The Student Room Group

Equilibrium Constant question

Hey, so I am struggling on this question, like increasing the pressure would cause the equilibrium to shift to the side with less number of moles of gases which is the right side, producing more ammonia, so Kp supposedly to increase but why it's incorrect?
Original post by PlayerBB
Hey, so I am struggling on this question, like increasing the pressure would cause the equilibrium to shift to the side with less number of moles of gases which is the right side, producing more ammonia, so Kp supposedly to increase but why it's incorrect?

Nothing can affect Kp apart from temperature.

When you increase the pressure this initially disturbs the equilibrium so that the quotient (of the equilibrium law expression) does not equal the equilibrium constant, Kp.

The system then moves to the side of fewer moles of gas to RESTORE the value of Kp.

If you still do not understand check this out ... www.ibchem.com/drop/swf/equ/equ_pressure.swf
Reply 2
Oh thank you!!, I just keep forgetting that Kp is only affected by temperature!
Sorry for disturbing but do you know what is the meaning of Pt symbol because in another Kp question, the pressure has increased and in the mark scheme they said that the mole fraction of the denominator would increase by * Pt^2, what do they mean by that?
Original post by charco
Nothing can affect Kp apart from temperature.

When you increase the pressure this initially disturbs the equilibrium so that the quotient (of the equilibrium law expression) does not equal the equilibrium constant, Kp.

The system then moves to the side of fewer moles of gas to RESTORE the value of Kp.

If you still do not understand check this out ... www.ibchem.com/drop/swf/equ/equ_pressure.swf
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh thank you!!, I just keep forgetting that Kp is only affected by temperature!
Sorry for disturbing but do you know what is the meaning of Pt symbol because in another Kp question, the pressure has increased and in the mark scheme they said that the mole fraction of the denominator would increase by * Pt^2, what do they mean by that?

I would have to see the question ...
what exam board is this?
Reply 5
Original post by charco
I would have to see the question ...

B(ii) and here is the mark scheme answer attached
Reply 6
Edexcel
Original post by Insurgent007
what exam board is this?
B(ii) and here is the mark scheme answer attached