The Student Room Group

Southampton or Nottingham for Physics?

I would really appreciate some users of this forums thoughts on this matter. Right now I am stuck as to which university I should put as my firm choice for the MSci Physics course, Nottingham or Southampton. I feel like I prefer the Nottingham Campus is better and they offer a lot in terms of employability skills as well as having the final year of your degree completely free of exams in exchange for other assessments such as presentations. On the other hand, Southampton generally is better when I look at statistics such as percentage of 2:1's (but only by a little), and there is also an option to study space science which is not available at Nottingham. Thanks for your help, right now I am leaning towards Nottingham but I am still really on the fence.
Nottingham-AAB
Southampton-AAA
Leicester AAB
Sussex-AAB (Decided against putting Sussex as a firm or a insurance choice)
(edited 8 years ago)
The percentage of 2:1's tells you little useful information, especially if the methods of assessment in fourth year are so different.

Course links: Nottingham, Southampton

Nottingham's course structure really has me scratching my head. You mostly study a common core in first and second years. In third year it seems like you have about 60 credits (out of 120?) on core modules, then 60 credits of options. The level 3 optional modules probably won't cover all of your interests, so you'll probably end up studying some 'level 4' one-semester modules that can be offered at level 3, for example Quantum Dynamics. The claim that you won't take exams in fourth year doesn't add up. The 'intensive block semester' options are the exam-free modules. You can fill up fourth year with these options and avoid exams. While doing projects and seminars might seem like an epic way to dodge exams, when 1/15 of your final year rides on holding your nerve during a seminar I think you'll realise how dumb an idea that is. On the other hand, I think it's a very good way to study these areas if you want to really build up an interest in them. Nonetheless you might end up taking exams in fourth year.

Southampton's a more standard course. I don't have much more to say to be honest. The choice between the two (in terms of course structure) seems to be more about which areas you're interested in and the modes of study you prefer than the level of the courses. My impression is that Nottingham affords more opportunity for advanced study of more 'experimental physics'-y areas. I suggest plotting out some routes in the programs based on credit counts and which subjects you like (if my impression is right it's 120 credits per year at Nottingham and 120 credits per year at Southampton).
Original post by Unkempt_One
The percentage of 2:1's tells you little useful information, especially if the methods of assessment in fourth year are so different.

Course links: Nottingham, Southampton

Nottingham's course structure really has me scratching my head. You mostly study a common core in first and second years. In third year it seems like you have about 60 credits (out of 120?) on core modules, then 60 credits of options. The level 3 optional modules probably won't cover all of your interests, so you'll probably end up studying some 'level 4' one-semester modules that can be offered at level 3, for example Quantum Dynamics. The claim that you won't take exams in fourth year doesn't add up. The 'intensive block semester' options are the exam-free modules. You can fill up fourth year with these options and avoid exams. While doing projects and seminars might seem like an epic way to dodge exams, when 1/15 of your final year rides on holding your nerve during a seminar I think you'll realise how dumb an idea that is. On the other hand, I think it's a very good way to study these areas if you want to really build up an interest in them. Nonetheless you might end up taking exams in fourth year.

Southampton's a more standard course. I don't have much more to say to be honest. The choice between the two (in terms of course structure) seems to be more about which areas you're interested in and the modes of study you prefer than the level of the courses. My impression is that Nottingham affords more opportunity for advanced study of more 'experimental physics'-y areas. I suggest plotting out some routes in the programs based on credit counts and which subjects you like (if my impression is right it's 120 credits per year at Nottingham and 120 credits per year at Southampton).

Thanks for the reply. As far as the exams in the 4th year for Nottingham I only know what was told to me on the visit day, but 4th year students also seemed to say the same thing so I'm assuming its true. As of right now I am still not sure if it is a positive or a negative; Nottingham is the only university to do this so It could be good in terms of applying for a PHD/ employability skills, but I do think that exams would probably be easier.

I do like studying cosmology at A level so I might be interested in space science at Southampton but otherwise I dont know what areas I would be interested, although I think Nottingham has more options overall.
Original post by StaticImpulse
Thanks for the reply. As far as the exams in the 4th year for Nottingham I only know what was told to me on the visit day, but 4th year students also seemed to say the same thing so I'm assuming its true. As of right now I am still not sure if it is a positive or a negative; Nottingham is the only university to do this so It could be good in terms of applying for a PHD/ employability skills, but I do think that exams would probably be easier.

I do like studying cosmology at A level so I might be interested in space science at Southampton but otherwise I dont know what areas I would be interested, although I think Nottingham has more options overall.

If you want employability skills, get work experience. Going by unistats there's little difference in employment prospects between the two.

Southampton has more astrophysics modules so it might be better if that's what you are into, though since you'll be spending a minority of your time on it I wouldn't focus too much on it and get tunnel vision. Space Science? It seems to be the same as if you picked optional astrophysics modules within the normal physics program, but with some extra Engineering modules (SESA) on spaceships thrown in. Read the descriptions for those modules and see if they appeal to you, but I can assure you studying Engineering is substantially different from studying Astrophysics.

EDIT: If it's just cosmology (as in large scale properties of the universe) you're interested in, Nottingham lets you study more of that than at Southampton with the Modern Cosmology (no exam, fourth year) module. Cosmology and the Early Universe (third or fourth year) at Southampton seems to be equivalent to the Introduction to Cosmology (third year) module at Nottingham.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending