The Student Room Group

Chemistry Olympiad 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joshthemathmo
I'm not sure, I only found out what grade I got yesterday!

But thanks, and I hope you get what you deserve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 65 and qualified, but I suspect my paper got bumped up a few marks by RSC. In the examiners' report, you can count down from the top score (93) to the 27th score (66), so scores over 66 should qualify.

But I know people who I think scored in between 63 and 74 but didn't qualify, so their marks could've been brought down after RSC moderation. It might be even the case that they look specifically at each individual's script and decide on a case-by-case basis (they, for example, might pick a low scoring candidate who made several silly mistakes over a high scoring standard script). I still think moderation is the most probable factor however, but I'm reasonably certain 68 is a qualifying mark. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
I got 40 so i was 1 mark of a gold. :-(
Got 30, could've gone better...
Ran out of time and didn't finish the paper :frown:
Not had re-mark yet but ~53/54. *jigs* Wasn't expecting anything near there. :biggrin:

I'm 15 so the RSC decided to give my school (6 months old so we've never entered before) the INEOS award, and they're inventing some other prize to give me when I meet them at some point in the next couple of months. They rung up before the grade boundaries were released and said me and my chemistry teacher should go to RSC HQ to have a meeting about my future. :eek:

Not sure I really deserve it because we had revision sessions with my chemistry teacher about the rough topics that were probably gonna be on the test, from looking at past papers and going over the A-level syllabus, so I think I was prepared for it much better than other people were, though it still wasn't on a plate.
I am supposed to be doing the olympaid next year. except from a level textbooks what other books did you use? Would an organic chemsitry textbook be useful as i have heard having a good grounding in organic chemistry helps?
Original post by A.Person
I am supposed to be doing the olympaid next year. except from a level textbooks what other books did you use? Would an organic chemsitry textbook be useful as i have heard having a good grounding in organic chemistry helps?

I read "Why Chemical Reactions Happen" in Feb 1/2 term in year 12 and about 1/3 of "Chemical Structure and Reactivity" , both books by Keeler and Wothers, over the summer between year 12 and 13 in preparation for my uni interview. They definitely helped with the olympiad a bit as well as my interview, although I got thoroughly messed up by the sudden increase in marks and time pressure and kinda flapped it (57) . If you get to round 2 you wanna read the as much of "Chemical Structure and Reactivity" as possible before round 2.

I also read a couple of chapter of "Organic Chemistry" by Clayden, Greaves and Warren, but didn't focus on it as much but used it to supplement the organic chapters of "Chemical Structure and Reactivity"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Millingo_98
I read "Why Chemical Reactions Happen" in Feb 1/2 term in year 12 and about 1/3 of "Chemical Structure and Reactivity" , both books by Keeler and Wothers, over the summer between year 12 and 13 in preparation for my uni interview. They definitely helped with the olympiad a bit as well as my interview, although I got thoroughly messed up by the sudden increase in marks and time pressure and kinda flapped it (57) . If you get to round 2 you wanna read the as much of "Chemical Structure and Reactivity" as possible before round 2.

I also read a couple of chapter of "Organic Chemistry" by Clayden, Greaves and Warren, but didn't focus on it as much but used it to supplement the organic chapters of "Chemical Structure and Reactivity"

Thanks a lot this definitely saved me! And well done on that EXCELLENT mark; i'll give why chemical reactions happen a go though i've heard that it is really challenging and on the oxford reading list.
I'm aiming for a good score though it is my first attempt.
What is the Olympiad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending