The Student Room Group

Funding for EU students doing graduate medicine

Hello fellow TSRs, especially any EU students who are studying medicine in England! :smile:

I am incredibly lucky to hold an offer for an accelerated 4-year graduate medicine degree. I've been asked to complete a "financial undertaking form" to outline my plans how I will be able to finance my studies, and it was accompanied by a document summarising the funding possibilities for graduate medics: NHS bursary that covers part of the tuition fees, tuition fee loan, maintenance loans, NHS living costs bursary, NHS grant, university-specific bursaries, extra week allowances, etc.

As an EU national, am I eligible to the NHS means-tested bursary for living costs, and NHS grant of £1,000, and maintenance loan by studentfinance/others?

Obviously I will have to phonecall them and will try to discuss this over the phone from tomorrow morning onwards, still I wanted to raise this matter with you guys in case anyone is a EU student too and has been successful or unsuccessful with their application for NHS bursaries other than the tuition fee bursary.

This is because EU students are generally only eligible to tuition fee bursaries by the NHS, and tuition fee loans by StudentFinance/whoever. However, people ordinarily resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of the academic year and who are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the academic year are generally eligible to those extra bursaries e.g. means-tested NHS bursary for living costs. However, they are not if the only or main reason for their residence in the UK was full-time education. However, in my case I was ordinarily resident in the UK for three years when I did my undergrad degree, and am now for another year as I work as a healthcare assistant in the NHS, paying council tax, national insurance etc.

Another question is ... Has anyone here received a grant/bursary from their own country alongside the NHS bursary?

This is a super useful source of information which gives the general answers to my questions, however often statements include words like "might". In my circumstances, as outline above, I might or might not be eligible to the bursary.

It would be amazing if someone can share their experience, or anyone who knows more on this topic can clarify!

All the best
the sweet potato
(edited 8 years ago)
Usually when higher education funding bodies talk about ordinary residence, they usually require you to be "ordinarily resident for the last three years but not for the purpose of education" specifically to exclude students that come from overseas to study in the UK. You would meet the criteria if you had worked for three years after your degree as an HCA, but not one year.

Obviously call them and see what they say but I think this will be the outcome unless there are additional details that haven't been shared here.

You're lucky you're applying this year as the NHS bursary system is ending in 2017...
Original post by MonteCristo
Usually when higher education funding bodies talk about ordinary residence, they usually require you to be "ordinarily resident for the last three years but not for the purpose of education" specifically to exclude students that come from overseas to study in the UK. You would meet the criteria if you had worked for three years after your degree as an HCA, but not one year.

Obviously call them and see what they say but I think this will be the outcome unless there are additional details that haven't been shared here.

You're lucky you're applying this year as the NHS bursary system is ending in 2017...

Thank you, yes, this is what my latest conclusion was. The person on the phone could only advise me to use the eligibility calculator but I don't think that calculator takes into account all variables, and it suggested I would be eligible. I will call them later on again, as there is no NHS bursary for my first year anyway. Perhaps just submit an application, unless that clashes with a only-tuition fee application and could prevent me from getting the tuition fee re-imbursement.

Hmm, if it is ending in 2017, I might be affected because grad medicine students (on accelerated 4-year courses) are only eligible to support through NHS bursaries etc. from year 2 to year 4, my second year will be 2017/18. However, if they replace the bursaries with loans (e.g. better maintenance loans), I might still consider it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending