The Student Room Group

My parents won't let me drink alcohol.

Okay I turn 18 in a few days, my friend and I have decided to go out for some drinks. Her parents are cool, where as mine are not :/

I'm from a slightly traditional indian family. But my dad drinks, it's just my mum wouldn't ever touch the stuff.

Now I don't know what to do :frown: I really want to go, but if my mum (or even my dad) finds out, they will be furious I expect.

Sometimes my mum can be understanding, if I talk to her and say I will only have 1 drink she might be okay with it (but thats a 1 out of a million chance).

Should I tell her? or shall I go anyway and risk her finding out?

It's not fair! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

In a few days you'll be an adult. You can make your own decisions. Why do you care what the internet says?
Just tell your parents you are going somewhere like cinema and go for a drink. You may get caught and get shouted at, but I am sure they would not disown you, life isn't worth living if you do everything by the rules. Go and have fun, but be careful with the amount of alcohol you drink (you don't want to spend your 18th birthday in A & E)!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012
In a few days you'll be an adult. You can make your own decisions. Why do you care what the internet says?

No, I just need some advice :frown:
Reply 4
Its not as hyped up as its said.

If you dint and never do there is nothing you are missing
Have the balls, bahan. I ain't never let tradition stop me, just play safe.
Reply 6
Your dad drinks so why is he being such a hypocrite for? If they find out just turn it onto your dad and say he drinks so why can't i.
Original post by S-man10
Its not as hyped up as its said.

If you dint and never do there is nothing you are missing

i mean you have a point, she's not missing much! but still as a young person she kind of is. have fun.
Original post by Anonymous
No, I just need some advice :frown:

Fine. Go for drinks. Happy now?
Original post by stop888
Your dad drinks so why is he being such a hypocrite for? If they find out just turn it onto your dad and say he drinks so why can't i.

standing up to an asian patriarch takes effort as hell
You don't need to TELL them you're going out to drink! Just go out and have fun, don't let them find out, not like they've attached a spy camera to your clothes (or have they? :tongue:)
Original post by 0123456543210
Just tell your parents you are going somewhere like cinema and go for a drink. You may get caught and get shouted at, but I am sure they would not disown you, life isn't worth living if you do everything by the rules. Go and have fun, but be careful with the amount of alcohol you drink (you don't want to spend your 18th birthday in A & E)!

You are right, telling her would be ridiculously stupid. Sometimes I suppose I get a bit too optimistic. Thanks, I will lie, I will say I'm going to my friends house or something.
Original post by 0123456543210

The cinema trick served me well from 16 till i was legal. I would even come home plastered and they didnt even know :colonhash:
Original post by Mr.Malice

You can't win. His parents won't find out anyway, unless they've got people spying on him secretly
Original post by stop888

I know, it's hypocritical. I hate it. But my mum thinks drinking is only for the men in the family, that it's sinful to even touch it...

an no, I don't get it either :s-smilie:

Original post by Mr.Malice

and fails most of the time...
Original post by stop888
You can't win. His parents won't find out anyway, unless they've got people spying on him secretly

I'm a girl :redface: which makes it a bit worse for them I suppose.
Original post by A level sufferer
The cinema trick served me well from 16 till i was legal. I would even come home plastered and they didnt even know :colonhash:

How did you hide it?

I mean I live in my room anyway, so I will probably just go straight upstairs.
Original post by Anonymous
I know, it's hypocritical. I hate it. But my mum thinks drinking is only for the men in the family, that it's sinful to even touch it...

an no, I don't get it either :s-smilie:

and fails most of the time...

That double standard :colonhash: What religion are you anyway?

:toofunny: the excuses I gave when i was a teen. i'd come home spinning n reeking but got nooo questions.

I remember how once I figured that my parents would let me to spend a night at a friend's house as long as it was a close friend and given that he/she had a birthday (giving me a chance to get mortal at night), I had been at 'birthday parties' like 3 times in a week.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending