The Student Room Group

SIXTH FORM HELP IN LONDON :) x

Okay so i have turned 16, I'm in year 11 and go to Fortismere school in North London, I'm kinda done with my school and would like to move for sixth form, a lot of people have a good idea of where they want to go and have applied for many already, however i have no idea and haven't really looked into any, its getting to the point where most applications are due this week and i am started to get worried because i have no options to consider. If anyone could help by suggesting good sixth forms that they know of in north London or even other parts of London, it would be a huge help :smile:))) I'm more academic than creative and on track to get decent grades so I'm not too bothered about the extra curricular side to sixth forms BUT PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD REALLY BE USEFUL, THANK YOU SO MUCH :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I would 100% try to help you with colleges but I live on the wrong side of the Thames to be of any help of you. Just try looking at things and filling in forms as much as possible. Keep in mind what subjects you want to carry on with (if you want people to basically find you a college, this would be super helpful), what distance it is away from you and do you think you can get in there (no point applying to things that are outta your reach).

And don't rely on us to tell you exactly which college you should go to, ultimately it is your choice and if you screw up listening to our 'advice' on which specific college to go to, we aren't going to really be blamed.

Start looking now. Not in the christmas holidays, not tomorrow, not after the kettle is boiled, now.
I hope this somewhat helps you out.
Original post by Aria Enoshima
I would 100% try to help you with colleges but I live on the wrong side of the Thames to be of any help of you. Just try looking at things and filling in forms as much as possible. Keep in mind what subjects you want to carry on with (if you want people to basically find you a college, this would be super helpful), what distance it is away from you and do you think you can get in there (no point applying to things that are outta your reach).

And don't rely on us to tell you exactly which college you should go to, ultimately it is your choice and if you screw up listening to our 'advice' on which specific college to go to, we aren't going to really be blamed.

Start looking now. Not in the christmas holidays, not tomorrow, not after the kettle is boiled, now.
I hope this somewhat helps you out.

haha aw thank you, if you know of any good ones in your area i can look into them, some may be worth the distance, i am looking to study Economics, Chemistry, Politics and either geography or biology. i really am trying and researching but i'm really bad at this sort of stuff and just wondering if anyone who knows a bit more could help, but dw even this comes before a good cuppa :wink:
thank you so much though :smile: x
St Doms , Woodhouse , Westminster , St Pauls
Original post by TSR Mustafa
St Doms , Woodhouse , Westminster , St Pauls

aw im really considering st doms even tho its a little far away it sounds like a good sixth form but i don't know anyone going there and i don't know much about it, do you know anything about it?
Original post by jodie.nicole
aw im really considering st doms even tho its a little far away it sounds like a good sixth form but i don't know anyone going there and i don't know much about it, do you know anything about it?

Message @Dylann . He studied at St Dominic's Sixth Form College.
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Message @Dylann . He studied at St Dominic's Sixth Form College.

aw okay i will thank you so much :smile: where did you go? x
Reply 7
aw okay i will thank you so much :smile: where did you go? x

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2497455

St Dominic's thread I made, has a load of information on it.
Original post by Dylann
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2497455

St Dominic's thread I made, has a load of information on it.

thank you so much, i have read it and it sounds great, do you know if i can book to look around the school as i think i have missed the open day, also is it considered a college or sixth from? it sounds a little like woodhouse
Reply 9
thank you so much, i have read it and it sounds great, do you know if i can book to look around the school as i think i have missed the open day, also is it considered a college or sixth from? it sounds a little like woodhouse

sixth form college, it's basically identical to woodhouse in terms of what it's classified as. I'm not sure if you can look round, I don't even know if term has finished. I think you should apply (deadline is very soon!) and you get a chance to visit in february I think or something.
La Swap is in North London. Not the greatest, not the worst, but lets you pick practically any subject combination you want.
Reply 11
"St Doms isn't THAT great tbh"
- Friends who went there

2 people I know went there and then came back to our 6th form... and got ****ed lmao X'D

But yeah go St Doms or Woodhouse or Wesminster they're all proper posh

I recommend a 6th form that's joined to a school, Whitmore is pretty good :3
I would recommend my own 6th form- Elthorne Park Sixth Form BUT it doesn't offer a level politics. I would also recommend Richmond College which is also really good as my mate goes there.
Original post by Dylann
sixth form college, it's basically identical to woodhouse in terms of what it's classified as. I'm not sure if you can look round, I don't even know if term has finished. I think you should apply (deadline is very soon!) and you get a chance to visit in february I think or something.

yeah ikr the deadline is in like 2 weeks, i just dont want to apply without knowing anything about it. i could try emailing the school, if not i could give it a go and apply. i live practically next to woodhouse but it just doesn't seem like the place for me. thank you
Original post by xvFIRESTORMvx
La Swap is in North London. Not the greatest, not the worst, but lets you pick practically any subject combination you want.

oo that is really good, i have mixed things about la swap, some do great, some do horribly it is one i want to consider tho. thank you very much :smile: X
Original post by z33
- Friends who went there

2 people I know went there and then came back to our 6th form... and got ****ed lmao X'D

ahah ik i have heard of people not doing well but that applies for most places and yeah i agree my school, fortismere has a very good sixth form too as usually the sixth forms attached to schools really assist you with your studies rather than the more independent approach, which i actually like but then there is always a big risk of not fitting in as so many people know each other, thanks for the advise i will check out whitmore x
Original post by TheStudent2013
I would recommend my own 6th form- Elthorne Park Sixth Form BUT it doesn't offer a level politics. I would also recommend Richmond College which is also really good as my mate goes there.

aw thanks i will check them out as politics isnt a must, they sound a little far away but i will deffo look into them all. thank you so much :smile: X
Wish I could help… but alas I also live in the wrong bit of London. Good luck, OP! :h:
Reply 18
Original post by z33
- Friends who went there

People are who considering going to doms/Woodhouse don't normally also consider Westminster, vastly different... (namely the £8k fees or whatever it is at Westminster!) haha.

Whitmore is down the road from St doms and is okay. I would definitely recommend sixth form colleges though because everyone is new and the teachers don't have to waste time with pesky year 8s...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay so i have turned 16, I'm in year 11 and go to Fortismere school in North London, I'm kinda done with my school and would like to move for sixth form, a lot of people have a good idea of where they want to go and have applied for many already, however i have no idea and haven't really looked into any, its getting to the point where most applications are due this week and i am started to get worried because i have no options to consider. If anyone could help by suggesting good sixth forms that they know of in north London or even other parts of London, it would be a huge help :smile:))) I'm more academic than creative and on track to get decent grades so I'm not too bothered about the extra curricular side to sixth forms BUT PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD REALLY BE USEFUL, THANK YOU SO MUCH :smile:

Fortismere have a good sixth form, or at least that was what I thought :s-smilie: My friend went there and enjoyed it

Can you not stay on there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending