The Student Room Group

Integration

Hello everyone,

I need some help with this question:

"Express s as a function of t given that d^2s/dt^2 = at^(1/3), where a is a constant, and tht when t is 0, s is 0 and ds/dt = u"

I've integrated the at^(1/3), but I don't know what to do next?
Original post by Electrogeek
Hello everyone,

"Express s as a function of t given that d^2s/dt^2 = at^(1/3), where a is a constant, and tht when t is 0, s is 0 and ds/dt = u"

By integrating you would've got the first derivative (i.e something + c). You can determine c by using the information that is given.

Once you've done that, integrate once more (you'll get something + another constant) and use the other piece of info to finish it off :smile:
Reply 2
Hello everyone,

my advice is to post a photo of the question
Hello everyone,

Separating the variables to find the general solution. Using the information you have, find a special solution.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Indeterminate
By integrating you would've got the first derivative (i.e something + c). You can determine c by using the information that is given.

Once you've done that, integrate once more (you'll get something + another constant) and use the other piece of info to finish it off :smile:

Would the "c" be equivalent to u? And then derive it in respect to "u"?
Would the "c" be equivalent to u? And then derive it in respect to "u"?

The first bit is right.

Remember that s only depends on t, and so u is just a constant. They could've also said something like "when t is 0, ds/dt is 3". Deal with it in the same way :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
The first bit is right.

Remember that s only depends on t, and so u is just a constant. They could've also said something like "when t is 0, s is 3". Deal with it in the same way :smile:

So... you integrate ((3at^(4/3))/4)+u ?
So... you integrate ((3at^(4/3))/4)+u ?

Yes, with respect to t :smile:
Reply 8
Yes, with respect to t :smile:

Cool. Thank you! :smile:
Cool. Thank you! :smile:

My pleasure! :hat2::smile:

Quick Reply