The Student Room Group

Can I get in to a Russell group university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gromit1997
My A level grades are ACC, I know for Russell group universities you should have ABB but one of my C grades was so close to a B, with such grades is there any chance of me getting in at all?

Thank you:smile:

my brother got into Leicester with A*CC, pretty much what you got! What subjects do you have at a level and what subject do you want to do at uni? I'd say if you have the A in the related subject, you should be fine.
Original post by emiloujess
Don't go by league tables, they don't mean anything if you're going to spend 3 years at a university being miserable.

100% agree. Never let a couple of places difference in a table decide your future; go to open days if you can, talk to not just the academics but also regular students to understand what life is like there and whether it fits with your interests. Also try to get to know what the university can do for you career-wise. I'm going to be working in an economics research consultancy next year as a placement, which should do wonders for applying to jobs in my final year - I would definitely consider finding a university that offers these if you want more secure job prospects on graduation.

Edit: That last bit might or might not mean that you should perhaps look beyond what is in the Russell Group or not. I.e. Bath, Surrey and Loughborough are all decent places to study that offer professional placements.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pro Crastination
100% agree. Never let a couple of places difference in a table decide your future; go to open days if you can, talk to not just the academics but also regular students to understand what life is like there and whether it fits with your interests. Also try to get to know what the university can do for you career-wise. I'm going to be working in an economics research consultancy next year as a placement, which should do wonders for applying to jobs in my final year - I would definitely consider finding a university that offers these if you want more secure job prospects on graduation.

Edit: That last bit might or might not mean that you should perhaps look beyond what is in the Russell Group or not. I.e. Bath, Surrey and Loughborough are all decent places to study that offer professional placements.

100% this!

(do you mind me asking which uni you're at?)
Reply 43
Honestly getting into a Russell group uni is so easy, people make it out to be much harder than it is, BBB+ and you're in seriously. If you're not too picky about the course that is. With ACC you can definitely get it in if your A was in a good subject like Maths or a science.
100% this!

(do you mind me asking which uni you're at?)

I'm doing economics at Bath :smile: (Also a huge Trudeau fan! - I think that's your profile pic as far as I can make out aha)
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm doing economics at Bath :smile: (Also a huge Trudeau fan!)

Oh, cool! :smile: I'm hoping for Social Analytics and Politics at Cardiff :smile:

and yaaay, finally someone who knows who he is! :woo::woo:
Oh, cool! :smile: I'm hoping for Social Analytics and Politics at Cardiff :smile:

and yaaay, finally someone who knows who he is! :woo::woo:

just to wander in here!

you will love cardiff!! Im a first year medic here, and even though our courses differ huge I have not yet one person in cardiff who doesnt love the vibe!!

on another note, IGNORE THE RUSSEL GROUP STATUS! look at universities if you want to look at ranks based on your course rather than overall!!
cardiff is quite low down in the rankings overall, yet is 3rd (above all london unis) for medicine, and its course was to die for! so it was an obvious choice for me!

I know people who have graduated with the same degree classification from russel group and none russel group and it makes no difference, its all about the course and the prospects they provide you help to gain, so look into that rather than their rank on the russel group scale!
Original post by Natalierm2707
just to wander in here!

you will love cardiff!! Im a first year medic here, and even though our courses differ huge I have not yet one person in cardiff who doesnt love the vibe!!

on another note, IGNORE THE RUSSEL GROUP STATUS! look at universities if you want to look at ranks based on your course rather than overall!!
cardiff is quite low down in the rankings overall, yet is 3rd (above all london unis) for medicine, and its course was to die for! so it was an obvious choice for me!

I know people who have graduated with the same degree classification from russel group and none russel group and it makes no difference, its all about the course and the prospects they provide you help to gain, so look into that rather than their rank on the russel group scale!

I've fallen in love with Cardiff already, and I've only been there once! I don't normally like cities (I have social anxiety) but Cardiff just seemed so... friendly! I hope I get in though... Psychology A2 is so hard and I have a feeling I won't get any higher than a C :frown:

I haven't looked at the league tables much at all - I just went by the course and the feel of the university. I love old buildings, hence Cardiff and Aberystwyth.
I've fallen in love with Cardiff already, and I've only been there once! I don't normally like cities (I have social anxiety) but Cardiff just seemed so... friendly! I hope I get in though... Psychology A2 is so hard and I have a feeling I won't get any higher than a C :frown:

I haven't looked at the league tables much at all - I just went by the course and the feel of the university. I love old buildings, hence Cardiff and Aberystwyth.

cardiff is fab honestly, im from manchester and cardiff to me is just a town with all the amenities of a huge city as well as loads of culture, whats not to love!

and league tables dont matter, what matters is what you get out of your degree!

cardiff seemed to be quite lienient on grades this year, my flatmate got an AAB offer for english and got in on BBB, so lets hope if something does go wrong (which im sure it wont) they will be understanding!
Adjustment or just apply the next year and take a gap year if it's that important to you. :smile:
cardiff is fab honestly, im from manchester and cardiff to me is just a town with all the amenities of a huge city as well as loads of culture, whats not to love!

and league tables dont matter, what matters is what you get out of your degree!

cardiff seemed to be quite lienient on grades this year, my flatmate got an AAB offer for english and got in on BBB, so lets hope if something does go wrong (which im sure it wont) they will be understanding!

I live in Stratford-Upon-Avon. I won't be in student accommodation though as I currently live in my college accommodation and haven't liked it much because of aforementioned anxiety and sensitivity to noise (luckily I have understanding flatmates this year)

It sounds great! :smile: I think it's just because I love Wales, and may or may not want to learn Welsh... :colondollar: but I should be able to get great work experience in Cardiff, depending on what happens next May. No they shouldn't. After all everyone has different needs when looking for their dream uni and the league tables likely have different needs/requirements to be top.

Not gonna lie, that's a small relief to hear... I know that it varies between years and courses but it's a little comforting to know that they CAN be lenient... I'll be disappointed in myself if I don't get ABB though :frown:
I live in Stratford-Upon-Avon. I won't be in student accommodation though as I currently live in my college accommodation and haven't liked it much because of aforementioned anxiety and sensitivity to noise (luckily I have understanding flatmates this year)

It sounds great! :smile: I think it's just because I love Wales, and may or may not want to learn Welsh... :colondollar: but I should be able to get great work experience in Cardiff, depending on what happens next May. No they shouldn't. After all everyone has different needs when looking for their dream uni and the league tables likely have different needs/requirements to be top.

Not gonna lie, that's a small relief to hear... I know that it varies between years and courses but it's a little comforting to know that they CAN be lenient... I'll be disappointed in myself if I don't get ABB though :frown:

just out of curiosity where are you going to live?

also try not to worry so much about it, just try as hard as you can.
just out of curiosity where are you going to live?

also try not to worry so much about it, just try as hard as you can.

There are some pretty cheap flats about that I've got my eye on... :colondollar:

I'll try :smile: Just realised we're the same age :eek: (I was kinda forced to repeat year 12)
There are some pretty cheap flats about that I've got my eye on... :colondollar:

I'll try :smile: Just realised we're the same age :eek: (I was kinda forced to repeat year 12)

one thing I will say about cardiff is that it is incredibly party focussed, and if your like me (hate clubs, hate drinking, hate having to smile when a drunk person is throwing up on you) then it might seem overwhelming at first. but there is so much going on outside of drinking and partying!

make sure you get involved in a society and have a great time!

as for flats try to make sure they are close to cathays! you dont want to be wandering through cardiff for an hour to get to a lecture!
one thing I will say about cardiff is that it is incredibly party focussed, and if your like me (hate clubs, hate drinking, hate having to smile when a drunk person is throwing up on you) then it might seem overwhelming at first. but there is so much going on outside of drinking and partying!

make sure you get involved in a society and have a great time!

as for flats try to make sure they are close to cathays! you dont want to be wandering through cardiff for an hour to get to a lecture!

Another reason why I want to get my own flat - if I feel overwhelmed then I can just go back there. I'm sure I can find a few quiet spots too :smile:

I will definitely try (this is all assuming I even make it to Cardiff...)

and yeah the ones I've found are pretty close - I don't want to be walking for any more than half an hour ideally.

Thank you for all the advice, it's great to hear that you're enjoying uni! :h:
Reply 55
someone got into my russell group uni with BBC so anything is possible
Reply 56
Original post by XcitingStuart
Would be starting Arabic/Russian and Arabic ab inito.
I've only done German to AS level going on A2.

Ahh ok, sounds good! I wish you the best of luck with it!:smile:
Reply 57
I couldn't say exactly for either with the (lack of) information I currently have to hand. Look at stuff like applications-to-places ratios, and have a look around on TSR/elsewhere to check whether the particular course routinely goes into clearing (and to what extent it does so asking for grades below those asked for in their prospectus).

Yeah, that will give me more of an idea about it. Thank you for your suggestions:smile:
Reply 58
Original post by tillhey
someone got into my russell group uni with BBC so anything is possible

Really? What uni and course was that for? Do you know if that was through clearing or anything or just normally applying?
Reply 59
Original post by jam277
Adjustment or just apply the next year and take a gap year if it's that important to you. :smile:

I am already doing a gap year but thanks anyway!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending