The Student Room Group

Women are 35% more likely to go to university than men, the widest gap so far

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bill_Gates
Apprenticeships which are decent are few and far between. Trust me i know a lot of working class kids who would love to do one but can't get onto a decent one. Don't buy into that tory mumbo jumbo about increasing apprenticeships half of them are just modern day slavery. Plus a lot of these skilled professions some still don't want to do hence why they go to foreigners.

Maybe I just live in a good area for apprenticeships, which in some ways wouldn't surprise me, but plenty of my friends have gone on to good apprenticeships at Airbus, Rolls-Royce, Renishaw. They've all been well paid considering age and the amount of time that is spent training and all of them seem very happy with it. The only reason I've heard any of them say they would have rather gone to uni is that living in halls sounds like a good laugh.
Reply 41
Original post by MrKmas508
If I have a sex change they'll have to let me in. I Can Be both a woman and a LGBTETC person.

lols LGBTEC, I like that.
nope.

yes but you get to learn life changing critical skills in military school, men tend to mature later so many dont see university as important as women.
Reply 43
Original post by bassbabe
XXX

Women commit suicide for attention? Disgusting thing to say.

Lols that'd be some extreme Munchausen's.

Men commit suicide more simply because life puts significantly more pressure on men than it does women. Society expects men to be successful and to be providers, whereas women can get by just riding the coat tails of a man. You dont need a study to see that much.
Original post by Dheorl
Maybe I just live in a good area for apprenticeships, which in some ways wouldn't surprise me, but plenty of my friends have gone on to good apprenticeships at Airbus, Rolls-Royce, Renishaw. They've all been well paid considering age and the amount of time that is spent training and all of them seem very happy with it. The only reason I've heard any of them say they would have rather gone to uni is that living in halls sounds like a good laugh.

Jeez you know how few apprenticeships these companies offer in terms of total? Even long term security is not great for these either. Since you're tied into a particular company.

I know Jaguar/Land Rover near me offer apprenticeships a lot of them are just normal jobs been split into 5-6 apprenticeships and the pay reflects that.
Reply 45
Jeez you know how few apprenticeships these companies offer in terms of total? Even long term security is not great for these either. Since you're tied into a particular company.

I know Jaguar/Land Rover near me offer apprenticeships a lot of them are just normal jobs been split into 5-6 apprenticeships and the pay reflects that.

No, I don't know how many they offer, I just know that a lot of my friends did them, have been very happy with them and never seem short of money. Like I say, maybe I'm just in a good area for apprenticeships.

You say long term security isn't good because you're tied to a company. Airbus is the second largest aerospace company in the world. I don't think they're going anywhere any time soon.
Original post by Dheorl
No, I don't know how many they offer, I just know that a lot of my friends did them, have been very happy with them and never seem short of money. Like I say, maybe I'm just in a good area for apprenticeships.

You say long term security isn't good because you're tied to a company. Airbus is the second largest aerospace company in the world. I don't think they're going anywhere any time soon.

Germany to feel brunt of 5,291 Airbus job cuts.

Guess who they get rid of first?!!? Maybe the Chief executive erm no.

Behave.

You have an agenda. No fool should buy into apprenticeship BS they're a tiny minority.
Reply 47
Germany to feel brunt of 5,291 Airbus job cuts.

Guess who they get rid of first?!!? Maybe the Chief executive erm no.

Behave.

You have an agenda. No fool should buy into apprenticeship BS they're a tiny minority.

What agenda do I have? I'm probably going to be spending longer in university than most people on this forum. I'm not saying more women going to uni is a good thing. I'm not saying apprenticeships are a good idea for everyone. I'm just giving anecdotal evidence that I have plenty of friends who did very good apprenticeships with large companies and a few years down the line are still very happy with their choices. A couple of them now have masters degrees in engineering as part of their apprenticeships. I don't think they'd find it any harder to find a job with a different company than a fresh university graduate.

If you want to ignore this statement then that's fine. It's not hard facts. I'm not presenting official numbers. I'm just stating what I've observed from my personal life.
I've graduated. Please don't try to push your pauper apprenticeships as a valid alternative to University.

I know many women graduates who won't even think once about going out with such an individual. 100% none of mine do.

Ahh defensive, let me guess you're a graduate who's not happy with his current job (thinks it's not good enough) or are unemployed?

100% of yours? Yours what??

Depends on the university, if it's not a well established uni, an apprenticeship is probably better.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Ahh defensive, let me guess you're a graduate who's not happy with his current job (thinks it's not good enough) or are unemployed?

100% of yours? Yours what??

Depends on the university, if it's not a well established uni, an apprenticeship is probably better.

Oh no. I'm a millionaire.

Thanks for asking.
Original post by Alaska+
lols LGBTEC, I like that.

It's LGBTETC (et cetera). Yolo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending