The Student Room Group

c1 question

Given thatf(x) = 2x^2 + 8x + 3
(a) find the value of the discriminant of f(x).
(b) Express f(x) in the form p(x + q)2 + r where p, q and r are integers to be found.

The line y = 4x + c, where c is a constant, is a tangent to the curve with equation y = f(x).
(c) Calculate the value of c.

i know how to do a and b, but dont understand c. Could someone explain the question.
Reply 1
Original post by blankboi
Given thatf(x) = 2x^2 + 8x + 3
(a) find the value of the discriminant of f(x).
(b) Express f(x) in the form p(x + q)2 + r where p, q and r are integers to be found.

The line y = 4x + c, where c is a constant, is a tangent to the curve with equation y = f(x).
(c) Calculate the value of c.

i know how to do a and b, but dont understand c. Could someone explain the question.

equate the equation of the curve and the line as if you were looking for intersections.
move to one side as a quadratic in x
then think about the discriminant.
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
equate the equation of the curve and the line as if you were looking for intersections.
move to one side as a quadratic in x
then think about the discriminant.

hm i got 2x^2+4x+3 = c but don't know what to do next. Not sure what to do with the discriminant
Reply 3
Original post by blankboi
hm i got 2x^2+4x+3 = c but don't know what to do next. Not sure what to do with the discriminant

2x2+4x+3 - c = 0
2x2+4x+ (3 - c) = 0

if tangent this discriminant should produce repeated roots
Reply 4
Can anyone explain what this has to do with the discriminant
Reply 5
Original post by Kenny56
Can anyone explain what this has to do with the discriminant

You really shouldn't resurrect 6 year old threads, but this is a standard technique - if a line touches a quadratic curve then solving the resultant quadratic equation should only produce a single (repeated) root which means that the discriminant = 0.

Quick Reply

Latest