The Student Room Group

Can I get in to a Russell group university?

My A level grades are ACC, I know for Russell group universities you should have ABB but one of my C grades was so close to a B, with such grades is there any chance of me getting in at all?

Thank you:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Read the admission requirements for courses you're interested in and you can answer your own question.
Original post by gromit1997
My A level grades are ACC, I know for Russell group universities you should have ABB but one of my C grades was so close to a B, with such grades is there any chance of me getting in at all?

Yes just smash your A2's and you can go through on adjustment

Are these your overall A-Level grades? Then it's unlikely as you aren't fulfilling the course reqs unless you're retaking anything in which case definitely go for it! If they're AS then as long as you have the required predicted grades, you stand a chance.

Also check to make sure that it IS ABB, as I've seen some courses at AAB or AAA.

and bear in mind that going to an RG uni isn't everything - all it means is that they're research-intensive, nothing else. Doesn't necessarily mean you'll be better off there or you'll get a better job from it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by A level sufferer
Yes just smash your A2's and you can go through on adjustment

The thing is these are my A2's!
Reply 5
Original post by emiloujess
Are these your overall A-Level grades? Then it's unlikely as you aren't fulfilling the course reqs unless you're retaking anything in which case definitely go for it! If they're AS then as long as you have the required predicted grades, you stand a chance.

Also check to make sure that it IS ABB, as I've seen some courses at AAB or AAA.

and bear in mind that going to an RG uni isn't everything - all it means is that they're research-intensive, nothing else. Doesn't necessarily mean you'll be better off there or you'll get a better job from it.

Yes these are my final grades and I already did two exam retakes, I think some arw ABB but quite a lot are AAB.

Also I'm in now way saying other universities are bad, but employers do take into account where you got your degree from don't they?
The thing is these are my A2's!

They tend to be below what russell group Uni's ask for but it depends on the course and subscription. I'd say apply to 1 or 2 and see what happens or you can try when clearing opens
Yes these are my final grades and I already did two exam retakes, I think some arw ABB but quite a lot are AAB.

Also I'm in now way saying other universities are bad, but employers do take into account where you got your degree from don't they?

Very risky then IMO :frown: Maybe you could try one but it's unlikely, just make sure you have other solid choices. Which ones are you thinking of, and for what course?

From what I've read on TSR... no, they don't. :smile:
Reply 8
Very risky then IMO :frown: Maybe you could try one but it's unlikely, just make sure you have other solid choices. Which ones are you thinking of, and for what course?

Cambridge v UEL (Massive difference in the degree value)

Queen Mary vs Exeter (Not really a difference)

It depends on the RG University OP is applying to.
Original post by Zer0.
Cambridge v UEL (Massive difference in the degree value)

Queen Mary vs Exeter (Not really a difference)

It depends on the RG University OP is applying to.

Obviously Oxbridge is an exception.
Reply 10
Original post by A level sufferer
They tend to be below what russell group Uni's ask for but it depends on the course and subscription. I'd say apply to 1 or 2 and see what happens or you can try when clearing opens

Yes I have lower grades than what they ask for but it was so close, one of the C grades was 5 marks off a B, it was one exam that brought it down.

I'm looking for courses like International Relations and languages, maybe history.
Reply 11

Ok, so the courses I would like to do are in the subject area of international relations, languages and history.

I looked into Oxford Brookes, is that uni good?
Probably, to be perfectly honest. Perhaps not a very competitive course at a not-so-competitive university, though.
Reply 13
Obviously Oxbridge is an exception.

Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham..
Reply 14
Original post by Pro Crastination
Probably, to be perfectly honest. Perhaps not a very competitive course at a not-so-competitive university, though.

What would you say is a not very competetive course or competetive university?
why can't you retake your C grades?
Ok, so the courses I would like to do are in the subject area of international relations, languages and history.

I looked into Oxford Brookes, is that uni good?

Not on league tables, no, but I've visited the university and am familiar with Oxford. The uni itself was lovely, it's even won architecture awards from what I was told. Oxford's a great city too - I have social anxiety and it wasn't triggered as there aren't too many crowds but you do't feel secluded either. Plus the train links are great :smile: Don't go by league tables, they don't mean anything if you're going to spend 3 years at a university being miserable.

I've applied for Politics related courses :smile:
Original post by Zer0.
Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham..

Not saying RG unis aren't good, just as I'm not saying non-RGs are rubbish - just saying going for an RG uni just because it IS an RG uni is pointless. When selecting a uni you need to look past the name and looks at the individual uni. I'm firming an RG myself so I'm not one of those people who say that RG unis aren't good because I'm not at one. Of course some unis are going to have better employment prospects than others but what's the point in going to it if you're going to be miserable and not get as good a degree?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21279-Are-you-blinded-by-the-Russell-Group%E2%80%99s-halo

(because I fell in love with Cardiff, not because it's an RG uni)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Not on league tables, no, but I've visited the university and am familiar with Oxford. The uni itself was lovely, it's even won architecture awards from what I was told. Oxford's a great city too - I have social anxiety and it wasn't triggered as there aren't too many crowds but you do't feel secluded either. Plus the train links are great :smile: Don't go by league tables, they don't mean anything if you're going to spend 3 years at a university being miserable.

I've applied for Politics related courses :smile:

I see, ok, it sounds very good:smile:
Just out of interest what universities did you apply for?:smile:
I see, ok, it sounds very good:smile:
Just out of interest what universities did you apply for?:smile:

Aberystwyth, Birmingham, Cardiff (x2) and Swansea. I've firmed Cardiff (Social Analytics & Politics) and put Aberystwyth as my insurance (International Politics & Intelligence Studies). I did not firm Cardiff because it was an RG but because I went to visit it on a whim and fell in love with it completely. Plus I can get great work experience there and the course is unique :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending