For anyone who has had a tour, I'd like to know what are the studio spaces like? I'm reading on the blog that it's not actually organised by year group which is quite unusual.
Did anyone else get an offer from BA(Hons) Photography at Kingston uni without an interview?
Hi Vonbroten,

Congratulations on getting an offer from us. Please let me know if you have any questions or there is anything I can help you with.

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
The photography course at Coventry is pretty new in the grand scheme of Higher Education but In 2009, it embarked on a revolutionary new concept known as open media where it allowed anyone to come and experience a university module along with all the students simultaneously.

Now in its 7th year, it has attracted a multitude of photographers from around the world to engage and contribute to this expanding concept.

On March 10th, PICBOD (short for picturing the body) launched and is inviting anyone who wants to participate in a degree level photography project to join in alongside the current students.To get involved, start here

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107224455320300602147?cfem=1

and have fun :smile:
Sooo.... Just got en e-mail telling me that my application to the Glasgow school of art for Fine art photography was unsuccessful. Devastated.
Reply 15
Original post by vonbroten
Sooo.... Just got en e-mail telling me that my application to the Glasgow school of art for Fine art photography was unsuccessful. Devastated.

Oh I,m so sorry. I got a rejection from painting and printing last year but I am glad now as it wasn't where I was meant to be. Good luck wherever you decide to go! I am sure you will thrive and meet great people
Original post by Picland
Oh I,m so sorry. I got a rejection from painting and printing last year but I am glad now as it wasn't where I was meant to be. Good luck wherever you decide to go! I am sure you will thrive and meet great people

Thank you. I'm just extremely at loss right now.
Reply 17
Thank you. I'm just extremely at loss right now.

uff
it was just such a long wait to find out as well. Just allow yourself to feel crap about it for a wee while then get back up and at 'em. You got a plan?
Original post by Picland
uff
it was just such a long wait to find out as well. Just allow yourself to feel crap about it for a wee while then get back up and at 'em. You got a plan?

I can't even feel like crap, because I work more than 50% as a waitress/bartender... It's literally in my contract to be smiling and happy at work.
No idea what to do. A lil bit too broken to think roght now. It was my first choice. I guess I could keep my job and save some money.
Also, I'm waiting on a response from the GSA as to why I was rejected. That way, perhaps I'll be able to improve during the next year.
Reply 19
I can't even feel like crap, because I work more than 50% as a waitress/bartender... It's literally in my contract to be smiling and happy at work.
No idea what to do. A lil bit too broken to think roght now. It was my first choice. I guess I could keep my job and save some money.
Also, I'm waiting on a response from the GSA as to why I was rejected. That way, perhaps I'll be able to improve during the next year.

grr my phone does not like typing messages on TSR. Well if its any consolation I am in my thirties (which will seem like a million years away to you) and was too scared of failure to apply in my twenties so be proud of yourself for knowing what you want and going after it at such a young age. Dont be deterred (which I,m sure you wont be). If Glasgow is really where you want to go and you decide to apply again next year then you should say all that in your personal statement. All this will just add to your life experience which makes for a great artist.

Quick Reply

Latest